Converting a enclosed vs a travel trailer for hunting camp?

We have done quite a few conversions for customers. Most anything can be done, but popular options are a wet bath with subsequent plumbing, LED lighting with a deep cycle battery system wired from the front, LP system with tanks on the tongue, LP water heater, and furnace. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for the input guys! Not to sure if I’m going to do water in it or not... gets cold here early. What size would every one recommend ? I would think a 16ft would get very tight with 3 guys and all the gear they bring. What’s the best heating source? I would like a wood stove but would be nice to also have a propane heater so you don’t have to add wood a few times a night. Would a buddy heater work? Obviously with ventilation and a co detector. I like the E track idea with the beds. Is there anyway a guy could install it vertical on the wall so you could change the height of the beds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ordered a 6'W x 12'L x 6'6"H CargoMate in 2014. I got it 6" higher for driving the RZR in the rear door as well as the ceiling height when camping. Other options are 1" wall and ceiling insulation covered with plywood and Lauan, a swing up jack versus the screw down version that potentially interferes with the truck tailgate, 2 drop down jacks on the rear for use when the trailer is unhooked...really stabilizes the unit. LED lighting package, inside and out. We got a 36" wide RV door with a screen door, inside lock with window, plus two 30"x30" windows that slide open and are screened. I got the straight Dexter axle that had additional clearance...no charge (the spring hanger brackets are taller) so that it matches the F350 clearance wise. Tie downs on the floor were another good option too.

All in all, it is a nice little RZR or Quad hauler, and makes a nice camp for one (or two in a pinch). I take a cot, a small table, folding chairs, the propane stove, cooler and a small propane heater, although I sleep in a cold trailer only using the heater in when I am up.

A comment on converting....unless you want to go thru the time effort and are good with tools, it wasn't that expensive to order unit with the options....i.e. the insulation was $240. All I've added was 25 large cup hooks and a paper towel rack inside and a front plywood deck to hold the Honda generator for the freezer or 5 gallons of fuel/gas outside.

I hauled a lot of supplies in it when building the house, and moved much of my household goods from CO to BC in the unit (3 trips). It's gone to northern BC a few times and down to AZ a few times as well.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
My preference would be a RV style propane heater, not a fan of the Mr. Buddy heaters. A pellet stove would be second in my book.

That would be the best option. But then you are using batteries and a charging system. And I would constantly worry about the batteries freezing on me.

A charged deep cycle lead acid battery wont freeze till around -80F so you shouldn't have to worry too much...of course a gel is closer to -25F, and if you went with an AGM battery it can withstand freezing...but they are expensive.
That would be the best option. But then you are using batteries and a charging system. And I would constantly worry about the batteries freezing on me.

Esse quam videri

Mine is a CargoMate. It has 16” on center studs and dual axle. Built very well. I would stick to construction grade trailers. This means closer studs in the walls and heavier duty axles. Mine works great and I would definitely buy that brand again.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! My brother and I are starting up the process of getting one of these built up. Going to be simple, but want it durable, with dual axles, good suspension, and decent sized tires. Probably going to do a fold down bunk set up and some shelving for organization of some sort.

Thanks! My brother and I are starting up the process of getting one of these built up. Going to be simple, but want it durable, with dual axles, good suspension, and decent sized tires. Probably going to do a fold down bunk set up and some shelving for organization of some sort.

If you buy a standard trailer with 3500 lb axles and leaf springs, these springs and shackles add about an inch of lift and ride significantly better.

4-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,000-lb Trailer Axles - 26" Long Universal Group Trailer Suspension SP-051275
Shackle Strap - 3-1/2" Long TruRyde Accessories and Parts TRSL350

I also bought the shock kit but haven’t installed the shocks yet. I expect once they are on I’ll be able to pull the trailer as fast as I can drive the truck as long as everything is secured properly.

Lippert Components Bolt-On Shock Kit w/ Heavy Duty Gas Shocks - 3,500-lb (2-3/8") Axle Lippert Components Trailer Suspension LC281255

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you buy a standard trailer with 3500 lb axles and leaf springs, these springs and shackles add about an inch of lift and ride significantly better.

4-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,000-lb Trailer Axles - 26" Long Universal Group Trailer Suspension SP-051275
Shackle Strap - 3-1/2" Long TruRyde Accessories and Parts TRSL350

I also bought the shock kit but haven’t installed the shocks yet. I expect once they are on I’ll be able to pull the trailer as fast as I can drive the truck as long as everything is secured properly.

Lippert Components Bolt-On Shock Kit w/ Heavy Duty Gas Shocks - 3,500-lb (2-3/8") Axle Lippert Components Trailer Suspension LC281255

Good stuff! How hard was the install on the parts you did put on? What size tires are you planning to run?

Good stuff! How hard was the install on the parts you did put on? What size tires are you planning to run?

The springs, shackles, and lower shock mounts just bolt on with basic hand tools, it takes about an hour per side. The upper shock mounts from the kit I bought don’t work with my particular trailer, so I’ll have to buy some others and weld them on.

I’m planning to run the Michelin M8008’s in 225/75R15. They are only about an inch taller than the factory tires but are 10 ply and very good quality. My goal was a 2” lift with more travel and a better ride. If you want 4”+ lift you’ll need to do a spring over conversion instead. I didn’t want the taller center of gravity and I’ll be able to get this trailer in anywhere I want to take it with the extra clearance I have.

