Nightmare trip

Btaylor

WKR
Gunnersdad, I keep going back to the your comments about paying attention to the warning signs etc. but the Lord puts us where we need to be. If you had not started out on that trip, things may have turned out much worse for that young man.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I think you just wound up in the middle of a hornets nest on this one. Good on you for being there for the son. I've only had to deal with extreme snoring, a guy who I think the world of but will hide in your front pocket if he thinks he can kill a deer where you're hunting, and my best friend in high school who would knock you off the boat if it meant he could put an arrow in a fish before you.

IdahoElk

WKR
So snoring is a deal breaker? One of my hunting buddies snores non stop all night long. I make him bring his own tent but I don’t consider that a deal breaker

Separate tents solves the whole snoring thing real easy,I just blame it on the fact I'm a light sleeper and no feelings are hurt.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Geez. I may have missed it, but how did this guy wind up as a hunting partner?

known him for years. Hunted with him before, but always out of a base camp type situation, and with my own tent. Basically never "partnered" on a hunt before, just camped together and hunted separately. He planned this whole trip, and asked me to join him and his son, so I picked up a List B cow tag, figuring "what harm could it do to hunt a little extra this year?" In hindsight, his son drives a car, I drive a truck, and the trailhead was a few miles in on a rough road. I'm pretty sure my invite from the dad was his way of providing a ride to the son.

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
I have to wonder if there were no other warning signs prior now that you look back you either missed or overlooked?

known him for years. Hunted with him before, but always out of a base camp type situation, and with my own tent. Basically never "partnered" on a hunt before, just camped together and hunted separately. He planned this whole trip, and asked me to join him and his son, so I picked up a List B cow tag, figuring "what harm could it do to hunt a little extra this year?" In hindsight, his son drives a car, I drive a truck, and the trailhead was a few miles in on a rough road. I'm pretty sure my invite from the dad was his way of providing a ride to the son.

Good job, for what it’s worth - You handled yourself well. I feel sorry for the son. Reminds me of the saying,”Don’t expect life to be fair.” Many parents throughout our country are total pieces of crap like this story. Stay friends with the son! He needs responsible males in his life.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Plenty. Like I said, I'm a dummy when it comes to second chances.

My intent with this thread was kind of to gripe, but mainly to try and find some positives and share them. In the end, this ended up like a therapy session for me. You all rock! Thanks for letting me vent.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking someone else intervened and put you there for the son. If he would put his hands on his son in the wilderness when else had he done it ? I am a huge believer that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we never know the true reason.

Rmauch20

WKR
That has to be one of the worst trips of ever heard about. Good job on keeping a cool head.

JWP58

WKR
Now that's an adventure! You should start writing the screenplay, might be some money in it...

rayporter

WKR
if you have a pard worth his salt and he snores-------get yourself some ear plugs!

i have seen some guys that could not handle the wilderness. a couple where guys would not speak to each other after the trip.

what if you were on a river waiting on a plane?

cnelk

WKR
That story is one for the books. Crazy for sure

Everyone has quirks. Be it snoring, GI issues, etc.
And reading some of these posts, its no wonder they prefer to hunt alone. They probably have some dandies! :)

My 'snoring, farting' post was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. :p On the other hand, I've had friends who didn't simply snore...they roared, growled and gurgled most of the night with a volume I could hear from 40 yards away. And as a matter of principle I won't wear earplugs when camped in big bear country. I had 5 grizzlies show up near my camp a few weeks ago and I'd prefer not to be hearing impaired if one decides to pay me a visit on the night shift. :eek:

Separate tents solves the whole snoring thing real easy,I just blame it on the fact I'm a light sleeper and no feelings are hurt.

Well I snore a little too and it’s annoying as heck to me but my buddy has something wrong and has to use one of them breathing machines. I’d hate to think no one would hunt with me though cause snoring, although I understand that my hunting buddies need sleep or it makes for a miserable time lol! Wish the medical world could come up with something to fix it

Vids

WKR
Crazy story! I'm sure that kid has unfortunately seen plenty of this behavior before. If that's how the dad is willing to act in front of someone else I can only imagine what life is like behind closed doors...

Sounds like you handled the situation as best as anyone can. Great job, and I agree that you should keep an eye out for the kid and be a mentor to him if at all possible. Sounds like dad has some mental issues to deal with.

Wow, this story had almost all the crazy talking points imaginable.
Super weird set of events unfolding in this thing.

I love solo hunting even more now.

This story is a GROSS OUT .Its very unfortunate you were exposed to this and had to spend valuable time in the woods with such a disgusting person. Man. Hunting solo never disappoints in my opinion.

I've had 2 terrible hunting partners over the years, one a couple decades ago, and one recently. However, I've had many more that were decent hunting partners, and one fantastic hunting partner. Unfortunately, I can really sympathize with Gunnersdad48, as I've experienced similar first hand.