Which States Sell Points or Lifetime Licenses for Youth?

JDZ

WKR
I have a new nephew. I'd like to get him annual gifts of preference or bonus points. I'd also consider buying him a lifetime hunting license. Can anybody help me with which states to look at?

jmez

WKR
Ks and NE both sell lifetime licenses but you have to be a resident to buy one.

Most states won't allow you to buy points until you are a certain age, around 12, when you have passed a hunter safety course.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
jmez has it right. He'll have to be a resident to get a lifetime license, some states require a certain amount of time as resident before you can get the lifetime.
Get the Texas one for sure, I messed up before I moved and didn't get one.
Many states have youth licenses that are cheaper and easier to draw , helps before they get some PP built up.

jmez

WKR
States are different as to how the licenses work as well. I have a lifetime in NE. All it allows me to do is hunt small game and birds. For big game I still have to apply as a non resident and pay non resident fees.

If you have a KS lifetime you can get resident big game tags/fees. I should have bought one of those when I was in college there.

Ohio just started offering lifetime licenses, not sure if they are available for Non-residents or not. KY has some great youth license prices (free? iirc) including elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Idaho offers one to residents. My son and I are proud owners.

Single handedly the dumbest mistake I ever made was not buying one before I moved away from Idaho.

SWOHTR

WKR
Single handedly the dumbest mistake I ever made was not buying one before I moved away from Idaho.

We just left this year and those licenses were on my short list to buy. I got my son his when he was 6 months old (a Christmas gift).

I did not buy the fishing licenses, as I could buy a lot of 1-3 day license for $800.

CorbLand

WKR
We just left this year and those licenses were on my short list to buy. I got my son his when he was 6 months old (a Christmas gift).

I did not buy the fishing licenses, as I could buy a lot of 1-3 day license for $800.

I keep telling my brother to go buy them for his 2 daughters and his son. He keeps telling me that he doesnt want to waste the money on them in case they dont hunt in the future. I would say its worth the risk for how cheap they are.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll comment from someone that didn't buy a lifetime license when Utah offered them. I really regret it because those lifetime guys get a deer license every year and everyone else has to wait and maybe draw one every couple years. Get locked in now or get screwed later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tennessee does. Not sure about the residency requirement but if they are under 2 I think the lifetime license is under $200

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk