Credit Card- leaving Cabelas

bozeman

WKR
OK Rokslide, I have had a Cabela's Visa for over 12 years now. Their recent change to another company has me looking for any other card's out there with a similar rewards system. Any ideas? Hunting, camping, hiking....etc. We also travel ALOT, but not too sure about the whole 'black out period' restrictions...….

Open to suggestions. Thanks,

Gutshotem

WKR
I just got the Citi double cash last month, honestly don't know why I waited so long because the rewards are much better. I'm still going to keep my cabelas card for the perks that go along with making purchases from them but won't use it for anything else now.

I just got the Citi double cash last month, honestly don't know why I waited so long because the rewards are much better. I'm still going to keep my cabelas card for the perks that go along with making purchases from them but won't use it for anything else now.

They either won’t let you purchase a gun with their card or won’t work with the gun stores and manufacture. Possibly both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Pretty much any other rewards card is better than a cabelas, BassPro or Sportsman's warehouse card. Best part is, you can spend your rewards wherever you want to. I use a Bank of America cash rewards card. 3% on fuel, 2% dining and 1% on everything else. You also get an additional 50% reward return based on how much money you keep in your checking/savings account. I understand BofA is a hated institution by sportsman, but I have never had a reason to cancel or get rid of mine.

This Cabela's card switchover does seem like a real PITA. Thinking of spending my points and dumping the new card also.

What is going on with the cabelas card switch over?

I use mine for a lot of business expenses, i realize there are better rewards but I also know I basically have to get something cool with Cabelas rewards. I've bought zeiss binos, a 48 gun safe, and a seekins havak with points. Might buy boring responsible stuff if I had a normal cash back card. :D

So I have two business cards, a Cabelas and a capital one spark small business. I was considering dumping Cabela’s with the change but I love the capital one card so I figured i would see what happens when Cabela’s switches into a capital one platform.

The capital one spark small business builds points fast, they are good as cash anywhere, and they have a cool feature where you can use them to “erase” purchases from your statement when redeeming. Highly recommend.

According to the rep I spoke to, the new Cabelas card coming to members this month is a Capital One Card. I bank at Capital One, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Amazon Prime card! 5% on Amazon purchases, 2% on gas and restaurants, 1% everything else. I buy a lot of stuff at Amazon and pretty much have enough to buy all Christmas stuff.

TheTone

WKR
I'm most likely going to amazon. Going to pay off my cabelas balance, figure out what to do with my points and then cut it up.

bobr1

WKR
If you do travel a lot the chase sapphire reserve is something to look into. It's only 50k miles now but it was 100k when I got it a few years ago. 3x points for travel and restaurants. You do unfortunately have to pay an annual fee $450 but they credit back $300 for travel so if you take an uber or a flight or anything travel related it reimbursed so its really $150 a year. You can also transfer the points to different airlines and they reimburse you for the tsa precheck if you get it. I use mine for pretty much everything and just pay it off every month. Also costumer service in extremely good.

I dumped them about four years ago and picked up a Southwest Airlines card to earn flights. My family flies back to Illinois twice a year. Tickets are pretty much taken care of. I pay it off monthly so don't care what the interest rate is. I should have done this years ago since we have been doing this flight routine for twenty years since I moved west. A lot of good options already mentioned it's what fits you best personally.

Bulldawg

WKR
No credit card for me for years and I never will have one again, pay cash for everything. But I fully support anyone cutting ties with Cabela’s!

I also use mine for business and pay it off every month. Have got a lot of things from the points but I wasn’t happy with the whole bass pro take over and now with this I am canceling and just using my scheels card. Doesn’t seem like they have the deals anymore.

Brendan

WKR
Fidelity Visa. 2% Cash back on everything - deposited as cash into a Fidelity account. No need to deal with miles, points, any of that. Just cash.

dumped my Cabelas and Bass pro cards last month. the cabelas card use to give 10% off but hasnt been that often recently. Capital one has to be the worst ive ever delt with with rates and fees. Chase has always been less of a blood sucker and better in general.