Right or Wrong? Idaho Game Commissioner hunts Africa

The only problems I see with it is the hunters that are being critical of his judgement. We will fall piece by piece because appeasement to the anti's demands has become the standard among some of us. I hear all the complaints about his judgement. But, I have the same complaint about fellow hunters judgement that sell out another hunter for legal actions. This isn't a panda bear sow with cub. This is a Varmint that was dealt with in the same way Americans deal with rats. Instead of lynching him from within, we should support him openly and advise him privately. There are no middle of the road voters that would condemn his actions after 3 minutes of explaining the situation in which these baboons affect the natives of Africa.

rodney482

WKR
When will hunters realize this is all about public perception... exactly why BC banned grizzly hunting.

Kill all the monkeys you like... just dont plaster pictures anywhere.

jetsled

FNG
Blake was a solid dude, in my opinion Idaho just lots it's most passionate, down to earth, next generation commissioner. He was pushed out, forced to resign... guaranteed! Typical spineless politicians.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Progressives use talking points to destroy people that are effective at resisting their plans - I suspect that this guy targeted because he was effective at promoting Fish and Game policies that were unpopular with some progressive organization.

I don't care what he did. Not a smart move to send it out to 100 people via email.

Momentary lack of good judgement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
What an idiotic picture. What we put out to the public as hunters is important. Some pictures are best left for private viewing. Most of the public does not want to see it and it leaves a sour taste in their mouths about hunters. Why would we promote a negative image of ourselves?

There are many people on the fence about hunting and we do not need to push them away. Public pictures should be tasteful. Also, our pictures should show more than just the kill.

Just an all-around bad judgment call.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today’s world have to be aware of what you post and how things can be perceived for right or wrong

Shrek

WKR
The only problems I see with it is the hunters that are being critical of his judgement. We will fall piece by piece because appeasement to the anti's demands has become the standard among some of us. I hear all the complaints about his judgement. But, I have the same complaint about fellow hunters judgement that sell out another hunter for legal actions. This isn't a panda bear sow with cub. This is a Varmint that was dealt with in the same way Americans deal with rats. Instead of lynching him from within, we should support him openly and advise him privately. There are no middle of the road voters that would condemn his actions after 3 minutes of explaining the situation in which these baboons affect the natives of Africa.

This ^^^

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We are losing our country, all while not trying to offend those that are responsible for ruining it. If anything we need to fight back with a vengeance. America was founded different. America has always been different. And that's why millions around the globe want to move here......because we are (were) different. We're Americans. There is absolutely no reason at all for these people to be taking over our country and changing it into what every other country in the world is. That makes absolutely no sense at all, kind of like how all the liberals have moved away from their liberal state to Colorado and now ruined what used to be a fine state. I don't care if they outnumber us 1000 to 1, we need to fight back.....period.

I haven't yet seen any evidence of hunters reacting negatively to the principle act of hunting/killing baboons. I really think most hunters (who may have an opinion on this) wouldn't object to the legal hunting and killing of baboons. The objections seem centered around the glorification by pictures of wiping out an entire 'family' of them...the image showing at least one young baboon which was clearly gut-shot. By the way, is 'family' even a correct term, or are we inadvertently humanizing baboons with it?

My sensibilities tell me the shorter route to making any species off-limits to hunting is to portray ourselves as bloodthirsty indiscriminate killers whether inadvertent or not. The photo tells a different story to different viewers of it. Blake (who I count as a friend) will become a pariah and his photo will be used endlessly to advance the cause of ARAs and anti-hunters. He would prefer exactly the opposite (trust me on that) but perception is instant reality in today's social media world. I 100% support legal hunting and I support the right...within basic limits...to depict it as you choose. But choose wisely or you'll lose, and perhaps future hunters will lose opportunities. We've already seen it happen.

KJH

WKR
I don't break the laws or ever send or post pictures of hunts... This is just another good reason why.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I haven't yet seen any evidence of hunters reacting negatively to the principle act of hunting/killing baboons. I really think most hunters (who may have an opinion on this) wouldn't object to the legal hunting and killing of baboons. The objections seem centered around the glorification by pictures of wiping out an entire 'family' of them...the image showing at least one young baboon which was clearly gut-shot. By the way, is 'family' even a correct term, or are we inadvertently humanizing baboons with it?

My sensibilities tell me the shorter route to making any species off-limits to hunting is to portray ourselves as bloodthirsty indiscriminate killers whether inadvertent or not. The photo tells a different story to different viewers of it. Blake (who I count as a friend) will become a pariah and his photo will be used endlessly to advance the cause of ARAs and anti-hunters. He would prefer exactly the opposite (trust me on that) but perception is instant reality in today's social media world. I 100% support legal hunting and I support the right...within basic limits...to depict it as you choose. But choose wisely or you'll lose, and perhaps future hunters will lose opportunities. We've already seen it happen.

I believe the proper term is “troop” and it is fitting. They are fierce evil omnivores and do plenty of destruction. BUT...especially when you are in a public position, you have to err on the side of responsibility of how you are representing the rest of us. It’s a shame, Blake IS a good guy.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
One thing you have to remember. The general public gets its perception of wild life from Bambi style programs.

You should see the horror on some peoples faces when I describe to them how elephants kill people. Or that crocs eat an average of one person a day in Africa.

The antis are well aware of this and will use it to turn the general (ignorant on the subject) public against us.

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
This shouldn't be an issue. I've been told for a few years now that I have to push the tongue back in to that the picture is 'presentable' to non-hunters. The tongues are all in. Non-hunters shouldn't have an issue. (sarcasm)

I've been saying for years to not share hunting pictures with non-hunters unless that person grew up around hunting and is versed in it. I do know people that are pro-hunting and just happen to not hunt.
Showing a picture of a dead animal (no matter how 'cleaned up and presentable') to anyone that is not used to being around the culture is a no win situation for us. It's a tough explanation of how we can have such respect for an animal, and yet want to shoot it. My own wife doesn't understand it, but tolerates it because it's a part of me.
I wish he wouldn't have resigned though (if he did, I'm going by one post in this thread). He did nothing wrong. I don't think he should have shared those photos, but that isn't 'wrong' per say.

vanish

WKR
The only problems I see with it is the hunters that are being critical of his judgement. ... There are no middle of the road voters that would condemn his actions after 3 minutes of explaining the situation in which these baboons affect the natives of Africa.

This isn't about hunting baboons. It doesn't matter what species he's got there. You could stack a buck, doe and a couple of fawns like that, comment about killing the whole family and you'd still look like a whack job.

No one was concerned with the other pictures he took, it was the "family" picture of baboons that was extremely tasteless. He posed them like they were taking a family portrait. It all comes back to having respect for the animal's life you just took and he showed a complete lack of it.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Something to keep in mind that many anti-hunters or general public have the lingering perceptions:
A) Evil hunters killed Bambi's mother
B) Hunters are blood thirsty savages, killing for trophies

Unfortunately, these photos reinforce those misconceptions, and there was little to no thought put into those photos and the consequences. Does this guy live in a cave? Considering his job, he should be much more aware of the optics on hunting in today's climate.

Who cares about what the public thinks? As a hunter you should because they hold your social licence to participate. It's not about who's morally right or wrong, doesn't matter, it's all politics and opinions.

Take BC as an example, in one day, one vote, the general, non-hunting public took away griz hunting. No science, no stats, just pure emotion from the uninformed voter. What's to say some wingnuts couldn't do that with hunting altogether? What would the politicians be afraid of, pissing off 2-3% of the voting population in BC? Big deal, they piss off more with less.

I have nothing against grip and grins, but how it's done and the details make a difference.