Nightmare trip

I went on a hunt in 2006 in SD and the one guy smelled worse than anyone I have ever been around. We all were ripe after 6 days in a wall tent but this guy started the trip smelly. He also snored so loud my good friend went out and slept in the truck one night even though it was 15 degrees. But nothing as horrible as the OP's experience. That may be the worst trip I have heard about.

I did stop talking to someone I thought was a good friend back around 2004. He got into archery and I started helping him. He was the most unethical person I have ever been around. Nothing illegal really, but nothing I can justify being around. I never would have guessed he was like that, but once he got a bow in his hands and he started chasing game he changed completely. His actions ended our friendship. I don't have very many people I consider a friend, so that was rough at the time, but looking back I know I did the right thing.

Woah! Makes me really appreciative of my hunting partners!

Sorry you had to endure that. I agree with others, though. I suspect it was a good thing that you were there and that kid may end up being a good partner in the future... if you both can get beyond the reminders of his father's behavior.

And the post about the guy who pushed the poster's twelve year old daughter out of the way to shoot at a deer... Ooooooooooooh. That image stuns me.

Kudos to you guys for handling things well. Better hunts and partners in the future. You deserve it.

Short bloodtrails.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Glad you posted your experience. That would be frustrating and disappointing on many levels.

As little time as I get to hunt and as much as a value my free time, I greatly resent anyone ruining it.

I did do one hunt with a friend a few years ago.....the only friend I had who would actually go beyond talk. He was wanting to save money at every turn, so we went with the cheapest outfitter out there. Then he wanted to drive instead of fly......I was so set on flying because I don't have much time off that I bought his plane ticket. We both killed, but much of the experience was a cluster and a disappointment. My buddy to this day complains about the accommodations, lack of professionalism with the guides, and many other details that didn't meet expectations. Whenever he starts up complaining, I remind him "you got what you paid for".

It is sad, but probably true that the only way to eliminate things like this are to either hunt alone, or by yourself with a reputable outfitter.

spaniel

FNG
Wrote long post which didn't go through. Long story short, been there done that.
- Any red flags at all, any significant back country work involved, bail immediately. In my case only flags were minimal hunting experience, hid things from wife. Claimed significant backpacking experience (haha).
- Once you are in the back country and the partner's façade crumbles, you are screwed and not much you can do
- Going in you agree with partner that they have first shot if elk within their capabilities (never shot beyond 300yds). I shoot elk at 730yds in wind at altitude with a 338 Edge I'd validated through 2000 yards, suddenly I'm the bad guy for stealing his shot. Shot window was perhaps minutes, elk were not immediately spooked but NOT going to stick around for an hour stalk to get within 400 yards.
- Partner refused to carry ANY meat out, but insisted I continue to carry over capacity load which ended up with me injuring my knee because they wanted meat on the back end.
- Partner wanted to leave >$2K of gear in the back country abandoned, and not go back and get it, due to their lack of fitness. Required 2 days of ego massaging to coerce them into retrieving their own gear.
- Ended up not recovering 100% of meat as without support and left on my own, some went bad before I could haul it all out.

I'm now pretty dang picky who I hunt with...

Azone

WKR
Wrote long post which didn't go through. Long story short, been there done that.
- Any red flags at all, any significant back country work involved, bail immediately. In my case only flags were minimal hunting experience, hid things from wife. Claimed significant backpacking experience (haha).
- Once you are in the back country and the partner's façade crumbles, you are screwed and not much you can do
- Going in you agree with partner that they have first shot if elk within their capabilities (never shot beyond 300yds). I shoot elk at 730yds in wind at altitude with a 338 Edge I'd validated through 2000 yards, suddenly I'm the bad guy for stealing his shot. Shot window was perhaps minutes, elk were not immediately spooked but NOT going to stick around for an hour stalk to get within 400 yards.
- Partner refused to carry ANY meat out, but insisted I continue to carry over capacity load which ended up with me injuring my knee because they wanted meat on the back end.
- Partner wanted to leave >$2K of gear in the back country abandoned, and not go back and get it, due to their lack of fitness. Required 2 days of ego massaging to coerce them into retrieving their own gear.
- Ended up not recovering 100% of meat as without support and left on my own, some went bad before I could haul it all out.

