Staying warm while glassing ridgelines during Oct-Nov

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Last year during 3rd rifle I was glassing a ridgeline and the temps were around 28 degrees, there was also a strong wind coming over the ridge. It started to do this half rain/ snow that instantly froze on any cold surface it touched such as the glass on your binos.

I was wearing the kuiu bigger down jacket and one of their shells and got extremely, extremely cold. I was lethargic for about 2 days after in a way I hadn't felt before.

So this year I want to remedy this. When I'm moving I usually end up in my base layer but once I sit down to glass and gradually start putting layers back on, the puffy jacket with a shell just isn't cutting it. Its like eastern stand hunting except with ridgeline winds.

What can I bring along to solve this? A few thoughts Ive had:
1. Get a kifaru woobie- I could throw this over me when I sat down to glass, however, I would think that when you brought out your optics it would open it up and you would lose your warmth.
2. Kifaro Lost Park Parka- I actually bought one of these and I could throw it over my puffy but I cant get a shell over it. Its not waterproof so in the instance last year I would have got drenched
3. Get a full on Canada Goose Parka and haul It with me and put it on when I'm glassing

Anyone found a solution for this or tried any of the above?

Last edited:
I would add more base layers rather than going over the top. I wear merino wool, and then up to 3 more base layers. Patagonia nano puff, Sitka zip-t and then a Sitka jacket. I’ve stayed warm down to about 15 degrees here in PA tree stand hunting and in the 20’s in Colorado. Keep your feet warm as well. If it’s bitter cold I’ll pack some foot warmers that stick to your socks. Makes a world of difference sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would add more base layers rather than going over the top. I wear merino wool, and then up to 3 more base layers. Patagonia nano puff, Sitka zip-t and then a Sitka jacket. I’ve stayed warm down to about 15 degrees here in PA tree stand hunting and in the 20’s in Colorado. Keep your feet warm as well. If it’s bitter cold I’ll pack some foot warmers that stick to your socks. Makes a world of difference sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The challenge I face is the amount of effort it takes to get where I am going to be sitting. I'd sweat out hiking up with multiple base layers, so in my experience it has been better to haul additional outer layers in my pack. Hardest part for me is keeping the kiddos warm when sitting in cold windy spots.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What was the rest of your system looking like, not just your torso. Were you sitting on cold ground or a pack/glassing pad? You loose heat through where you contact the ground (ass/feet). Were you layered well on your legs, if not that is also a heat sink. How about your hands in this freezing sleet were they dry or wet? All of these things tend to be what gets me versus torso warmth which is easy to augment, if I need more torso warmth I toss a second puffy in my pack since they're so light for the warmth.

Some of us just get chilled easier than others. This sounds like a case for some specialized outer gear to save core heat. Down overpants are great. A good 850 fp or better down vest or light down jacket under a bigger down jacket with a hood is an effective strategy. Size the layers to prevent compression when worn. Extremely warm headwear, mittens, balaclava, and maybe insulated overboots can make a huge difference in comfort.

Trial153

WKR
Guess I just dont get that cold. I usually just put on a puffy and shell. Maybe this person specific?
Anyway ...what about carting a sleeping bag to use or as an over quilt. At least it serves double duty

bozeman

WKR
I get cold very easy......from AL, so anything less than 30F and I'm freezing. As one mentioned, focus on your hands, feet, head/neck areas.
Hands, over/glassing mittens that are windproof fleece (HUGE diff)
Over Boot fleece wraps
Glassing pad or blanket to NOT sit on ground
Thick fleece toboggan or balaclava

I also use the Kuiu zip up puffy pants....these have helped me once I get to my destination.

These alone should raise your ENTIRE body temp a few degrees. Hope this helps!

mtnkid85

WKR
At some point it becomes almost impossible to stay comfortably warm when your on those wind swept ridges.
Getting into some sort of windbreak will help a lot. Get down off the ridge just a little bit, get in behind a little shrub or tall sage or what ever, get on just the lee side of what ever little swell the ridge line naturally has, ect. Boil some hot water or hot coffee and put it in a inside pocket under as much of your layers as you can.

