Nightmare trip

IdahoElk

WKR
Snoring, cheating, lying, farting, selfish, lazy, unhealthy, egotistical, unethical, immoral, rude, whiney, angry and smelly guys don't get to hunt with me. If they pass this first round, we'll talk. I generally have to know a guy very well and for several years of hunting before we'll do a trip. I've made exceptions and had great experiences, but if I have even a sniff of bad character I'll ditch the deal somehow.

What if the farting is due to Mountain House meals?

jsb

FNG
In college there were a couple older guys I looked up to as great hunters. First time I went out with them they were both swinging their barrels around my face without even knowing it. I was like wtf, ever heard of gun safety? Never hunted with either again.

Another guy, probably still my best friend, mocked a small doe I shot once, maybe because he didn't shoot anything. Never said yes to hunt with him again. Anybody who disparages an animal that has given its life so my family and I can have meat is not in tune with my feelings about hunting and harvesting animals.

My only partner now stinks. Like a really bad body odor that takes weeks to air out of my car and camper trailer--the elk can probably smell him miles away. Plus he is deaf, or has only about 5% hearing in one ear and none in the other, which makes it very challenging to communicate in the heat of the moment., and that has blown a couple hunts. But I like hunting with him anyway because he is hardcore, very fit, safe, honest and ethical. Plus intelligent and interesting to converse with (when he can hear me lol).

But I hunt alone a lot too. I just have more success that way.

One thing I do is always prepare as if I’m going solo. That means having everything to be 100% self sufficient. That way if someone is a clown or pulls out last second it doesn’t change my plan. I also train with this mental picture as well. And I make sure I tell the guys I hunt with this as well. I feel it keeps everyone in check a bit more than sharing this and that. But yeah that is a nightmare of a trip. Don’t put yourself in that situation again. Maybe take his kid hunting. Be a statement for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
Snoring, cheating, lying, farting, selfish, lazy, unhealthy, egotistical, unethical, immoral, rude, whiney, angry and smelly guys don't get to hunt with me. If they pass this first round, we'll talk. I generally have to know a guy very well and for several years of hunting before we'll do a trip. I've made exceptions and had great experiences, but if I have even a sniff of bad character I'll ditch the deal somehow.

This. It's usually years before I'll hunt with someone. I had a roommate for the last year who insisted we hunt all the time, flatly said no because of some things he had said and done in passing. No regrets.

MattB

WKR
I am just shocked that lying and farting are associated with one another (sniff of bad character), especially when Mountain House is likely involved.

My best hunting partners are the ones I raised. My adult son and daughter. They hunt just like me, have same ethics, know how to work as a team, and we have a great time. Good luck to all. But always be safe!

Brianb3

WKR
Kid you not. Verbatim my experience from last year. Identical. Shady guy doing shady things in a place where he thought he could get away with it.

Sorry man

OP
Gunnersdad49
Kid you not. Verbatim my experience from last year. Identical. Shady guy doing shady things in a place where he thought he could get away with it.

Sorry man

Don't cry for me Argentina, or however that goes. His son shot his first duck this weekend. He texted me. I think the dad being a turd, in front of the kid, may shape the kid for the better.

I remember many years ago when I was flying out of camp and back to town after a 12 day hunt with my very good friend and dependable hunting partner. The pilot asked "Well, are you two still on speaking terms?" He went on to relate how he's seen many a hunt go off the sprocket when 2 guys are forced to spend a couple weeks hunting, camping and generally living together. Think of it like being under a magnifying glass...the littlest things can become major annoyances and lead to grief. Thankfully we had no issues as we always put our relationship first and everything else second.

I'll stand up and testify that I have a very low tolerance for inconsiderate folks...no matter what they're doing. We're all out there for our own reasons, but it doesn't mean selfishness should be overlooked. It takes but a few seconds to think and do the right thing. My admitted low tolerance forces me to be wary of who I might hunt, travel or vacation with. I've generally got a really good feel for a guy's quality of character before I even think about partnering for a trip.

And...After a week of Mountain House if he didn't rip one occasionally I'd probably ask him his secret.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've also had a couple bad experiences. Man, you just live and learn. Most of the bad has been not paying their fair share, bad ethics, and the worst for me.......telling everyone or coming back to a place that was sacred to you.
And that's why I hunt solo or with my brother and another developed friendship.
Now, if snoring and farting was a deal breaker............I'm not sure I'd even hunt solo with me.:rolleyes:

Randy

Finances, or lack thereof, can ruin the planning of a hunt or an actual perceived friendship. I have experienced persons blatantly lie about sending in required deposit money to an outfitter for a hunt ...only to have the outfitter call me later and ask “Where is your buddy’s down payment?”

Even hunting with my best friend since I could have a best friend was hard. We don't have the same philosophy on how to hunt and what things to bring to be prepared. Still my best friend and always will be but this year we're going separate ways from the trail head. Have another friend coming with me that I've known about 15 years but I have my plan and everything I need to be solo just in case. Although he does have all the latest and greatest stuff so camp should be fancy. I'll never go on a back country hunt with anyone else until my kids are old enough to go.

bsnedeker

WKR
The timing on this is funny...since I got back from my hunt last month my best friend has stated, emphatically, that he is going elk hunting with me next year! This is a guy who has never hunted anything in his life and spends most nights at the bar chasing women and generally sleeps until noon.

If I thought for a second he was capable of committing to something like archery elk hunting I'd be really excited to help him and teach him what little I know as an unsuccessful elk hunter. However, I just know he doesn't have it in him to commit to this the way that you need to and I know that if I spent my one week a year hunting elk in the woods with him it would end our friendship!

So far I'm taking the standard Minnesota passive-aggressive route: ignoring his comments and hoping he forgets about it come next year!

gbflyer

WKR
I go for the fellowship with family and a lifelong friend. We’ll have a beer or two some nights then in bed by 9:00. None of us care if we get an animal or not. That’s just a bonus for us. I’ve been with a couple of really serious hunters and have admired their dedication but I’m not one of them. It’s always good to sort that out before you go. Also been with a couple of turds that I spent the time hiding from.

Good grief - I feel for you man, but I also feel for that kid. What a way to grow up. Sounds like he might have some sense of ethics, although I don't know where or how he would have learned them with a father like that. Good on you for showing him right from wrong.

You story is an underscore to why I don't have any hunting partners, and why I've never made it west. I'm resolved to do it alone and with my kids only someday, if I have to. My father is probably one of the strongest people I know in the mountains, but I won't even go with him. Too much father dictating to son for me to allow him to mess up a dream hunt for me (He doesn't hunt) . Gotta love him, but I also don't mind exercising an adult executive decision and no go with him.

boom

WKR
that is a nightmare!! wow.

so how did it end? you tell the kid goodbuy, good luck, flip off dad and hike out?