I'm now pretty dang picky who I hunt with...

The last guy my hunting partner hunted with must be related to the guy who screwed you over on your bull. Very, very similar stories. Its amazing how fast some guys loose their shit in the mountains. Those are the stunts that send friendships into the toilet real quick.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Spaniel, Sounds like you were carrying that dude, not just the gear.

That .338 Edge sounds pretty cool, short action, heavy, long bullets. High BCs.

spaniel

FNG
Spaniel, Sounds like you were carrying that dude, not just the gear.

That .338 Edge sounds pretty cool, short action, heavy, long bullets. High BCs.

Long action, in fact I had to take a Dremel to a brand new Stiller action to remove 3/8" of metal from the back of the mag opening to allow the nearly 4" shells to feed from a Wyatts extended box, and mod the bolt stop for longer bolt throw to pick them up. Have to say I'm pretty proud when my Remage Dremel build takes third in a 2000yd competition ;)

Yeah, I was carrying the guy. It was an awful experience and the only time I've been in the back country and actually thought I may end up in a situation where my life was in danger. I actually would have left his a$$ at the tent if he had refused to pack out to the truck.

It was a good lesson in the mental side of toughness. As a former semi-elite marathon runner I've been through situations where you've got no blood sugar left, are hypothermic, and pushing 110%. Almost put myself in the hospital a couple times. So I've got some friends who I know are not in the best shape, but they have put themselves in similar situations so I can TRUST that when stuff gets bad they know their limits and will push themselves 110% without complaining. A couple weeks ago I was in WY hunting with such a guy, he was not in my condition but at least I could trust he would tell me when we were getting past his limit, and if he didn't, I could trust he would gut it out no matter what and get it done. No fake manhood BS.

ethan

WKR
Guy sounds like a D-bag! Good on you for stepping up and taking care of the guys son. Also glad the guy didn’t do something stupid, sounds like a horrible experience.

MtnOyster

WKR
big reason why I do my trips solo, theres only a few guys here at home i'd take with me on a long trip. but most of the time they cant go.

Hoot

WKR
I go solo, or with guys that I feel very fortunate if they let me tag along, and I know no matter what I have to suck it up as to stay in their good graces...

What a terrible situation. For the kid's sake, that sounds very, very hard to have such a father.... Breaks my heart. But also for the kid, I am glad he had you to look out after him. Hopefully some day they can rebuild... That man just did some permanent damage to his son, to be left out to dry like that. And that kid will never forget that you were there for him to trust. I think its so important to be good examples to younger folks, in terms of how we act, and value doing the right thing. Good on you!
I packed my stuff into my backpack (Thank God I had a huge Kifaru!) while the dad and kid argued. The dad got aggressive with the kid, shoved him a few times, and I thought he was going to hit him. I pulled out the phone and filmed them, and told him to leave the kid alone. He came over and threatened me, got in my face, spitting and yelling. I was a bouncer for over a decade, so I used my calmest voice to tell him to back off, and asked him what I could do to calm him down. That apparently confused him, because I refused to get into a fist fight in the wilderness. The location made it a day for big boy rules.

I asked the kid if he was ok. He said he didn't feel safe staying. The dad told him that he didn't need him, he had a daughter. The kid asked if the dad was really wanting to burn a bridge with his son over such a stupid disagreement. The dad said F*CK OFF! and stormed into the tent. The kid, with his pack and gear confiscated by his dad, threw his hobo bindle over his shoulder and we started to walk out together.