As far as clothes, I like the idea of a wobbie type of thing. Ive even packed just a plain bivy sack to get into, obviously there isn't a insulation factor to it but it cuts the wind well and does a lot to keep your feet and legs warm.

KHNC

WKR
I just purchased the Kryptek Altitude Jacket and Pants for this exact purpose! I have a MT rifle hunt coming up mid November.

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses, im on at work so excuse the quick reply but the issue i have with the puffy pants etc is that they arent waterproof. So how do I get that insulation without compressing it or getting it wet.

dtrkyman

WKR
Out of the wind and a hot mountain house works for me! Of course glassing in Az. the cold only lasts a few hours in the morning!

netman

WKR
I find what I eat prior to hunting dictates how comfortable I am during cold weather hunting.
I ponied up this year and bought several items of Sitka clothing to layer up as colder windy weather moves in. Yesterday in Wyoming where I hunted it was thirty degrees with wind up around 20-30 mph. I was layered up as I laid in the wind hunting mule deer. I was in the direct wind and was very comfortable.
I am very happy with my new clothing

The Lost Park Parka is pretty doggone warm, pairing that with a Woobie makes it very nice. Assuming the rest of your extremities are covered and warm you should be good to go. I have on more than one occasion used a tarp as an awning to keep the elements off of me.

I started using a whoobie for when I was setting long times in really cold weather due to it's weight and, ability to add heat to areas that need it. Yes, you do lose some heat when you open it up and such but, the heat it provides is unbelievable. It will offset that lose. Last year while whitetail hunting the second and third weeks in November, I wore a merino base layer midweight, A button up wool shirt, and a Browning Tommy boy puffy(This is one lightweight, packable, and WARM little jacket that is cut just right for layering with no extra bulk. I highly recommend it). I also carried my homemade whoobie which weighs 13 ounces. This covered me from the low 40's down to the low teens when I needed to set and watch. I never got cold. I hunted every day. Leaving camp well before daylight to return well after dark. So, it works and works very well. I will never, ever carry a big, bulky jacket again. Try it. Get a costco down blanket for trial. The 5.0 Apex is much warmer but, you'll get the drift of just how much warmth this will add.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for all the responses, im on at work so excuse the quick reply but the issue i have with the puffy pants etc is that they arent waterproof. So how do I get that insulation without compressing it or getting it wet.

For those conditions you need a true cold weather down parka and pants with a waterproof jacket and pants over them.

This is what has proven to work for me and those I work with-

Wicking base layer top
Light to mid weight fleece top with a hood
Some kind of active insulation top (Polartec Alpha) while moving if it’s single digits
Expedition weight down coat with a good and 10 plus ounces of high quality down (or equivalent synthetic)
Rain coat big enough to fit over everything else

Wicking base layer pants
Whatever normal pants you like (Sitka Timberlines)
Medium weight base layer (preferably with zippers or buttons)
Expedition weight down pants with 10 plus ounces of high quality down (or equivalent synthetic)
Rain pants big enough to fit over everything else

Good toboggan or hat
Glove liners or light leather gloves
Mittins with flip off fingers
Extra pair of socks
Hand heaters

Puff jacket and pants in the pack, wear only what is absolutely necessary to avoid sweating. When you get to the glassing spot, immediately put on all of your layers with the rain suit over everything. Do it immediately- do not wait to cool down. You want to trap the heat that your body is producing, and use it to cook your clothes dry of sweat. Change socks to dry ones (place wet socks inside coat). Then pop the Jetboil out, heat water and get something hot to drink- bullion cubes, coffee, tea, whatever. Eat something. In really cold weather we average no more than 30-45 minutes between eating, or drinking something hot.

The above above works for most people until around 0 degrees. After that, eaithwr a true arctic weight down suit or sleeping bag is added.

Some need more, a few will need less.