San Juan mountain range

Ruskin

WKR
Just left there on Wednesday. F'n hot for elk hunting. Shut things down for the last week or so. As i left it looked like rain was moving in which could change everything, so check the weather to see if that actually happened.

We did get some rain a few nights ago but by noon the next day it was dry again.

Where you looking to hunt in the SJ mountains?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How’s the weather looking up there bout to make the trip up there in a few hours

Are you sightseeing? A lot of the Aspen leaves are already on the ground.......the color peak is past. Woke up to snow above timberline yesterday morning after drizzle rain most the day and night Wed.

It was a little odd as the bulls were bugling Tuesday evening and Wed morning. Then they were screaming from 10:30pm to 6:00am Wed night until Thursday morning. But right at 6am every single one of them shut down completely, as if someone flipped a switch. It was still dark out, and silence the rest of the morning.

A few years ago it was hot and dry and the bulls were screaming. Then a cold front moved in and it snowed above timberline. I didn't hear another bugle for 3 days after that.

Just got home today from there. As others have said, hot and dry till Wednesday, Rained on and off all day. Then cleared up Thursday. Leaves were changing.
eb2db83fa24c8584d0ab6f002acc207f.jpg
59b712308acd6a2fad537e0ea7dfb57b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

On the way home right now from there. Like others said it was hot until wednesday and then cooled down. The elk werent talking at all until last night on the hike out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Was up there Friday early morning left last night after dark was hot and dry like y’all said.... bulls however were talking yesterday all morning til about noon and the night before as well.... i worked one bull all morning yesterday about 3 hours got him to 45 yards on an opposite hill but he was behind a couple aspens.... then the thermals swirled going up and he trotted up the mountain and went silent.... were at least 4 other bugles couple mountains over...... first elk hunt ever I learned a lot and got my ass kicked.... I’m just on cloud 9 that I even got one to come in to see it..... amazing experience

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Savage

He bugled like 50 yards from me..... and that alone was insane and loud absolutely nothing else like it..... I’m beyond hooked