Cold weather camp techniques

JWP58

WKR
So Sunday is going to be bitter cold, lows around 0. I'm trying to brainstorm on how to keep my Jerry cans/water containers liquid. I'm taking an extra sleeping bag to wrap them in, and I'll keep them inside the truck. Hoping that keeps them from freezing solid. My smaller nalgenes I'll just keep in my sleeping bag at night, and wrapped in a puffy vest during the day.

Any tips or tricks? Should be warming up later in the week so only a day or two will be an issue. Usually dont see these type of temps very often this early.

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
It sounds like you have a good plan. Don't fill the containers completely full and you might consider a handwarmer under the container in the sleeping bag over night (I haven't tried this, but my son has with small containers with some success I think).

If they don't leak at all, you can turn them upside down, so ice forms up on the container's bottom away from the container opening.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm going out this weekend also, bring a bunch of hand warmers.cheap heat for 6-7hrs,very light weight,works great.I even toss a few in the bottom of my sleeping bag,toes are toasty warm all night.

4ester

WKR
I considered doing this, along with a nalgene with hot water before I turn in for the night.

This. More uses for coolers then just hot weather. Keeps our WY Beer from freezing when it turns cold. Insulation works both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbacks

WKR
When winter camping in AK I always heat water to fill my nalgenes before bed and then throw them in my fart sack. Great way to warm up the sleeping bag before crawling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I was on a very late season cow moose hunt a few years ago
and after riding snowmobiles in 30 miles, we set our tent and stove.

After readying camp for the night, we thought we'd have a drink
but found the Crown Royal wouldn't pour......

You're only worried about water....WTH?

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sleeping bag around them. Blue tarp over a blanket or sleeping bag helps too. Works good when keeping coolers from getting hot.

Consider using hot rocks. A couple cantelope sized rocks heated from the fire pit help keep stuff warm. If its getting down to single digits sometimes i heat a few rocks, use a shovel to put them under my cot, a blanket draped over the sides. It makes a difference.

rodney482

WKR
Heat up water, put in hydration bag, place hydro in a waterproof sack (insurance) .. throw in sleeping bag with you.

A cooler will keep them from freezing for a night or so. But, if it does that every night, you;d better get something going or you aren't going to have liquid water long.

I kept my water cans in the cooler. Water bladder went in the cooler at night too. At meals, I boiled extra water and poured it back into the cans. The cooler with the water cans was close enough to the fire to get warm, but not melt.