Cutting Firewood While Hunting in Natl Forest

TexasCub

WKR
Cutting Camp Firewood While Hunting in Natl Forest

Will be hunting in the coming weeks in the Routt Nat Forest, is a permit or anything required to cut up deadfall for firewood in camp?

Last edited:
OP
T

TexasCub

WKR
So to cut up deadfall near where your camping to burn in camp it cost $4? I’m not hauling any wood out of the forest.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn’t cost anything to cut and use dead fall trees on national forest property so long as it is for your campsite (on national forest property) while camping.

OP
T

TexasCub

WKR
Cool, that’s what made most sense to me but didn’t want to get a suprise ticket for something that seemed like common sense. Thanks

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just burn the evidence and no one will ever know you cut a tree down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
I believe you are supposed to have a permit to cut standing dead, no permit for gathering. In any case we cut widowmakers around camp and have never had any FS folks check on us, Wyoming may be a little different though.
And have done just what is suggested above. Just fall to block the trails, don't drag them, the bigger the better.

I believe you are supposed to have a permit to cut standing dead, no permit for gathering. In any case we cut widowmakers around camp and have never had any FS folks check on us, Wyoming may be a little different though.
And have done just what is suggested above. Just fall to block the trails, don't drag them, the bigger the better.

Yep, you aren't supposed to cut anything standing without a permit. Cutting dead down wood for personal use on the forest is fine, but anything else requires a permit. If in doubt call the closest forest service ranger station - they answer those questions all the time and can tell you for sure.