Credit Card- leaving Cabelas

No credit card for me for years and I never will have one again, pay cash for everything. But I fully support anyone cutting ties with Cabela’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing something that builds your credit score, gives you money back, offers buyer protection, saves time, allows you to book hotel rooms without paying hundreds of dollars for a security deposit, etc seems like an pretty poor solution.

Logan T

WKR
Has anyone had their card info jacked and had to deal with these other companies with that process? I've had my info stolen 3 times with that Cabelas card, but all 3 times Cabelas called me and had it shut down within hours, sometimes minutes of the illegal usage. I'm not too interested with the points earned from Cabelas, but the fact that they are on top of their card users' safety is very nice to have. Any of these others the same way?

Bulldawg

WKR
Don’t need a credit score, you don’t really get much much money back in the whole scheme of things, how does it save any time?

Here’s my thing, I’m not going to borrow money, if I need to get something I’ll buy it.
But the meaning of my post was to show that I don’t particularly like Cabela’s and people should dump them and their card.

Removing something that builds your credit score, gives you money back, offers buyer protection, saves time, allows you to book hotel rooms without paying hundreds of dollars for a security deposit, etc seems like an pretty poor solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobr1

WKR
Has anyone had their card info jacked and had to deal with these other companies with that process? I've had my info stolen 3 times with that Cabelas card, but all 3 times Cabelas called me and had it shut down within hours, sometimes minutes of the illegal usage. I'm not too interested with the points earned from Cabelas, but the fact that they are on top of their card users' safety is very nice to have. Any of these others the same way?

Yes. I've had multiple unauthorized uses on my chase. I think mainly from the government data breach a few years ago when I was in the military. Anyway, a few months ago they text me that there was an unauthorized user and to call the number. I thought it was a phishing text. So I called the number on my card to see if it was real or not. Turns out it was real and someone about 800 miles away had used it at a gas station around the same time as me that day. So they had actually made a duplicate card...(they are getting really crafty now). But they cleared the charge and next day aired me a new card. Also, their customer service is great and they are based in the US (at least for the sapphire) so you don't have to deal with the out of country customer service experience. There was another incident where they caught a 1 cent charge on my card and froze my account and alerted me. They told me it's common practice that criminals use now to see if your account is being monitored or not. Charge a really small amount out then if nothing happens they charge a huge amount. But again, I'm more biased towards mine and there are other great card companies out there, I just don't have the experience with them other than USAA, which is also great.

handwerk

WKR
I've had my Cabelas card for almost 20 years, been hacked into twice, both times Cabelas caught it and minutes and handled it great. I'll keep my card, but since it was the only one I've had I did get another visa in case things go south during the transition.

I've had it happen 5 times with the Cabelas card. Each time the card was shut down with no notification. So we had to call in and find out why our card was not working. From there we notified them that there were fraudulent charges, they sent us a form to clear the charges, then mailed us a new card. It took about a week to get the new card.
I got tired of having to be the one to find the issue so we switched. So far no hacks, but the new card did not let a transaction go thru because they thought it was fraudulent. They called me, it took a couple of minutes to straighten out, and the purchase went thru. So far I'm happy about switching.

I think I’ve had 4 cabelas cards hacked and it gets locked 4-5 times a year when they think something is suspicious. Never hurt me besides the inconvenience.

Don’t need a credit score, you don’t really get much much money back in the whole scheme of things, how does it save any time?

Here’s my thing, I’m not going to borrow money, if I need to get something I’ll buy it.
But the meaning of my post was to show that I don’t particularly like Cabela’s and people should dump them and their card.

You don’t need a car or a house either but they can come in handy.

I have $1000 binoculars, a $1600 liberty safe, and a $2k rifle that I would not own if I didn’t use credit cards. I would be paying a higher interest rate on my mortgage if I didn’t build my credit with credit cards.

A credit card might not save time over a debit card most of the time if that is what you use but it saves time over frequently visiting a bank or ATM, cashing in change, etc. There are some things that don’t work well with a check card like hotels and rental car companies sometimes won’t accept them. You are at a much smaller risk of losing money if your credit card is compromised compared to a debit card.

If I need something I buy it too. Only I pay 1-5% less money than someone paying cash would.

I’ll concede that credit cards can be trouble for those who can’t control their spending.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Thanks for the useless advice 'bulldawg'...….no need to start an argument over your 'philosophy'. Please open your own post and not derail this one.

Another vote for the Amazon Prime card.. Only problem is like wind gypsy mentioned, I end up buying boring responsible things with the points.. diapers, laundry detergent, etc :(

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cabela's card but rarely use it now except for the occasional big purchase when they send the 10% coupon. If the coupon coincides with a big cashback from Activejunky it can really get the prices down.

Currently with the Citi Double Cash and it adds up quicker than I imagined. I did get a nice Swaro scope and Eurooptic binoculars with the Cabela's points before I swapped.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Here's what I use...

Costco Citi card:
4% on gas
3% restaurants
3% travel

Amex blue cash preferred:
6% on groceries (this adds up FAST)
3% big box stores

Cabela's 1% for everything else. Maybe I need to switch to the double cash card though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We have the cabelas card for Cabelas purchases only. It helps me save 10% on certain purchases. Other than that its Capitol 1 visa.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info on this thread. I didn't realize that Cabela's is switching things up. Also, since going to bass pro, the club offers they send in the mail have all been 'in store only' deals. I don't have a store close enough to me to make it worth the trip. I have a decent amount of points built up, as I run all expenses I can through Cabela's then pay off at the end of each month. I'm going to start looking into the Citi Double Cash Card as it seems to be a pretty good one you guys recommended. Seems that real money, cash, will be more useful than cabelas money.

i really do like the security protocol of the cabelas card, when i take a trip ,they are very thorough with their questions.
i will take a look at the citi card though.
sharing how we get the most bang for our buck ,good thread!