Converting a enclosed vs a travel trailer for hunting camp?

Elite

WKR
Hello, I am looking for some input or advice and maybe talk me out of spending more money. For the last little bit I have been thinking about buying a used enclosed trailer to use for a hunting trailer. I would also like to be able to use the trailer to haul 3 long track snowmobiles in the winter for Sled trips.i currently own a 32ft travel trailer which is very nice to use if it is not muddy and the access roads are decent. But I can not imagine tracking it through the mud or down in maintained roads... and I usually winterize it at the start of October. I am wondering if any one else uses a enclosed? I have borrowed a friends enclosed last October for a sheep hunt. We stayed in it as a base camp seemed to work well but it was only a 16ft plus the V nose and It got tight with 3 guys and cots in it. And it was un insulated so the condensation was terrible. The one main door actually froze shut on us and we had to use some force to get out in the morning. I’m wondering if insulation would help this? Would also love to have a mini wood stove in it but I think it would heat it up way to much and be up every few hours adding wood? Just looking for some input. Really don’t like using the travel trailer with the guys seems to get muddy and used hard. I also do a lot of solo trips so don’t want a monster trailer... I see a lot of guys use the 7ft wide trailer? I figured a 8.5 wide would be the one to buy then you could fit 2 quads side by side and fit a lot more gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I normally hunt backcountry but this year we did it a little different and had a base camp and only tented in the backcountry for a few nights. We ended up staying at the base camp more than anything. We used an 18’ x 7’ enclosed cargo trailer. It worked awesome for two guys with cots. We had a deep freeze and microwave. Used a ventless propane heater just enough to keep the chill off and help drive off moisture. The factory ventilation isn’t great so we left a door cracked open. This was archery so it wasn’t too cold to begin with. Low 30’s at coldest maybe.

I love roughing it in the backcountry but I’m kind of spoiled by this cargo trailer camping now.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I normally hunt backcountry but this year we did it a little different and had a base camp and only tented in the backcountry for a few nights. We ended up staying at the base camp more than anything. We used an 18’ x 7’ enclosed cargo trailer. It worked awesome for two guys with cots. We had a deep freeze and microwave. Used a ventless propane heater just enough to keep the chill off and help drive off moisture. The factory ventilation isn’t great so we left a door cracked open. This was archery so it wasn’t too cold to begin with. Low 30’s at coldest maybe.

I love roughing it in the backcountry but I’m kind of spoiled by this cargo trailer camping now.

We usually tent in the back country as well! But since we had the trailer for the quads and gear we decided to sleep in it since it was October and was getting down to -10celsuis at night. I had a lot better quality of sleeps and having actual food made us hunt longer and hike harder....

I bought a 6x12 for my carpentry business that I’m setting up as a convertible camper as well. Insulating it with rigid foam panels should solve the condensation problem and help with the cold. A 12v battery system is easy to install and with a roof vent you should be able to run propane for heat. I’d treat it the same way as a tent with a small wood stove, bring a warm enough bag to make it through the night without heat, then run it when you’re making dinner and when you get up in the morning.

I don’t plan to do a full RV style build with cabinets, etc, but keep it simple with coolers, folding tables, water jugs, etc. I added an 8’x8’ ARB awning to the side that you can get a screen room or fully enclosed tent for. That might be the way to go for more than 2 guys and you could run a wood stove in that no problem.

I installed E-track on the walls and am working on building a converttible couch/bunk beds/queen bed, using these mattresses.

Amazon.com: Zinus Gel Memory Foam 3 Inch Tri-Fold Comfort Portable Folding Mattress or Floor Mat, Narrow Twin: Kitchen & Dining

I did this last year. 7x14 tandem axle. Fits three guys no problem. Can still fit my quad in. Insulated and heated.
29f6b1aee95163750b27e0ef7ae35619.jpg
26365ae2c0fd3b1ff38e8bac36b1c4c4.jpg
f7b9be4514225633f098aca4e812aece.jpg
f9dd90823ebe4fb810215d1102dae60f.jpg

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7x14 I use for deer camp as well. I plan to insulate it with the foam panels, and install a quick coupler in the wall to hook the heater up to so the propane stays outside. I can easily fit 2 queen size air matresses in it and still have a little room to spare.

Hey Grizz, you got any pics of this??

I’ll try to get some up, I haven’t started on the beds yet but I had envisioned something similar to what Nrolson posted. Basically a lower folding platform that’s 30” wide and 20” off the trailer floor to serve as the couch seat/lower bunk. An identical upper folding platform would swing down at an angle to serve as the couch back, and swing up to hang flat from cables in E-Track clips as the top bunk. It could also be removed and set next to the other one to form a 60” wide queen bed for trips with the wife.

My 12v system is a 120v plug in the exterior wall that hooks up to a marine battery charger. It unplugs inside the trailer to allow an AC unit or other high draw appliance to run off shore power. I have a pair of 6v golf cart batteries wired up to a marine fuse panel and 600w power inverter with a USB port. So far I only have a pair of LED lights that can be on/off/motion activated. I need to add a roof vent fan and exterior light for using the kitchen under the awning.

10bands

FNG
Watch for a used toy hauler. I almost started a cargo trailer project but never quite found the trailer I wanted without buying new. Either too small too dirty/beat up or had bat wing back doors instead of a fold down ramp. I had even located a wrecked camper that I was going to get the propane stove out of but then I found a 2001 21’ toy hauler all ready to go for less than I could have bought a new cargo trailer of the same size. And for that price I got a toilet, shower, sinks, oven, stove, microwave, closets, cabinets, lighting, heater, AC, stereo, three beds, water and waste tanks and room to haul 2 quads.

Anyway I’m sure you could covert a cargo trailer for a bit less especially if you’re just after a basic hunting trailer/shelter but might get lucky if you watch for a used trailer. Especially in the off season.