Keep in mind even a 6x12 isn’t an ultralight Jeep trailer and getting it into really technical trails could be a bad time. Think about muddy, off camber, downhill 2 tracks with 2000+ lbs pushing or pulling you, and not being able to turn around.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The springs, shackles, and lower shock mounts just bolt on with basic hand tools, it takes about an hour per side. The upper shock mounts from the kit I bought don’t work with my particular trailer, so I’ll have to buy some others and weld them on.

I’m planning to run the Michelin M8008’s in 225/75R15. They are only about an inch taller than the factory tires but are 10 ply and very good quality. My goal was a 2” lift with more travel and a better ride. If you want 4”+ lift you’ll need to do a spring over conversion instead. I didn’t want the taller center of gravity and I’ll be able to get this trailer in anywhere I want to take it with the extra clearance I have.

Keep in mind even a 6x12 isn’t an ultralight Jeep trailer and getting it into really technical trails could be a bad time. Think about muddy, off camber, downhill 2 tracks with 2000+ lbs pushing or pulling you, and not being able to turn around.
99% of off road use is on DNR type roads, its the little climbs to get into some tough spots where we want just a little bit more clearance. I think 2" and tires like you are using would be more than adequate.

Looking for something like this:
6 X 12 Interstate Victory Cargo Trailer Trailer - TrailersPlus Marysville (VIN:4RAVS1224KN106975)
Maybe add a window or vent or something when the order is made.
Would also like an awning of some sort that extends out over the passenger side door as well.
Yakima SlimShady 6.5 Ft Roof Rack Awning - Rack Outfitters
Not sure if the brackets should be factory done or if it is easy to seal up the holes doing a self install. ??

99% of off road use is on DNR type roads, its the little climbs to get into some tough spots where we want just a little bit more clearance. I think 2" and tires like you are using would be more than adequate.

Looking for something like this:
6 X 12 Interstate Victory Cargo Trailer Trailer - TrailersPlus Marysville (VIN:4RAVS1224KN106975)
Maybe add a window or vent or something when the order is made.
Would also like an awning of some sort that extends out over the passenger side door as well.
Yakima SlimShady 6.5 Ft Roof Rack Awning - Rack Outfitters
Not sure if the brackets should be factory done or if it is easy to seal up the holes doing a self install. ??

I agree, for that type of use a couple more inches of clearance in the rear will be fine. The other issue I’ve had is the jack hitting the ground even when fully retracted. I ordered a rack and gear type jack that will go up completely flush with the tongue, but you could use the rotating boat trailer style jacks. I also bought a small sheet of 1/2” UHMW plastic sheet (cutting board material) to make some sliders for the rear corners.

I don’t think I’ll put a window in mine as it’s primary use is for my carpentry business, but I would if it was purely for hunting/camping. I’m working on some screens for the doors as I haven’t seen a good option out there yet. It came with the standard roof vent that I added a Maxxair cover to that prevents rain from coming in when the vent is open, and a 12v fan.

I have the 8’ ARB awning on the passenger side of mine , but I put it just behind the side door as it would hit with the awning sloped down. I also found the 3 sided wall set which they have discontinued. It has been replaced with a fully enclosed room which is nice but o didn’t want a floor under my awning. I just used a little caulk around the mounting holes and haven’t had any problems so far.

That’s a nice looking trailer but the price is steep. I paid $2,150 for my 6x12 single axle with 6” extra height new from a dealer. The finish work on the interior isn’t great but I plan on replacing the wood with nicer stuff anyways after I get my layout dialed in and pull the walls to insulate. For $6k you should be well into custom built to your needs territory.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
We have done quite a few conversions for customers. Most anything can be done, but popular options are a wet bath with subsequent plumbing, LED lighting with a deep cycle battery system wired from the front, LP system with tanks on the tongue, LP water heater, and furnace. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

I'm interested, any pics of your conversions?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, for that type of use a couple more inches of clearance in the rear will be fine. The other issue I’ve had is the jack hitting the ground even when fully retracted. I ordered a rack and gear type jack that will go up completely flush with the tongue, but you could use the rotating boat trailer style jacks. I also bought a small sheet of 1/2” UHMW plastic sheet (cutting board material) to make some sliders for the rear corners.

I don’t think I’ll put a window in mine as it’s primary use is for my carpentry business, but I would if it was purely for hunting/camping. I’m working on some screens for the doors as I haven’t seen a good option out there yet. It came with the standard roof vent that I added a Maxxair cover to that prevents rain from coming in when the vent is open, and a 12v fan.

I have the 8’ ARB awning on the passenger side of mine , but I put it just behind the side door as it would hit with the awning sloped down. I also found the 3 sided wall set which they have discontinued. It has been replaced with a fully enclosed room which is nice but o didn’t want a floor under my awning. I just used a little caulk around the mounting holes and haven’t had any problems so far.

That’s a nice looking trailer but the price is steep. I paid $2,150 for my 6x12 single axle with 6” extra height new from a dealer. The finish work on the interior isn’t great but I plan on replacing the wood with nicer stuff anyways after I get my layout dialed in and pull the walls to insulate. For $6k you should be well into custom built to your needs territory.
I'd be willing to drive for a better deal, just have not seen many in that price range around here...