Lessons Learned - Overlooked and Utilized Planning on Solo DIY Backcountry Trips

cfdjay

WKR
I wanted to do a little write up on my experience because I truly don't want to see any of my fellow outdoorsmen go through what I did/am at the moment. Let me start by saying these things are all relative to what I consider real "tragedy" or real "problems". It was time, it was money, and it was headache. All of which, in the grand scheme of things, are nonsense.

On Aug 15 I set out on what would be one of the longest and mistake-laden, near-miss tragedy trips in my life. I hope with sharing these lessons and experiences it will spawn some "Ah ha" moments, spark some ideas, or at a minimum, start a healthy conversation on trip prep. I'm going to write this the best way I can in the sense of the problem, the prep and/or planning that solved said problem or the lack of each that led to bigger problems. Sometimes, even through all the planning and preparation, we don't know what we don't know. It ends up being reactive instead of proactive.

My trip would begin in Wyoming for Antelope and move on to Colorado for Elk. On day 4 after killing my antelope, I drove around with a friend who was a local, glassing and looking for elk just to pass the time before I got on the road. I left my bino harness which included my rangefinder and binos in his truck. I didn't realize it until I got to Colorado. Thank goodness for my friend. He was able to overnight them to my lodging in Colorado.

Once in Colorado it was smooth sailing..until it wasn't. I made it down a treacherous driveable trail realizing that if something happens to my truck up there, I'm screwed. After 3 days and no elk in spot "x" I decided to head back to the trailhead and resupply before moving on to spot "y" off the same trailhead. Once at the truck, I felt in my pocket for my keys and realized my pocket was inside out and my keys were gone. I was stranded. I was able to reach some family via my Inreach and they overnighted a spare set to some friends in Colorado. They were up for an adventure and personally delivered the keys to me at the trailhead. Talk about good friends.

After those hiccups the trip was fairly normal with the pains of uncontrollable things like weather and other hunters. Pretty typical and expected. After exhausting all my planned spots and being overrun with disrespectful hunters (that's another story in and of itself) I decided to call it a trip. I packed up and headed back to Wyoming to pick up my antelope meat my buddy was keeping in his freezer for me. I was 5 miles from town going 80 mph when I lost power steering. I limped to the berm and popped to hood and had a small fire in the engine compartment. I was able to extinguish it with the ol' thumb over the end of a shaken Monster can technique. Called AAA and had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership. This is where the fun begins.

After contacting my insurance I was told it would take 7-10 days to get an adjuster to where I was. Unacceptable. I don't have that kind of time to sit here in a hotel of which they weren't going to reimburse me for. They would not cover lodging or a rental. So there I sat, 1300 miles from home with very few options. Several thousand dollars later and a uhaul rental, yes a uhaul, I finally made it back.

I already know 100% some of you have slapped your forehead and said to yourself "what a dumbass" or what a "rookie". I honestly don't care. I'm willing to take the role if reading this saves someone what I just went through. The BS does NOT IN ANY WAY overshadow the amazing experience I had.

Lessons

1) Have some sort of assured communication. My Inreach was priceless
2) Not always possible but try to have someone within reasonable distance you can count on
3) I highly recommend AAA Premium. The trip interruption reimbursement is going to help a ton. Assuming they honor it
4) Have a plan for "must have" items. A second set of vehicle keys is one of them.
5) This to me is probably the most important and overlooked one. Contact your insurance with "what if" scenarios. I'd recommend email so you have it writing. Good luck sifting through your policy. Make them spell it out for you. Your agents word isn't necessarily Gospel. For example: My vehicle insurance covers me on rental cars. I assumed that works for Uhaul since, well, it's a RENTAL. Nope. Had to get uhaul's insurance because it's considered commercial. Devil is in the details.

Soooooo, I hope maybe this can help someone. If any questions come up I'll do my best to answer them. Maybe some of these things seem like common sense. They were to me after the fact....

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Live and learn. Nothing to be ashamed about there.

I can add some too.
After killing my antelope on the first day. I headed to Fort Collins to visit my brother for a couple of days. Things going on with the church he is starting kept him from leaving the same day as me.

Spot #1, There was water but no elk.
Spot #2, No water. I could see elk 2000' down on private land. Being a flatlander by myself. I just cant see me toting an elk out of one of those hell holes by myself. Even though I did plenty of pack training.
Spot #3, Heres were the fun starts. I am on a county maintained gravel road. I get a flat tire. Its almost 10 oclock. So I just crawl in the back and go to sleep. I get up change the tire and head back to town. (I did climb up on a butte and glass for the fisrt 2 hours)
After getting tire plugged I'm back in there. I spend the next two days on backroads and 2 tracs. I decide to head to a new spot. 200 yards from the paved road I ran over something that busted my tire. Now the fun begins. I cant get the lug nuts off, 4 hours and $140 for road side assistance we finaly got the spare on. ( I would like to thank all of the fine local folks who stopped to help out ) 1/2 a day and $430.00 dollars later I'm ready to go.
I cant imagine how bad it would have sucked if it had happened when I was 20 something miles back in.
Spot #4 - This is a unit my brother wanted to visit. Long and short of it. I really didn't do my due diligence on it. By the time we figured out what was going on my hunt was over.

Lesson learned,
Good tires. Mine had some life left. If I could do it again I would buy some new ones for the trip and put the old ones back on if I had too.
Break loose all your lug nuts be fore you leave. You never no what some dufous at the tire shop might do.
Factor in current conditions in your hunt location. The drought in the S.W. part of the state really changed the conditions in the 3 spots I had worked elk before.
You can never do to much e-scouting!!!

