Optics Warranty...Is this normal?

Moneyball

WKR
Question for you guys as this is a first for me. I have never sent in any optics for repair or servicing. I sent in a pair of Zeiss binocs, and I got a notification that they were received by Zeiss, July 6. I was told in the original confirmation of arrival email that due to "increase in volume of repair requests" that it would take 1 week for shipping, 2-4 weeks for inspection and repair, and 1 week for return shipping. They did have to send my binocs to Wetzlar, Germany, which I understand may take a little more shipping time. I have sent them multiple emails, and they replied to me on August 27th that I would have shipping confirmation soon, and I should be receiving them within 2 weeks. This Thursday will be the 12-week mark, a little longer than the original 6 week estimate, even if I add time for shipping to Germany it still seems quite a bit longer than expected. I have not received any confirmation email from Zeiss or shipping notifications. For those of you that have been through the process...Is this normal?? Lets please keep this to a warranty process conversation and not a "Should of bought Leica, Swaro, Vortex...." Thanks in advance for your input and help!

wyosteve

WKR
That sounds about like my experience sending a pair of Zeiss binos in for service. My most frustrating part was that they didn't maintain contact with me so it was only on my inquiry that I received info.

Shrek

WKR
This is typical for Zeiss. I’ve had to send a scope back twice for a bad erector and theee of my friends have also. Shortest turn around was 9 weeks and the longest was 14 weeks. Complete black hole as far as communication. I don’t buy Zeiss anymore. Swarovski is fantastic as far as service goes.

Btw , the service I received from Swarovski was completely my fault and they went way above what I expected. I’ve never had anything Swarovski actually fail due to defect.

Last edited:
OP
M

Moneyball

WKR
Thank you for the replies. It has been frustrating for sure. Sounds like lack of communication and long turn around time is the rule and not the exception. Disappointing, as the optics are outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
Took leupold 5 weeks to fix a scope.
Took Vortex 10 days to fix binoculars.

Only experience Ive had w optics and warranty

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve had my Victory HTs with Zeiss for the last three weeks. They sent me an email saying that they couldn’t be repaired in New York and had to be sent to Germany. Offered me a loaner pair of binoculars, which I declined. I didn’t get a reply email to my confirmation email for them to send the binoculars to Germany, but that’s the only time I haven’t gotten some sort of response from them. Time will tell how long they will be gone for, as I’m not yet past their time estimate.

gwtravis

Lil-Rokslider
i have experience with vortex and cabela’s euro binos.

Vortex upgraded a 65mm spotter with the HD version with a 4 week turnaround.

Cabela’s simply replaced my Euro 10x42s in the store.

robie

WKR
One of the main reason I went with Swaro. I've heard Leica is horrible and zeiss is ok but not great.

OP
M

Moneyball

WKR
Thanks for the input everyone. Pretty interesting the difference in services and experiences. Many companies have "lifetime" warranties, looks to me like each company varies in the way they honor it. I think it shouldn't matter if the optic is $300 or $3,000. If a company says they are going to stand behind their product, they should. Plain and simple.

OP
M

Moneyball

WKR
That is a pretty solid move by them for offering you a loaner pair. I was not offered a loaner pair.

Just started the process with Swarovski and they are saying in between 6 to 8 weeks. Hopefully they will come through on free repair work under the warranty

tracker12

WKR
I sent in a rangefinder to Leica a fews years ago and they sent me a new upgraded on in 2 weeks.

Shrek

WKR
I sent in a rangefinder to Leica a fews years ago and they sent me a new upgraded on in 2 weeks.
They certainly had a bad reputation in years past but I’ve heard better reports recently. I know of a couple of people they took care of and gave good communication letting them know what to expect.

Fatcamp

WKR
Nikon=months
Leupold=weeks

My only experience. Multiples of both. Leupold stuff was not their fault. Nikon was for sure.

OP
M

Moneyball

WKR
UPDATE:

I just received an email from Zeiss that they are going to be sending me a new pair of binoculars. They explained that I should be receiving a shipping notification as soon as they go out...

That's awesome service right there. Sent in my Swaros yesterday so I'll be curious to see how they match up service/time wise

Shrek

WKR
That's awesome service right there. Sent in my Swaros yesterday so I'll be curious to see how they match up service/time wise
What’s awesome about them acknowledging receiving them July 6 and it’s now September 18th and he doesn’t have binoculars in hand ? It’s now hunting season...

OP
M

Moneyball

WKR
What’s awesome about them acknowledging receiving them July 6 and it’s now September 18th and he doesn’t have binoculars in hand ? It’s now hunting season...

That’s kind of where I’m at with it. When they gave me the original estimate I figured that I would have them back in plenty of time. I have a spare pair that I’ve been using but I incorrectly assumed I would have gotten them back before hunting season

ndbuck09

WKR
My buddy's Vortex Razors had internal fogging going on in Alaska in August and when we got back to Fairbanks he called Vortex and they asked if there were any hunting stores around, which there's a Sportsmans Warehouse. They called Sportsmans and set it up and we went there 2 hours later and he got a completely new box and gave them the binos that were bad. Done deal. That's really legit!