Any concerns using a Mr. Buddy heater in a homebuilt trailer before going to sleep? (

nrh6.7

WKR
Just read the build thread; you guys did a great job! What cold cut saw were you using for the metal tubing? How does it do on the angled cuts?

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Just read the build thread; you guys did a great job! What cold cut saw were you using for the metal tubing? How does it do on the angled cuts?

On our first trailer we bought a Harbor Freight 14” metal saw with abrasive blades. Absolutely horrible. I ended up making most of my cuts with my Dewalt wood chop saw. Haha. The abrasive blades took forever to cut the metal and the cuts were never straight.

After that build I started searching craigslist for a used Metal saw because I was cheap and didn’t want to spend $500 for a metal saw that we wouldn’t use much. Found a welding shop selling a Northern Tool Saw with a new diamond blade and bought it for $175. That saw cuts like magic and butter all rolled up into one. Couldn’t be happier. I’m sure there are much better saws out there but for what we build it cuts easy and straight. Angles are a breeze also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome build thread! What was the source for the windows and doors? I'd love to do something like this. I'm not much of a welder, so I'd have to have someone fab the frame, but the rest would be pretty easy. Any idea what it weighs?

NDGuy

WKR
Well you all scared the sh$% out of me concerning Buddy Heaters, I have never had an issue with one but I am really considering not using it to heat my shelters while out camping anymore.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome build thread! What was the source for the windows and doors? I'd love to do something like this. I'm not much of a welder, so I'd have to have someone fab the frame, but the rest would be pretty easy. Any idea what it weighs?

Windows are from Stardeck industries in Corona, Ca. That place is a used RV Parts goldmine.
Door is from Amazon
I’ve seen people buy a trailer from Lowe’s or somewhere else and build off of that. If you have a desire you can do it no problem. I was hoping to be at or under 1k lbs. we weighed it the other day at 1300lbs. Still about 700lbs lighter than my last one so I’m happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Liquid propane puts moisture in the air, and if the area you are heating is tight you could have a carbon dioxide problem, get a detector and leave a window open and you will be fine. Here in Minnesota people die every winter in fish houses because they are too tight and they die of carbon dioxide poisoning.

Shraggs

WKR
A couple of other options.

Coleman makes a “flame less” propane canister heater. Screws onto top of a 2 lb unit and has a plastic base. Much smaller, no fan and I think maybe 4000 btus... it would be perfect in that size. I have a mini toy hauler that I heat with an electric, but when I first get in it I augment with the Coleman in the front. I can have the trailer warm in an hour. Would take 3 with the Coleman. I think it’s called the super cat.

Another option is a small lantern to hang from your ceiling or on your shelf. There was a 4 oz model I think by primos, but can’t recall that screws onto a standard iso butane canister. Also I have a tiny lanter made of metal and glass from ll bean for hikers, too heavy for backpack hunting for me but for base camp/trailer throws good light. Despite the flame from a small candle and wick it’s safe should it tip over. Both of these put out heat noticbly in small spaces.

I know your a fireman, if I’m in any enclosure with any heat, candle, wood, propane or electric I have three safety devices. Smoke detector, nighthawk co2 detector and propane detector. If I didn’t I could never really fall asleep!

John

We use one in our Kodak Canvas tent but never leave it running while we are sleeping. A detector would be a must for me in a trailer.

another thing to consider is the indoor safe one doesn't work above 7k feet. nearly froze to death on a late hunt in Dillon montana. hard lesson learned on that one.

mtnkid85

WKR
I know you have already been running the Mr. Buddy heater, but Ill echo the recommendation for the Camco catalytic heaters. We run the 6000btu unit in a full-size trailer and if you have room to hard mount it they are money!