Another grizzly attack here in Teton County

Interesting discussion. While I think hunting bears would make them more scared of humans maybe that is wrong. What about Mtn lions? States where they are hunted verse state where they are not..like California? Seems like I hear on the news a lot more encounters and people attacked by lions in California than other states that allow hunting.

slick

WKR
It’s because there are higher instances of people within higher density cougar areas. Hunting can potential lower numbers to have an encounter rate that’s so low, that there are never any attacks. It’s not a fear thing.

I also apologize for having such a presence on here lately- I moved states and am not hunting this fall. It’s driving me nuts, and has led to more time spent on Rokslide.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that animal populations/species which are hard-hunted become increasingly averse to human contact. Hunt them hard enough for long enough and the effect is obvious. If not hunted, their behavior toward human contact modifies as long as there is enough of that contact to teach them we are not a threat. I think the real question is whether we should be trying to justify hunting them 1) as a way to 'teach' them to avoid humans, versus 2) to achieve population control and thereby hopefully limit negative encounters. Again...with current politics as they are, I just don't see any degree of hunting (grizzlies) which would condition the overall population to be more human-averse than they naturally are.

For grizzly-loving ARAs, there's no justification in hunting or killing the grizzly. They'd choose life for the bear over life for livestock, pets and those humans unlucky enough to be mauled or killed.

It wasn’t that long ago current politics had the wolf in the same boat. The thing about people is one way or the other, bears will be on the prey end of things. Whether that be by law or by necessity. There isn’t a rural human alive that would set idly by if these things get to be such a huge nuisance or, threat to their way of life.

I’m sure most people fall in the department that they follow the rules. But, I’m sure most people living among the problems politics cause with ESA have been and, will continue to do as needed for their own well being and interests. That and sooner or later, common sense will win out. There will be a grizzly hunt soon. And once removed and the states gain a bit of wiggle room, they will put more pressure on the bears. That’s my guess anyways.