Food weights 7day backpack

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s very good for seven days. I am usually 1 ¼ to 1 ½ pounds per day. Late season usually the 1 ½ range.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
1.5lbs -1.75lbs a day for 2800-3200 Calories daily, then later in the hunt add more calories as I become more depleted. Usually doing 7-10 day hunts. My last 10 days was around the 16lb mark

OP
bowieknife50
That's 7 dehydrated dinners, 6 dehydrated breakfast, 6 babybel cheese, 7 protein bars, 6 Snickers bars, and a jar of peanut butter. Last time out I couldn't force myself to eat half of that so if I come out with food I'll be doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds pretty light to me as well and I'm not a very big eater while on BP hunts. I usually bring one MH breakfast and dinner/day and misc. lunch snacks like beef jerky, hunter sticks, trail mix, and cheese. I also bring drink powders like Gatoraid and usually bring a fifth of good bourbon (in a Platypus bag), for evening cocktails. So my total food wt. is somewhere in the 11 lb. range, give or take, for a week long BP hunt.

bsnedeker

WKR
I carry 2 pounds per day, around 4000 calories. I have trouble eating it all the first couple days, and find myself hungry the rest of the trip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I run 1.75 or so per day. Some days are a bit more. Some days less. Depending on how much jerky is in a days meal plan. It don't make you tougher to be hungry. Rehydrating meals twice a day sucks too. Especially when water is nearly non existent. Lots of protein bars, dehydrated mango's and bananas, trail mixes with nuts and M&M's and jerky for breakfast, snacks, and lunch. It adds a bit more weight but, is a much higher quality feed.

Last edited:
OP
bowieknife50
Ya I'm not trying to be hardcore about it I just have trouble eating when I'm up there. Last trip could barely do 1 Mt house a day and half a cliff bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 mountain house and half a cliff bar a day is going to ensure you lose 10+ pounds on the hunt. I couldn't survive on that much and still enjoy myself. I am usually around the 2 lb. mark a day as well. I took in 12 MH meals, 4 tuna fish and cracker packs, 1 lb of beef Jerky, 6 pop tarts, 5 butthole andwhiches, 7 packs of fruit snacks, 2 packs of ramen, 1 pack of precooked bacon, (great in MH meals), 7 nature valley bars 14 pieces of salt water taffy and 1 bag sour punch kids. I guess I am a fat ass, but I really hate feeling hungry because I was too big a puss to carry an extra 5 pounds or so..

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
That's another part is what you weigh and physical fitness level. Some guys move 3miles a day and some go 10miles. A 150 LB guy needs way less food then I who at 230lbs seem to wither away after only 2800 cals/day lol. I move a pile, gain/drop a lot of elevation and go hard, so later in the hunt I need way more food, still lose about 10-12 LBS. IF 6.5lbs works for you then go with it and HUNT HARD

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Its a personal thing. If you know you don't have a big appetite while BP hunting then don't pack a bunch of extra just because other guys say they eat a lot. Im a big eater at home and rarely skip making a hot breakfast in the mornings, but when Im on my elk hunt I cut way back. This year I never ate breakfast and skipped coffee, a couple small snacks or a meat/cheese/tortilla wrap for lunch and then mtn house for supper. Im not trying to skimp on weight, I have mules and a horse to pack in with so I can bring whatever I feel like eating. I just seem to lose my appetite when I go hunting, especially the first 2-3 days I eat about half ration. As time goes on I start eating more each day and when I get home it seems like Im a pig for a few days. So, every year I find myself taking less and less food but still pack out plenty of extra.

Food is dependent on the person. Larger people need more calories. Also conditions will change food needs. Cold weather will require more calories. Terrain will dictate how many calories you burn.

I am like you, I can barely get myself to eat while hunting. I can fit my days food in a 1qt Ziploc. I have never weighed it because it doesn't matter much. I need it so I take what I think I need. I only take prepackaged high calorie stuff. I can get the calories of a Mt House in less than half the space with a good meal bar. I do throw in a few other things though like a big bag of granola and a big bag of peanut M&Ms or some jerky. That puts me at about 2000cal/day. I rarely eat it all. Food to me is just there to keep me going. I don't care much if it tastes good.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm 5'11" & 185-195lbs. 7-12 mile days . I have to force myself to eat enough at altitude, so I know the Ziploc needs to be empty (or very close to it) or I am going to bonk out from not enough calories.

About 1.25#/day for 2800-3000 calories and drink mixes. Cold breakfasts, snacks all day, hot rehydrated dinner and cold rehydrated dessert.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

BCSteel

FNG
I would be around 12 lbs for 7 days of food for myself. The first couple days I have fresh fruit/vegetables/meat so I drop a little more pack weight early. That's at almost 3000 cals/day and I'm still losing weight. Part of my prep is to gain an extra 10 lbs because I know I'll be losing weight the whole time.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
i'm at 11.7oz/day including minimum packaging.

the last tahr trip we did myself and buddy had 8.8lb each for 12 days.

Wowza! That's insanely light. You guys must not be at much more than 1500 calories per day. Last hunt I packed just shy of 21 oz per day, average 131 cal/oz for 2750 cal/day. I'll likely be trimming this back as I rarely eat all my portioned food for any given day.

ozyclint

WKR
Wowza! That's insanely light. You guys must not be at much more than 1500 calories per day. Last hunt I packed just shy of 21 oz per day, average 131 cal/oz for 2750 cal/day. I'll likely be trimming this back as I rarely eat all my portioned food for any given day.

we have never felt hungry. we usually come out with food. i no idea of the calorie count, we just buy enough food then go hunting.