We got about 150 yards from the tent, and heard a single pistol shot from within the tent. I told the kid to stay put, and went back, expecting to see his head splattered on the wall of the tent. The kid, in a strange, calm voice of acceptance said, "if he did it, hit the SOS on your inReach." I walked to within about 50 yards and was able to see the dad sitting up on his cot, apparently uninjured. He shouted "I thought you guys didn't care!" at me. I didn't say a word, just walked quickly to the kid, and we started down the trail.

I used my inReach to contact the dad's girlfriend (commonlaw wife) and let her know he had lost his marbles. The kid pulled me out of the meadow and behind a boulder while I was sending the message. He said "Dad still has that 7mag in camp. I feel like we have a big target on our backs". He was genuinely afraid his own father was going to shoot him or me with a rifle.

We hiked out together, sometimes in silence, sometimes sorting through our confusion, and sometimes griping that my pack was heavy and that a hobo bindle isn't the ideal way to carry two pairs of cowboy boots. I drove us home to my place, and we talked through what the kid was feeling, and his next steps. It was late when we got to town, so the kid crashed in my guest room. The next morning, we had breakfast, I told him that if he needs anything he can call me any time.

I have checked on him about once a week, just to make sure he is coping ok. The dad has unfriended/blocked both the kid and I on all forms of comms, and hasn't said a word to either of us since the trip. I'm ok with that.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

OP
Gunnersdad49
What a terrible situation. For the kid's sake, that sounds very, very hard to have such a father.... Breaks my heart. But also for the kid, I am glad he had you to look out after him. Hopefully some day they can rebuild... That man just did some permanent damage to his son, to be left out to dry like that. And that kid will never forget that you were there for him to trust. I think its so important to be good examples to younger folks, in terms of how we act, and value doing the right thing. Good on you!

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

We talked a lot on the hike out and the drive home. The kid was adamant that he "no longer had a dad". I went through a few years of not talking to my father when I was in my early 20s, but found a way to reconcile and my Dad became one of my best friends before he died. I shared that story, with him. I don't know if they will mend fences or not, but, even as angry as I was, I tried to convince the kid to keep an open mind.

As an update, I talked with the son yesterday, and he is continuing to make some positive changes in his life. He is in good spirits, and we are going bird hunting next month.

If your elk hunting partner that you haven't seen in two years shows up 75 pounds overweight with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other a day before your trip.

Dont take him.

Or you'll be running him to the hospital in steamboat.

Thats the short story. lol

As far as the guy freaking out....

I dont know how many people on this site have personally witnessed someone being punched square in the nose, but I promise you there isn't much fight left in a man who gets punched in the nose. I've seen it.

I would have punched him in the nose. Then sprayed him with bear spray.

He has probably been a bully his entire life and never been in a fight lol

OP
Gunnersdad49
I worked security in bars and nightclubs for about 15 years, so I'm familiar with the concept of a quick jab to the schnoz. This instance, and this guy, and this behavior led me to believe that unless it was a one-hit knockout, it would have ended with knives or guns being involved.

Did he deserve a busted nose? Yes
Was it worth the risk of injury with a long haul to get out to the truck? Not to me.

TRD1911

WKR
This was an unbelievable story that just got worse and worse with every addition. To be honest, it's made me rethink a questionable hunting partner for next year. It's not his lack of experience that makes me uncomfortable but he made a comment one time about going bear hunting together; "I dont give a damn about the meat, I just want the skull". Didn't sit right with me at the time and goes against everything I prioritize about hunting. Hope this story ends better than it started. Crazy

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with your post but would have done it differently but then you had me with the bear spray!

The vision of a blood splattered face mixed with pepper spray made me chuckle! lol

As far as the guy freaking out....

I dont know how many people on this site have personally witnessed someone being punched square in the nose, but I promise you there isn't much fight left in a man who gets punched in the nose. I've seen it.

I would have punched him in the nose. Then sprayed him with bear spray.

He has probably been a bully his entire life and never been in a fight lol