Storms hitting Colorado for 1st season

I’m headed down to 66 for 1st season and have been watching the weather closely. Looks like the first major storm will be hitting the area. Good amount of snow around 10/7-9 with more starting up on opening day of the 13th. I have been scouting between 12-13k. What are your thoughts on a decent amount of snow (somewhere around 14”) hitting that area during 7-9th and then also it snowing pretty good on opening day? Been planning to backpack in to our scouting area about 4 miles back on the 10th. I have been trying to read up online but tons of mixed opinions. I know anything can happen! Any help will be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You can find good elk closer to the road. With snow, they can be anywhere in the unit. Better to hit a few different elevations and find where the elk are hanging out before selling out by going 4 miles in. 4 miles in that country is rough

rayporter

WKR
when the hurricanes start to move inland and they stir up the Jetstream any thing can happen. when the report is 'snow in the high country' don't worry too much. if they say a storm is on the way- get yer snowshoes out if you are over 10,000ft.

OP
C
I know how that goes. Plus Colorado forecasters have to be taken with a grain of salt. Call for an inch and we get a foot, call for foot and we get nothing.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you go backcountry in snow/sub zero a wood stove would be my recommendation, I skipped mine on one hunt last year and will never do that again. Frozen boots in the morning that didn't thaw/warm prior to sitting down to glass left my toes with on/off numbness for months after.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
The weather just changes too much out here to predict long term. Here's an interactive map that goes 72 hours out for snowfall. At 12-13k, there could be 8-12" of snow by sunday night in some areas of Colorado, according to this map from NOAA NOHRSC. It looks like the system is predicted to skirt just above a lot of unit 66, but that track could easily shift.

OP
C
Probably going to get down there on the 10th and camp from the truck for a couple days to see if we can figure things out. Elevation/snow, elk sign, spots to camp closer, etc. thanks for all the input. Appreciated greatly

Poser

WKR
Looking like we’re gonna get it in the SW with snow starting Sat night and expected through Tuesday. It may snow as low as 8,000 feet, but at least as low as 10,000. I’m putting the winter tires on tomorrow. I say bring it on.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I am leaving Kentucky this Saturday for Colorado Springs for a few days, then on to SW Colorado for 1st Rifle. Weather forecast looks like it will be high adventure for us.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
go to Opensnow.com for the best mountain weather forecasting you will ever come across. gives detail snow fall for all the ski resorts so you can find temp. wind. and snow info for all the mountains of Colorado

Poser

WKR
It’s rained a bit here this last week, I’m not sure I’d bet on any snow.

The GFS, the Canadian Model and the European Model are all showing significant snow above 10,000 feet in the SW between Sunday and Tuesday. The NWS is expected to issue a winter storm warning Saturday night.

vanish

WKR
Anything past about 48 hours out is pretty unreliable. Heck, earlier this year we were out hunting and when we left the vehicle, 0% chance of rain for the next 3 days. It poured from 5pm-8pm.

Poser

WKR
This is the 10 day accumulation from the Euro model, The most conservative forecast of the 3. It’s now looking like a new system will potentially develop and drop from the North for more Snow on Wednesday. The tropical storm has really stirred the moisture up. If you’re headed into the mountains this weekend and you are dismissing or underestimating these warnings, you are not being smart. The potential is real. Rarely do all of the models agree.

b2b1f5fcb1534a99f06ff1a8812e68c4.jpg

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I hadn’t looked that far out. Here’s one model for Saturday 10/13 7am snow depth. That salmon color is 4 feet of snow on the ground.
81226ffc1ba816cf49fe4b0fe20d0128.jpg

National Hurricane Center Storm Tracker has Hurricane Sergio, now in the Pacific to make a sharp turn and head into Baja, and then up through Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico bringing tons of rain. It is about 5 days out. Maybe that is related to the previous posted graphs of precip ??

Poser

WKR
We got the smack down at 12,000 feet last night. 50 mph winds all night and snow loaded slopes at hip deep snow.

614b29dc042a77427ea96decd60c2020.jpg

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I drove from Canyon City to FairPlay and then into Denver this afternoon. Weather was good until I got to Bailey. However, deer and elk were moving early afternoon. Saw over 100 head of elk in 3 locations from the highway. I think they’re getting ready for some weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk