Sitka Blacktail vs African Plains Game

bozeman

WKR
Never been to Alaska and never been to Africa.......if both are options and can only choose one, which and why? I'm kinda torn here....thanks!

WRO

WKR
Never been to Alaska and never been to Africa.......if both are options and can only choose one, which and why? I'm kinda torn here....thanks!
How old are you?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only fished Alaska so I can’t comment on the hunting, but hunting African plains game on foot is a fantastic experience. The people, landscape, animals etc combined make for an incredible experience. I’d get to Africa sooner than later primarily because of the issues there with political stability, population, conservation etc. Walk the SCI or DSC show if you can. Great fun and a good way to learn about hunting Africa. Still saving for an Alaskan hunt, but not worried about political instability upsetting my plans for sheep and caribou.

Im currently on kodiak now and start hunting on the 25th! I have been looking forward to this for quite a while. With that said i am also going to africa with my wife next may for our first plains game hunt...just do both haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
If you can only do one, go to Africa. But in reality, you’re comparing apples to oranges. With a bit of planning you could go to Alaska and do a Sitka blacktail hunt over a long weekend. Hunting Africa is a whole nother beast.

Btaylor

WKR
I would choose Alaska primarily because I hunt primarily to utilize the animal I take. As I understand it you are not allowed to bring meat home from Africa. And while the donation of the meat is a very good thing, that leaves me feeling like I would only be going to kill something for the experience and it just doesnt seem like an experience that would be as fulfilling as it could be. Then there is the scenery and Alaska appeals to me much more than Africa in that regard.

I agree with the post above though, if both interest you, plan for and do both.

jeffpg

WKR
These are certainly 2 totally different experiences... but both can be great in their own way. I haven't done the Alaska thing yet, but I have researched it quite a bit over the years, and it does appeal to me.

My Africa experience is a whole different story... having taken over 100 animals on multiple safaris in 3 different countries in Africa, I can personally testify that there may not be a more fulfilling experience in the hunting world than the African safari. Although you can have whatever game you wish prepared for you in camp, it's definitely not about the meat.... it is way much more!

I spent a few years working in Africa and I took advantage of the free travel and bounced around quite a lot there on my time off. I have some good connections with a couple of great PH's in SA and can help you put a nice trip together based on your interests if you decide to go across the pond.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Africa no doubt!!!

Go in July or august. Cool mornings, warm afternoons and no rain.

A word of advise. You need to decide what you definition of an African safari is. My idea of Africa was based of off the storys in books and mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom. My experience was not complete with no dangerous game on the hunting area. So as I taxied down the runway leaving I was already planning my return. For "me" I will not go to an area that dosent have Lions and Elephants even if I'm not hunting them.

Scoot

WKR
WRO asked ther most relevant question IMO. Go to Africa when you are old. Do Alaska while you can. If you're wealthy, do both.

I definantly dont think you need to be wealthy to do both...my wife and i both work blue collar jobs, however she knows hunting means the world to me so we make that and traveling every where we can a priority in our lives...some people make having the best truck or motorcycle or boat or cabin or land a priority. To us it is experiences and seeing all we can...dont need wealth...just a priority

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You have a LONG time to do both. The better question is which to do first. I’ve hunted Africa once. I’ve hunted Alaska 10 times for 6 species. I am NOT wealthy and both can be done affordably. They are literally and figuratively a world apart and I think everyone should see each of them...sorry no help as you need to see them both it’s too hard to choose one. I’m drawn to the mountains and self reliance I experience in Alaska; Africa you are typically just a shooter, Alaska you can do it that way but I find things go better when I am my own guide.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Steve O- you touch on something my friend and I both enjoy, the self guided nature of hunting, which can be done for Sitka black tail......thanks for the feedback fellas. Yes, if the Good Lord allows health and life, I have time for both, but want to begin planning a trip, hence the question. Much appreciated to all.
Bozeman

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And black bear. And moose. And caribou. And Musk Ox. And while I’ve not done it, Bison.

I’ve hunted a lot of stuff in a lot of places and if I were forced to only be able to do one hunt for the rest of my days it would be Sitka Blacktails on Kodiak...

Felix40

WKR
Never done Africa but I assume its very different from Alaska. My trip to Ak did not involve any lodges or guides or people skinning animals for me. Once that float plane took off we were on our own 100%. Theres no hiking out because you forgot a lighter or all your clothes are soaked or you dont have enough food. I dont know if there is anything more rewarding that being dropped off on an island youve never been to and killing a deer and living in a tent for 8 days.

I do still want to do Africa but when Im older. I know there are parts of Africa where you can actually experience the country instead of being a tourist/shooter so thats what I would want.