help stomach issues dehydrated meals like mountain house, backpackers pantry, other

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
i was 51 and my daughter was 14 a couple years ago on an archery hunt. so brought mostly the above mentioned foods. we tried a bunch of different ones over the days we were hunting, like chili mac, beef stroganoff, breakfast skillet, fried rice,,,i can't remember them all, we were joking about the huge amount of gas that we had. since, i have tried some more expensive, fancy, custom dehydrated foods from smaller companies and same thing.

does this happen to anyone else? i made sure to cook it extra long (let the hot water sit in bag longer than normal i mean)

is there a secret trick to not letting this stuff turn me into a methane monster?

and please, if you make any fart jokes, could you include some helpful info as well?

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I suffer from a similar peculiar condition. It got hard on my knees having to carry an entire shelter by myself because nobody wanted to bunk with me.

Nowadays I just dehydrate my own meals. I can dehydrate a lot things I would normally eat at home anyways, like beef brisket breakfast hash or spaghetti with meat sauce. It helps to eat stuff you're already used to eating.

Dehydrating your own stuff is also a lot cheaper than buying mountain house meals once you get the hang of it. Because it's cheaper and more available, you can easily and afforably test how your diy dehydrated meals taste and affect you before you end up in the confined space of a tent.

I really can’t guide you to any brand of freeze dried meals that are better. I haven’t noticed the same about gas in my case but the salt to me is brutal especially since we don’t use it except as part of a rub or on the occasional French fry. The issue I have with the Mountain house stuff is it tastes fine other than too salty and then suddenly I feel nauseous. It passes after about 15-20 minutes after drinking water. I suspect it’s all the sodium but don’t know for sure. I agree about dehydrating your own stuff. We got a dehydrator this summer and so far I’ve made meals for backpacking of chili and also pasta with meat sauce. They have come out very good. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dehydrate your own meals. Its stupid easy and easier on the digestive system. It only takes a little more thought in the field than a mountain house, but its worth it.

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Taking a probiotic and digestive enzymes certainly help. I would test the supplements prior to using them in the woods, might cause some mud butt.

If you figure out the secret you'll be a rich man.
The thing I've noticed is my body does get used to them over time. The second week is never as bad as the first week.

zacattack

WKR
Are you eating the same kinds of meals/foods you would normally eat? The bacteria in your intestines will be adapted to your normal diet. Especially your protein and carb sources. A change in these could lead to exces gas being produced.

Maybe limit yourself to 1 freeze dried meal (mountain house, etc.) per day. Bring a high fiber/low sugar oatmeal packet or similar for breakfast. Bring a couple small pieces of fruit and veggies (for example apples, carrots) to snack on. Eat a Fiber One brownie every day. Bring whole foods like whole wheat rolls/pita bread, meats, and cheeses for lunches. I eat pretty well when I'm backpacking.

Backyard

WKR
Maybe limit yourself to 1 freeze dried meal (mountain house, etc.) per day. Bring a high fiber/low sugar oatmeal packet or similar for breakfast. Bring a couple small pieces of fruit and veggies (for example apples, carrots) to snack on. Eat a Fiber One brownie every day. Bring whole foods like whole wheat rolls/pita bread, meats, and cheeses for lunches. I eat pretty well when I'm backpacking.

All this^^ except I would cut out the freeze dried crap all together. There is so much "just add boiling water" type of everyday foods on the grocery store shelves nowadays that have about the same weight and cook time that taste so much better, I eat like a king and never have the OP's mentioned problems.

All this^^ except I would cut out the freeze dried crap all together. There is so much "just add boiling water" type of everyday foods on the grocery store shelves nowadays that have about the same weight and cook time that taste so much better, I eat like a king and never have the OP's mentioned problems.

I agree some foods on the grocery shelves are good substitutes for freeze dried.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
i was 51 and my daughter was 14 a couple years ago on an archery hunt. so brought mostly the above mentioned foods. we tried a bunch of different ones over the days we were hunting, like chili mac, beef stroganoff, breakfast skillet, fried rice,,,i can't remember them all, we were joking about the huge amount of gas that we had. since, i have tried some more expensive, fancy, custom dehydrated foods from smaller companies and same thing.

does this happen to anyone else? i made sure to cook it extra long (let the hot water sit in bag longer than normal i mean)

is there a secret trick to not letting this stuff turn me into a methane monster?

and please, if you make any fart jokes, could you include some helpful info as well?

I am in the same boat as you. I used to eat like a landfill but cleaned my diet up substantially a number of months ago. Now when I go back to eating the less healthy foods I bloat up like a hot air balloon, its uncomfortable hiking / hunting when your ripping farts and burps all the time.

Ive noticed some of the above mentioned foods don't have these effects. I really like the "green" / vegetable version of Kraft Dinner, its made out of dried cauliflower instead of the regular wheat noodles. Add some oil and the dried cheese packet and your GTG. Now that I think of it though im not sure if Kraft Dinner is a Canadian thing or not. GL man.

I am in the same boat as you. I used to eat like a landfill but cleaned my diet up substantially a number of months ago. Now when I go back to eating the less healthy foods I bloat up like a hot air balloon, its uncomfortable hiking / hunting when your ripping farts and burps all the time.

Ive noticed some of the above mentioned foods don't have these effects. I really like the "green" / vegetable version of Kraft Dinner, its made out of dried cauliflower instead of the regular wheat noodles. Add some oil and the dried cheese packet and your GTG. Now that I think of it though im not sure if Kraft Dinner is a Canadian thing or not. GL man.

I'll have to look for that, thanks micus
dehydrating your own is what i do also

…….. try it before you go.

Exactly. Don't rely on something as your basic nutrition if you haven't tried it at home first. You might have some allergic reaction to an ingredient you overlooked. Gas is bad enough, but a serious allergic reaction could prove more serious in the wild.