Hunt trades.

I am packing up to go spot moose in BC with a friend I met while working and i thought about how great it was to go stalking with the local guy. Knows all the rules,where to go and how to do it and I thought how great it would be to have him to the beach to hunt the exotic sika deer we love to chase on these wide salt marshes.Been doing it for years and a perfect gift for a new friend.
I read on the this forum how a lot of us struggle to find a new hunting partner if one drops out(i always say it is harder than dating) or how we struggle with figuring regs in different states,the point system , travel plans etc.
I know half the fun is in planning but trading trips with the local guy just seems to be a fine idea especially with the caliber of most of the folks on this forum , I was on a trip in Hungary where hunting truly is a ritual, People I was with wanted me to go on one of these hunts but I just wanted to slip out the back door with the local guy,Nothing like using the walls of n old castle to glass stags from.
I looked for a hunt trade thread but came up short.

We have a bunch of great folk here with a lot of energy and knowledge ,so as a thought, why not have a hunt trade thread so if you need a packer, spotter ,whatever you post it?

I love the thought and know a lot of people who have had lots of success on trades. Had a trade thread up at one time. Still supposed to work one of those out this fall but haven’t landed one yet. I’m all for it. I’ve got a big place in east Tx. We have alligator, pigs and whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
Probably the biggest reason is because it is illegal in a lot of places to trade hunts. Silly laws but it is something to consider, to accept compensation for taking someone hunting on public land especially, you have to be a registered guide with a permit to operate on NF. And accepting a hunt trade is considered compensation.

So take that into consideration when you are looking to trade hunts.

Trouble with internet trades of any sort are the welchers. Give some stranger the client treatment ar your favorite spot and get hung out to dry when its their turn. Or even worse, find their truck at the trailhead next time you go there.
Rather than trading hunts I would rather just meet up with someone new with the intention of making friends. Get to know them on some low investment low impact outdoor situations before inviting them out to secret spot X.
All of my best friends I have met this way. Some of them never contributed a hunt of their own but they are always good for conversation and quick with gas money at the pump if I’m driving us to a spot.
That being said I have met some real hosers.

JP100

WKR
Problem with alot of North America are the non resident laws/regs.
Pretty hard to legally trade alot of stuff unless people are guides.

Ive hunted elk with a good friend in CO and he has hunted here with me on a few species.
It does work out well if you have the right people involved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
Now if someone wants to trade some help on a New Zealand hunt, I am a licensed guide in Colorado and I have been wanting to go to do some hunts over there!

Problem with alot of North America are the non resident laws/regs.
Pretty hard to legally trade alot of stuff unless people are guides.

Ive hunted elk with a good friend in CO and he has hunted here with me on a few species.
It does work out well if you have the right people involved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hunter "A" should invite hunter"B" to home site/Hunter "B" then invites hunter "A" to home site.2 great hunts and no one loses out.Make new friends and hunting buddies.:cool:

KJH

WKR
I know 3 people who have done this, very successfully using a "Trade a hunt" forum section.

One of my annual 10 day hunts is with someone I met through the internet back in 2006. Its one of my most fun hunts of the year, although there isn't anything in trade. I made a great friend and will be for life.

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
I'd definitely give some good intel for good intel, but trading hunts would be hard. Like previously said, what happens when you show up to your trail head and find out your "trading partner" blasted your spot all over the interweb? A lot of times, its hard to trade a hunt for a hunt of equal value. Like me, for example... I feel like I have some good whitetail, turkey, and hog spots...but is that worthy of an elk hunt? Not really.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with swap hunts over 25 years. I've created friends in NM, SD, KS, AZ and Africa. It's a cultural exchange.

You have to have a hunt the other guy wants. I have blacktail on private ground. Lots of guys east of us want to experience another type of deer and deer hunting. I know my property and can save a guy lots of time and effort by prescouting. There's a certain amount of trust required and the two parties need to layout the details and expectations.

I don't think it's wrong to say a friend is visiting and hunting with me. Nobody needs to know there is a swap involved.

Now if someone wants to trade some help on a New Zealand hunt, I am a licensed guide in Colorado and I have been wanting to go to do some hunts over there!

I’m ur huckleberry.

To be fair I don’t want to be guided, but having help hump elk quarters is good idea.. pm me if ur serious.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
One of the main reasons hunt swaps are not that popular is. Most of us don't have that much to offer. Especially guys from the east.

lak2004

WKR
Ive often wondered this also. My family has acreage in the Dakotas and is usually great pheasant and deer hunting, but I mostly hunt here in CO. My dad had a guy out to the property once that we did a fishing trip with in FL. It went smooth, but I don't think the guy was that into pheasant, his kid had a great time though.