How long does it take you to pack up / break camp?

3forks

WKR
How long does it take you guys to pack your bag? How about breaking camp?

I'm not asking about wall tents or campers...

I keep all my gear together and ready to go, but even so, packing seems like it takes longer than it should (maybe it's the same thing with weight - because for as little as I try to pack - it sure adds up in a hurry).

Anyway, what about breaking camp? Takes me about 30 minutes to take down/fold my shelter, deflate my pad, stuff my bag, etc.

A couple of buddies have told me it takes them 10 minutes when we were comparing similar gear lists.

Dumb question I know, but curious how much my obsessive compulsive disorder slows me down.

Fatcamp

WKR
We pack a Kodiak with vestibule and full kitchen in about an hour with two people.

2-person tent and bags maybe 10 minutes with two people.

Usually way longer than it should because I keep looking around asking myself if I really have to leave already. Reality is that If I spread out like I usually do it will take a half hour. It always seems that my gear expands when exposed to the outdoors too, so getting it back into the original containers takes forever.

Am I breaking camp to relocate to another area with more promise?

Or am I heading back to the salt mine for another year or worse?

Wholly different kinds of focus.

it takes me the same amount of time as it takes to drink a tumbler of coffee while I’m packing. When my cup is empty, it’s the last thing going in the pack. I could see packing up in 15-30 minutes as reasonable. It takes a little longer if it’s raining.

fifteen minutes if i’m packing up to leave in the middle of the day. Probably twice that in the dark because i’m triple checking everything and doing walk arounds to make sure I’m not leaving anything behind.
If my gear is soaking wet from the rain packing up takes considerably longer as I Wring out water and sort dry from wet gear.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At a typical morning pace me/partner allot 1hr from the time the alarm goes off till packs are on our back and that for us seems to be just right. Allows time to make some coffee, I have to put in my contacts (which is a PITA in a tent via headlamp), go dig a hole for morning business and then get booted up/packed while finishing off coffee. We could do it faster if we need to but we're getting better about planning for realistic timeframes to get things done when its cold, we're sore/tired, etc.

Last edited:

mvmnts

WKR
I knew I was slow, but I can't help but feel like you guys are underestimating the actual time. In the morning I would say a solid 60 minutes, maybe 45-50min if I'm hustling (and eating bars for breakfast) from alarm going off to packs on and ready to move. That includes breakfast, packing up, and getting cleaned up and dressed.

I usually plan for 45 minutes. If its dark and I'm up early.

If I got up late and its going to be light soon...then 5 min?
Just deflate pad and roll bivy, quilt and pad into one bunch and jam into my pack...put on boots and away I go haha!
Cook breakfast and tea when I am at my morning spot...and reorganize pack dry stuff out etc

I would like to say that I do not do that very often...but sometimes sleep is awesome!

OR Archer

WKR
If just talking about breaking camp and packing I can be done with that in 15 minutes on backpack hunts.

depends if you pack the pad in a bag, the sleeping bag in a bag etc...
When I move I don't compress and neatly pack everything as I do for that first initial hike in. I usually wont use the stuff sacks for things, which speeds me up significantly.
I hunted Idaho this last week and moved camp 3 times.. It took no longer than 30 minutes each time, and I often have stuff spread all over the tipi foot print. haha I am not neat and organized. How ever once I set up my wood stove that alone takes another 10-15 minutes to pack up all on its own

My camp is a redcliffe tipi, 0 degree bag, Exped pad, camp kit bag, food in dry sack, cook stove, pillow, Tyvek ground cloth, LO stove, water bladder for camp, tent light and tent head lamp, and camp shoes.

15-45 minutes depending on what gear I am using. If I am planning on moving camp a bunch it is either my hammock or my MegaTarp, exped pad and my quilt. When it gets colder I add a stove which increases the time by 15 minutes. If I am staying put, I use the Sawtooth and the luxury lite cot and typically have my chair as well. That adds another 15.

As stated above, a quick breakdown is just shoving everything into the pack, not compressing things etc. That can get done when I get home. I pack cook stove up the night before so its ready and use a bar for breakfast so eating can be on the way or as packing.

Korak

FNG
Before I had kids = 30 minutes to an hour. Everything generally pre-prepped and stored.

Now with 2 toddlers = The entire time available. On either side.

Beendare

WKR
Half hour for my tipi setup....and fully 10 minutes of it is getting my pad deflated and rolled up tight enough to get in the stuff sack.

Wall tent setup is about an hour from take down to panniers

JP100

WKR
depends how hard its raining........

When theres a heli hovering waiting for me I can get two tents and 3 guys gear into bags in about 3mins haha.

Normally I like to take my time packing up camp, make sure everything is clean and dry(usually impossible) when packing it up. Maybe an hourish. I dont wear a watch..