Help! Broad heads hitting low!

Johnboy

WKR
Went to the shop afterwork and had him check the cam timing. He put 1-1/2 twists to advance the top cam. I think that’s quite a bit. I did put a new string on this spring. I wonder if it stretched ? Going to try broad heads again tomorrow after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three things:
1) I would check cam stop timing now, as 1.5 twists will dramatically change the stop synchronization.
2) Easiest way to rule out arrow spine issues is to back off on your draw weight and re-test broadhead flight. Maybe try backing down a few turns to see what it does. You can always return it to the original draw weight.
3) I generally try to only apply full twists to my cables to prevent the bends in the serving to reverse, causing serving separation.

dtrkyman

WKR
1.5 twists in a bowtech overdrive cam system is a ton. They react to half twists dramatically, so either you were way off or he went overboard! Did he check timing with a draw board?

Using the limb bolts as stated above to adjust draw weight is a good option, also you can have the limb bolts uneven , your limbs are not all exactly matched!

Backyard

WKR
I would suggest bare shaft tuning. Look up some vids.
A lot of people don't realize that the real reason for a broadhead impacting the target left, right, up, or down from the the same arrow with a FP is because the rest isn't set up exactly as it should be.
On an arrow tipped with just a FP the vanes tend to straighten out a crooked launch. Where as with a BH on the same arrow, the BH acts a vane up front catching air immediately upon release and veering in the direction that the rest is off, not ever really straightening out before hitting the target. In turn, the reason that you can't get them to impact the same.
You may end up pulling out a little hair in the process, but believe me it's worth it. I had the very same problem that youre having, and decided to try it because it makes sense, and now my BH's hit exactly where my FP's hit every time.

Good Luck!

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I put on a large Magnus 2 blade for tuning. The extra blade surface helps accentuate tuning issues. Once I'm tuned with the Magus my bow will group my Slick tricks right in with field points. I do my tuning when I adjust my setup, not just prior to season. Doesn't make since to me to practice with a bow that's out of tune.

I do the walk back tuning for my rest, and then cam tuning and Y harness tuning on my bow. It takes a bit of back and forth to sneak up on the perfect setting, but once you get it the arrows fly true.

I have one of those cable bow presses so I can do my own string twisting at my house while I'm shooting.

Last edited:
I think you’re making to much out of this. Just adjust your sight bracket so your shooting your Broadheads accurately and go hunting! Who cares where your field points are hitting for now!! Good luck on your hunt!

OP
Olbadae

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully able to shoot agin after work today and see where I am at. What cable bow press do you guys use that works with bow tech?

2blade

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully able to shoot agin after work today and see where I am at. What cable bow press do you guys use that works with bow tech?

I don't know how wide those limbs are, but I use a Synunm Portable Bow Press on my Xpedition and Obsession Turmoil with those past parallel limbs.

Brendan

WKR
Reset cam timing dead even. Reset arrow level. Check for fletching contact on the rest - that can drive you crazy and can keep you from tuning in. That last one is stupid easy - spray on foot powder on the rest and then just take a couple shots...

I haven't run the numbers, but depending on how long you have your arrow cut, you could be just a little weak. Would be pretty easy to test by turning down the limb bolts or testing with 100 gr heads. Don't think this is it though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Small adjustments in your control cable (from the top) can go a LONG ways in correcting BH elevation in relation to FP's.

Also, your title says "BH's hitting low" but your post says "hitting high"???????

OP
Olbadae

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry. Title is wrong. Still no chance to get to the range.... hopefully tomorrow and I can give an update.

OP
Olbadae

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, had a chance to hit the range the other day..... even after the adjustments to the cam timing I was still not able to get my BH to tune in. So, after careful deliberation I adjusted my whole nick point up a hair over 1/8”..... after raising my rest a bit to coincide with the knock adjustment and a few minor tweaks, my BH are now hitting about 2” low at 50yrds. I’m pretty happy with this. I’m pretty sure that I will be able to improve on this as well as I get a few more chances to shoot. I’m wondering if my knock point may have been off from when I had my new sting put on this spring?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m wondering if my knock point may have been off from when I had my new sting put on this spring?

Ya it helps to have the nocking point and rest set up in the right spots from the start. However, even 1/8" low it's still possible to tune everything as long as you have good clearance from the shelf. In fact, the bow will most likely hold better with a lower nock point too. But the rest you use will dictate just how low you can go.