Dukejb

FNG
I can add one more. Somewhere between loading your truck and kissing your wife goodbye, check the inciweb site to make sure some idiot didn’t spark a wildfire 3 days earlier prompting a closure of the entire area.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Duke, I’m guess you have a region G tag?!?! Heard about the fires, not good. 2 yards ago I was hunting exactly where one of the fires is burning. I guess 2 hunters already died.

And another......don't pack full water bladders deep inside your pack, compress the heck out of it, then toss it in and out of your truck back seat a few times before driving 12hrs to the trailhead. You'll arrive with a soaked bag, all your gear, and back seat with only 3-4 miles straight uphill to get more water.

vanish

WKR
That's a rough one, cfdjay!

I'll admit, I'm out there all the time and the only one I am good at preparing for is using a hide-a-key.

I have carried a spare key in my front pocket for so many years that its habit. Even when I dont need the spare key it is in my front pocket.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Wait... are you saying that a comedy of errors during the course of a hunting trip is abnormal for you? Sounds like one of my average hunts!

I’m only sort of joking, but thanks for sharing your story and glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would be surprised if auto insurance covered any of that except the tow, and that's only IF you have tow insurance. A mechanical breakdown isn't covered at all in my insurance, except for a tow......or up to one hour labor to fix on the spot. But on most of our vehicles I don't even get the tow insurance. I figure after decades of not needing it, I already have the money saved to pay for a tow.

Overall I think you went on a hunting trip. No trip runs flawless and the stuff that goes wrong makes the stories!

Not many trips I have been on when I haven't blown a tire or had to change one or two. If you are going to be on some rough roads you should bring an extra wheel and tire PLUS your spare. Been there done that. I always take a plug kit and compressor/battery charger combo. Works great. Also have a breaker bar in your pickup all the time under the back seat. Spare key thing is just lesson learned and wont happen again.

After contacting my insurance I was told it would take 7-10 days to get an adjuster to where I was. Unacceptable. I don't have that kind of time to sit here in a hotel of which they weren't going to reimburse me for. They would not cover lodging or a rental. So there I sat, 1300 miles from home with very few options. Several thousand dollars later and a uhaul rental, yes a uhaul, I finally made it back.

Auto insurance covers for comprehensive and collision. You had no reason to call your insurance company to file a claim. No insurance company will cover mechanical breakdown on a vehicle. Also no insurance company would pay for lodging even if you smashed an elk or truck. I hope you remained calm and were pleasant with them on the phone as they explained this to you.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Overall I think you went on a hunting trip. No trip runs flawless and the stuff that goes wrong makes the stories!

Not many trips I have been on when I haven't blown a tire or had to change one or two. If you are going to be on some rough roads you should bring an extra wheel and tire PLUS your spare. Been there done that. I always take a plug kit and compressor/battery charger combo. Works great. Also have a breaker bar in your pickup all the time under the back seat. Spare key thing is just lesson learned and wont happen again.

Auto insurance covers for comprehensive and collision. You had no reason to call your insurance company to file a claim. No insurance company will cover mechanical breakdown on a vehicle. Also no insurance company would pay for lodging even if you smashed an elk or truck. I hope you remained calm and were pleasant with them on the phone as they explained this to you.

Actually they are covering it. Fires are covered regardless of origin. And I’ll disagree that a perfectly good vehicle catching fire mid trip is “just another trip”

Last edited:
Actually they are covering it. Fires are covered regardless of origin. And I’ll disagree that a perfectly good vehicle catching fire mid trip is “just another trip”

Just read your post again. First time I read it I thought your engine caused a fire...with how dry it is up there...would have been bad.
I pictured you just wiped out tired...popped up truck hood up and noticed grass on fire and frantically running around putting it out with monster.

Yeah fires in the truck are a covered loss for sure! haha

I guess we will agree to disagree then on it just being a trip.
I’ve had several day waits for mechanics a couple times.
It happens...just use that time to talk to locals and get leads on land or spots.
We found a great spot that way 15yrs ago after my Toyota broke down and they had to order parts.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Just read your post again. First time I read it I thought your engine caused a fire...with how dry it is up there...would have been bad.
I pictured you just wiped out tired...popped up truck hood up and noticed grass on fire and frantically running around putting it out with monster.

Yeah fires in the truck are a covered loss for sure! haha

I guess we will agree to disagree then on it just being a trip.
I’ve had several day waits for mechanics a couple times.
It happens...just use that time to talk to locals and get leads on land or spots.
We found a great spot that way 15yrs ago after my Toyota broke down and they had to order parts.

I’m with you on that one brother. And I did the same with very productive results! It was one big expensive lesson.

bobr1

WKR
+1 on checking the lug nuts on your vehicle. I had recently purchased my vehicle and it was in great shape and well taken care of with new tires. I wanted to check the brake pad wear through the caliper window so I was just going to take the wheel off real quick and check. When I started taking of the lug nuts it snapped 2 of the wheel studs. What was going to be a 15 minute thing turned into several days of ordering parts and trying to replace the wheel studs. It turns out it was a fairly common thing due to tire shops over-torquing and using impact wrenches when putting on the lug nuts. Fortunately, I was at home when it happened but if I was somewhere remote or back country I would of been F'd.

View attachment 79570

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider

That depends on your insurance. I had a truck engine catch fire and got it towed to the neared dealership for repair. When I got back to town, I went to the insurance office to file a claim for the towing. When I mentioned that I had a engine fire, they told me that my insurance covered a good portion of the damage that was fire related. It covered the wiring harness for the fuel injectors and a few other items.

SWOHTR

WKR
My lesson? Don’t try to go hunting in the middle of a cross-country move.