Which Tire Chains?

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I need to get some tire chains for my later season hunts in Colorado where moisture can turn the roads to clayish mud or icy snow.

I have a 4x4 F150, whats some good options? I read a lot of reports saying the ones that have a bungee are a pain in the butt and can damage your vehicle.

Titan

WKR
Depending on the year of your F150, the fronts will be extremely tight on the upper a-arm. No way you can run a v-bar up front. Back shouldn't be a problem unless you are running a different offset rim or wide tires.

If you go with real chains, you want bungees for extra snugness. Also get ones with cams to really get those suckers tight.

I get my chains from tirechains.com. Great prices and reasonable shipping.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the year of your F150, the fronts will be extremely tight on the upper a-arm. No way you can run a v-bar up front. Back shouldn't be a problem unless you are running a different offset rim or wide tires.

If you go with real chains, you want bungees for extra snugness. Also get ones with cams to really get those suckers tight.

I get my chains from tirechains.com. Great prices and reasonable shipping.

+1 for cam locks... I wouldn't get chains without them...

I bought chains this year after wishing I had them last year. I bought the Rud Grip 4x4 chains. They seem like they will work good.

wysongdog

WKR
Cam locks are the only way to go. We run them on all our big trucks. Easier to get on in the mud if you screwed up and got stuck before you put them on then tighten them up as you get out and get going.

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I had to google machine half of the terms you guys used. I'm going to call Tirechain.com in the AM and see which ones I should get from them. They seem pretty ligit.

TexasCub

WKR
FWIW Etrailer.com had better prices than tirechain.com, a video on how to install them and free shipping, for the same chains etrailer was quite a bit cheaper. Just go to their website, insert your specific vehicle, tire size and all the chains that fit will come up.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I think one of the best upgrades a 4x4 should get is an Eaton locker for the rear end. It with snow rated tires will help you immensely and everywhere you go, not just snow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Looks like there are good places to buy. Without thread jacking, what attributes (outside of cams) should we be looking for?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
It really depends on your vehicle and the terrain you intend to encounter. You want the toughest chain that you can fit. If you are just looking for ice traction and have very little clearance, maybe cables will work. That won't fly in the mountains through mud, snow, and rocks.

tirechains.com shows the levels of chains on their site. The main thing is that you don't get something like a v-bar and then either hit your front a-arms, fender liners (those will disappear quickly), or any brake lines.

Cam locks tighten the chains. You still want rubber tighteners for any loose sections or the excess at the end. I carry some small pieces of wire to tie the inside extra links. Get those things flapping around and they will destroy everything.

TexasCub

WKR
Do not get over confident with the idea that cams on the sides are more important than true tensioners, cams can and will come loose, make sure you double up the side tensioners using heavy duty rubber bungees with metal hooks. They are cheap and will absolutely do the job. You can buy a 10 pack of heavy duty 10 or 15” bungees (depending on your tire size) for less than $20.

Amen! And don't buy the little stupid blue circular ones designed for tire chains. Get the individual, heavy duty black ones.
Do not get over confident with the idea that cams on the sides are more important than true tensioners, cams can and will come loose, make sure you double up the side tensioners using heavy duty rubber bungees with metal hooks. They are cheap and will absolutely do the job. You can buy a 10 pack of heavy duty 10 or 15” bungees (depending on your tire size) for less than $20.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Amen! And don't buy the little stupid blue circular ones designed for tire chains. Get the individual, heavy duty black ones.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I assume that you're speaking from experience when referencing the blue circular ones, so I'll take your advise and pick some of those up. What length are you running in the black ones, and how many per tire?

I carry some small pieces of wire to tie the inside extra links. Get those things flapping around and they will destroy everything.

If you properly fit your chains, the only extra links are on the outside...... But then pre-fitting chains are above a lot of folk pay grade.