More Idaho public land being closed off

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcd22

WKR
Every year these guys seem to make headlines by shutting down more and more land and restricting more and more access. I am all for private property rights...if you own the land then you have every right to do with it as you please (I will point out that I cannot stand people owning massive portions of land just to shut it down but that is their right) but these guys are trying to shut down public roads that run through their property that access public land. My thought is that they do not own the road, therefore they cannot shut it down. It remains to be seen what our state government will do but my guess is that they will get their way and Idaho will slowly start to become private and cater to high dollar hunts or no hunting at all. I hope this doesn’t happen.

Texas billionaire brothers put up gates, no trespassing signs on Forest Service road in Idaho | ktvb.com

jspradley

WKR
If taxpayers are footing the bill for the road then individuals shouldn't be able to block off access to it any more than the government should be able to block access to private property.
If they don't want people on their property then they need to fence it off parallel to the road.

KHNC

WKR
Happens all around Leadore Idaho by a certain outfitter. Irritates me to see "public land" bull killed posted on social media. Knowing damn well the only public access has been blocked by gates and no trespassing signs leading to the public high country.

TheTone

WKR
Don't forget that these are the same people that paid off the politicians to get the new trespass law passed this year. Be sure top remember next month when those politicians want you to vote for them.

HookUp

WKR
Looks like this is getting a lot of attention. Just another case of the rich blocking the public from their own lands. This is a huge blight to the american people who's governments are allowing this to happen.

OP
J

jmcd22

WKR
Don't forget that these are the same people that paid off the politicians to get the new trespass law passed this year. Be sure top remember next month when those politicians want you to vote for them.

Sure but what’s the alternative? People say “don’t vote for them” but the problem is these people will throw money at whoever is in office. The kickbacks at too good to turn down.

I am not familiar with the area so maybe someone local can help out. Did they cut the road through the land and get an easement, or has it been there and the land around it was sold over time? I don't see how someone can block a public road because they own the land on both sides.

CorbLand

WKR
What is insane is that the forest service didn't get easements for their roads when they built them.

I think there is a law that states if the road has been used for XX amount of years, then it automatically becomes an easement. I am not 100% sure on this, I will have to call my brother.

TheTone

WKR
Sure but what’s the alternative? People say “don’t vote for them” but the problem is these people will throw money at whoever is in office. The kickbacks at too good to turn down.

Try voting for a democrat for a change. A bunch of the political issues I see in our state basically coming from one party having all the power and being able to do whatever they want with little to no fear of any repercussions.

wapitibob

WKR
I am not familiar with the area so maybe someone local can help out. Did they cut the road through the land and get an easement, or has it been there and the land around it was sold over time? I don't see how someone can block a public road because they own the land on both sides.

The FS does not have an easement thru the private, per the Boise National Forest.

Trial153

WKR
I don't even have to read the article to guess its the douche bag Wilkes brothers.

wapitibob

WKR
Doesn't matter who it is, most anybody would block it off for at least a minimum period of time to ensure they maintain their rights if it was previously treated as a public road. They could also be neighborly and post a sign allowing access once that's done.
That's what the mill did here locally back in the day; closed a road for one week/year and let everybody know why.

Last edited:
OP
J

jmcd22

WKR
Doesn't matter who it is, anybody with 3 firing brain cells would block it off for at least a minimum period of time to ensure they maintain their rights if it was previously treated as a public road. They could also be neighborly and post a sign allowing access once that's done.
That's what the mill did here locally back in the day; closed a road for one week/year and let everybody know why.

They have proven in other areas where they own land that they are not going to reopen it. Gates have been installed and trenches have been dug to prevent people from going around it. In another area, there were reports of armed guards patrolling the roads and running people away.

SWOHTR

WKR
I’ve never seen so many Cat tractors as I did in Idaho. Fix them up and rip the gates out. Need bulletproof protection? Use the bulldozer blades. Go old-school Seabees running over Japanese emplacements on them. Just make sure they don’t have thermite hand grenades to burn up your engine blocks with.

But seriously? Seems ridiculous. I have to do more research though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jmcd22

WKR
Try voting for a democrat for a change. A bunch of the political issues I see in our state basically coming from one party having all the power and being able to do whatever they want with little to no fear of any repercussions.

Since this is a hunting forum I generally don’t care to get political but I came from one of the most Democratic states in this county and if I’ve learned anything, it’s that they want to put and end to hunting completely. In my opinion, a vote to that side is basically putting the ball in their court and allowing them to continue to chip away at a hobby that we all love and enjoy. To each their own, that’s just my take.

In my book, the way to stop this kind of nonsense is to have the state stop selling land off. What they should have done was leased the land to these timber companies rather than sell it off. The state then turns a profit while keeping land for residents to enjoy. I’m sure there are all kinds of arguments on why that couldn’t work but to my simple mind, that is the solution.

OP
J

jmcd22

WKR
The FS does not have an easement thru the private, per the Boise National Forest.

Well I guess they have the right to block it off then. I haven’t seen anything from the Boise National Forest yet but I will take a look. Definitely unfortunate but if they don’t have an easement then I guess that’s the letter of the law. The state needs to stop selling our land.

Status
Not open for further replies.