Camouflage is a ridiculous fad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed how many people are wearing mountain type camo all over different forums, hunting websites, and social media simply because its stylish right now. Kuiu, Sitka, Skre patterns ect are worn even when they dont blend in to the surroundings AT ALL. No doubt they have great products and Im not going to rant about this but it kinda defeats the whole purpose of camo.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
sorry man, I respectfully disagree and I like camo.

You won't hear me tout one pattern over another too much, but I do feel it helps in the woods. I've been very close to some bucks that I at least felt the camo was helping.

I wore jeans, t-shirts and all that stuff for years and won't go back.

Plus, I think it's good that hunters have a common "identity" and camo does that. While I'm not the guy to wear mine out to dinner in town, I want it on when I'm in the woods.

Just my opinion and I respect yours too.

OP
lyle_destroys
Camo defineitely helps, thats not what Im saying. I wear camo hunting 100% of the time. But I wear something that fits the area. Something that hides me. Thats not what I have been seeing lately. Kuiu Vias in a green Missouri river bottom for example.
sorry man, I respectfully disagree and I like camo.

You won't hear me tout one pattern over another too much, but I do feel it helps in the woods. I've been very close to some bucks that I at least felt the camo was helping.

I wore jeans, t-shirts and all that stuff for years and won't go back.

Plus, I think it's good that hunters have a common "identity" and camo does that. While I'm not the guy to wear mine out to dinner in town, I want it on when I'm in the woods.

Just my opinion and I respect yours too.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Camo defineitely helps, thats not what Im saying. I wear camo hunting 100% of the time. But I wear something that fits the area. Something that hides me. Thats not what I have been seeing lately. Kuiu Vias in a green Missouri river bottom for example.

Hey, I wouldn't argue against that at all. Last week I had First Lite on in Dry Earth pattern. It was great when I got there, but 8" of snow later and I'm sure I looked like a beacon. I see what you mean about matching to terrain, sorry I didn't say that. I guess I was responding to the title of the thread.

camo color doesn't matter as much as people want it to. you just need to break up your outline. i've killed deer wearing "mountain camo" sitting in a treestand in october. they don't know the difference.

Not everyone is willing to invest all the big dollars in Sitka for mountains and Sitka for whitetail. I use my Sitka Open Country for Whitetail in Michigan and it works just fine. I guess you would need to explain to everyone where it is ok to use "mountain camo". Not many mountains in Michigan and it works just fine. Im sorry if my choice of camo offends you.

Backyard

WKR
camo color doesn't matter as much as people want it to. you just need to break up your outline. i've killed deer wearing "mountain camo" sitting in a treestand in october. they don't know the difference.

And I don't think the last turkey I whacked minded that I had Mossy Oak jeans, Mothwing Mountain Mimicry shirt and and an Open country mask and hat on either. Of course he never saw me either...

I personally spend as little as possible on clothing in general, and for a while only had one set of camo clothing and no high performance outdoor clothing of any other sort. I bought Kuiu Verde back then because I was living in Colorado and it worked for most of my elk hunting needs, and Kuiu had some great sales back then that allowed me to get their gear for a good price. Then I moved to Scottsdale for work and started hunting the desert. The weather was cold and windy in January and I didn't have any better clothing to wear while out hunting, so I wore Verde while desert muley and coues hunting. I'm sure Vias would have worked better but I didn't want to spend the money on it and the Verde clothes I had were at least made for those weather conditions and kept me comfy. Just trying to live within my means, man.

The mountain camo that your referring to isn't made to blend into the surroundings. It's all about breaking up the outline. I've had deer walk right past me on my way in to the treestand wearing Kuiu Vias. This is in the river bottoms of ND, far from any mountains.

CorbLand

WKR
I have a dream that one day nobody will give a shit what others choose to spend their money on.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you can find commercial camo that fits your terrain perfectly but I can't for mine. The reality is that most camo clothing would need to be modified to fit your immediate needs in most situations if you wanted to blend in perfectly. But as others have said, you don't need to be perfectly matched, you just need to break up your outline. I'm not rich and I can't afford to buy multiple sets of camo to fit my hunt areas, my clothing purchases are prioritized on functionality first, then I worry about camo pattern - if I even pay any attention to it. Besides, I'd need at least 2 patterns for at least two seasons (no snow and snow) - who's got the cash to buy 4 sets of camo.

I like camo. I absolutely don’t ever wear it for daily life or out in public. But I do wear it for hunting. I think it works (depending on the pattern) and doesn’t hurt

CorbLand

WKR
I have a dream that one day nobody will give a shit what others choose to spend their money on.

A lot of guys pay for the name, pay because its cool, Period.

Ok looks like you guys got me. If you dont look good doing what youre doing, you arent doing it right. Lol
I still think its crazy to spend hundreds on a pattern that isnt even close to your terrain.

I dont give a shit what brand of camo you wear. I know guys that can out hunt people in Vietnam surplus BDUs. What I refuse to do is waste time and energy on what others choose to spend their money on. Mostly because, what does it matter?

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
I believe more in the comfort of clothing than the camo pattern. Sitka and kuiu are made with the hunter in mind. A lot of the "Midwest" camo is basically printed on a pair of pants or a jacket and sold because it's camo. I was just in this predicament a couple months ago. My wife is a teacher here in the Midwest so I decided to take advantage of the Sitka discount and order a set. I was debating over the sub alpine or the EV II. I chose to go with subalpine because I'm out west hunting about every year and hunting back home I spend most my time in a heater body suit anyways. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you but sure made sense to me and since I'm paying for it..........well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Murdy

WKR
I buy whatever is on sale. I've killed turkeys wearing Sitka OC and whitetails wearing a waterfowl pattern top (they're on some comfortable pieces). 3/4 of what most of us hunt is colorblind. Camo is useful to the extent it breaks up your outline, but beyond that (with the possible exception of birds), it doesn't really matter, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.