Credit Card- leaving Cabelas

wildcat33

WKR
Cash back is king. 1% back on cabelas purchases, whats the point? So you can spend more money at Cabelas! no thanks.

wyosteve

WKR
Sam's Club card--5% cash back on fuel anywhere, 3% on restaurants, motels and 1% on everything else. They cut you a check for accumulated cash once a year.

KJH

WKR
Has anyone had their card info jacked and had to deal with these other companies with that process? I've had my info stolen 3 times with that Cabelas card, but all 3 times Cabelas called me and had it shut down within hours, sometimes minutes of the illegal usage. I'm not too interested with the points earned from Cabelas, but the fact that they are on top of their card users' safety is very nice to have. Any of these others the same way?

I have had 3 experiences that are the same with a stolen Cabelas card number. One time someone purchased $22,500 in Jewelry in Florida with my stolen number and Cabelas took care of it with no questions asked. I've been happy with that. Cabelas points are not all that valuable to me anymore.

I too am looking for something else, since I rarely ever purchase anything from Cabelas anymore. I never buy from Bass Pro... so some other card is in my future.

Trial153

WKR
We use a combination of Amex and BOA rewards for all expenses, bills and purchases through out the year.
I dumped Cabelas years ago.

AdamW

WKR
Timely. I've got a Cabela's card (never carried a balance, paid every month everyone remain calm) and am looking to switch most likely. Leaning toward the Amazon card since I buy stuff from Amazon almost weekly. But say Amazon goes the way of Cabela's something that is universal "cash" makes sense too. I mainly used my Cabela's points to buy things that weren't really a great deal getting them through Cabela's but it was "free". Often times it was reloading components, this year it was a set of tire chains.

wyosteve

WKR
With the change to Bass Pro/Capital One, I wonder if the very good fraud detection capability will go by the wayside.

With the change to Bass Pro/Capital One, I wonder if the very good fraud detection capability will go by the wayside.

I bank with CapitalOne here in Louisiana, and they seem top notch in the fraud alert dept. I have been with them since 1992 (originally Hibernia Natl Bank). I am going to keep my New Cabelas Visa (Cap One) to see how it works out.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
I used to buy ALOT from Cabelas, like others, have bought less and less as they have offered more 'cabelas' brand stuff and Bass Pro is worse.....we buy ALOT from amazon now, so I applied for that card last night......

tblank

FNG
US Bank Cash + card has 5% cash back for sporting goods stores as a category. Below is a list of popular merchants in this category:

2nd Wind Exercise
Academy Sports + Outdoors®
Backcountry.com
Bass Pro Shops®
Big 5® Sporting Goods
Cabela's®
Christy Sports
Dick's Sporting Goods®
DicksSportingGoods.com®
Dunham's Sports®
Dunn's Sporting Goods
Edwin Watts Golf
Gander Mountain Direct
Gander Mtn.®
Hibbett Sports®
Joe's Sporting Goods
MC Sports®
Midway USA®
MLB.com
NFLshop.com
Nordictrack.com
Orvis®
Packers Pro Shop
Packersproshop.com
Patagonia®
Play It Again Sports®
REI®
Rei.com®
Road Runner Sports®
Scheels®
Sierra Trading Post®
Sport Chalet
Sports Authority®
Sports Basement
Sportsman's Warehouse®
Steep and Cheap®
Tennis Warehouse™
The Golf Warehouse
Theclymb.com®
Total Hockey
TotalHockey.com
Wholesale Sports

Cash Plus | U.S. Bank

Im out. I called Capitol one after the changeover and was assured along my statement ending and starting dates would not change during the changeover. Got my statement confirming that was false. First thing capitol one said to me was a lie.

US Bank Cash + card has 5% cash back for sporting goods stores as a category. Below is a list of popular merchants in this category:

2nd Wind Exercise
Academy Sports + Outdoors®
Backcountry.com
Bass Pro Shops®
Big 5® Sporting Goods
Cabela's®
Christy Sports
Dick's Sporting Goods®
DicksSportingGoods.com®
Dunham's Sports®
Dunn's Sporting Goods
Edwin Watts Golf
Gander Mountain Direct
Gander Mtn.®
Hibbett Sports®
Joe's Sporting Goods
MC Sports®
Midway USA®
MLB.com
NFLshop.com
Nordictrack.com
Orvis®
Packers Pro Shop
Packersproshop.com
Patagonia®
Play It Again Sports®
REI®
Rei.com®
Road Runner Sports®
Scheels®
Sierra Trading Post®
Sport Chalet
Sports Authority®
Sports Basement
Sportsman's Warehouse®
Steep and Cheap®
Tennis Warehouse™
The Golf Warehouse
Theclymb.com®
Total Hockey
TotalHockey.com
Wholesale Sports

Cash Plus | U.S. Bank

Sad that half the list is so critical of hunting and gun rights

Mcseal

FNG
If you travel a lot it's worth looking at the Alaska Air card. Very good perks and they currently have a 30,000 point sign up perk.

muddydogs

WKR
Get away from cards that just give you points or store credits and go with a card that gives you cash. Why be limited to one store when you can have a wad of cash in your pocket once a year that you can spend anywhere you want.

I have the Costco Citi card that I use for everything and get over $500 cash back every year. Of course if you don't keep it paid off and end up paying interest then the cash back is of little value.

SKYNET KC

FNG
Just a FYI on how to really stack the odds for you on the cabelas club card.

1. Acquire Cabelas Club Card.
2. Spend your $20,000 in 1 year to attain a "black" card membership. This is pretty easy to do if you do things like groceries, utilities, gas, etc. This puts you at 5% back in points for all purchases at Cabelas/ Bass Pro.
3. Buy everything you need only on nights where club members get 3x points (I think this is 3-4 times a year). This bumps you to 15% back in points.

If you can do that you can really leverage a lot of points in your favor after a year or so.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I think we should start getting points for Rokslide purchases!

Everytime you buy or sell something in the classifieds, you get 1 point for every $100 transacted. Points expire at the end of the year, so you have to cash them out around the holidays. Points are good for a discount to the Rokslide store only!?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hi2u

FNG
I got into travel hacking about a year ago, which is using credit cards for points...

I know the best card and can send you a link for it.. Just message me.

I can travel to go hunting for free, then stay at a hotel for the first and last night... all free.

The one card I would suggest gets you automatically 20 nights a a Hyatt free after the spend. message me(so I can get referal points :))

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Have been doing this combo for 2 years now:

Chase Sapphire Reserve for Travel/Restaurants
Chase Freedom for everything else.

If you go thru the chase portal it has Bass Pro at 5 pt/dollar and Cabelas as 2/dollar

I travel alot for work so I rack up alot of points for from the CSR that allows you to transfer to travel partners (hotels/airlines) which pays for a good chunk of my personal travel.

thepointsguy.com is a good spot to compare credit cards

7Bartman

WKR
I have been playing the credit card game for the last 5 years. I now have over 20 cards and have NEVER carried a balance on any of them (I set to autopay as soon as I get them). My credit score is over 800 too. I also haven't paid for a flight in the last 5 years. I'm amazed at the amount of people that don't take advantage of this.
As far as credit card recommendations, it all depends on what you're looking for; cash back or travel rewards. For cash back, there are a couple of cards that give you 2% across the board. With my USAA card I can get 2.5% on all categories.
Here is a link to a flowchart that helps you navigate the decision: https://i.imgur.com/JwqwfaC.png
If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I'm also happy to send referrals like others.