Ear Protection while Rifle Hunting

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I went on an elk hunt with my only braked rifle (338 Edge). I got a shot opportunity, it all happened very fast, I either had to take a shot without hearing protection or pass on it. And it was around my neck. I took the shot, got the elk, but I paid for it.

Even without a brake, high powered rifles are just too much without hearing protection. I grew up hunting with slug guns and muzzleloaders, it was not nearly as bad.

You should look into SoundGear. After that elk hunt I asked my wife to get a pair for me for Christmas. It makes a world of difference. YOuc an wear them all day, and unlike electronic muffs they don't mess up the sound and you barely realize you have them in. Yet when you take the shot they are quite effective. One pair of batteries will last days if you take them out when not in use (only way to turn them off). I went on a week long hunt this year, and didn't wear out a set of batteries. I now have zero excuse not to have hearing protection for every shot.

The ONLY negative I can share is that I don't consider them sufficient for crowded range use. I tried them during an F-class competition and with all the rifle reports, especially if I was setting up my rifle and someone was shooting next to me and I was somewhat even to their muzzle, it was too load and I wanted my foamies back.

Thanks, What version are you referring to?

davsco

WKR
It's been said multiple times. Take that Brake off. Why does a 6.5 Creedmore even have one that's not being used for competition shooting?

he said he is doing PRS with the same rifle.

i think the bottom line is that high powered rifles are pretty loud with or without a brake. i've always hunted without hearing protection but started using it this year and will do so going forward.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I go to an ENT for inner ear issues. The audiologist provided these, including custom molding.

Westone DefendEar - DefendEar Hunter Passive

They fit well and I don't notice them walking around all day. They are passive, so no over amplification and no batteries to worry about. They work well with single shots like when hunting. At the range I use them under my muffs for double protection.

It does reduce what I can hear of the surrounding environment, but my hearing isn't super sharp to begin with. I want to save what I have left. They insert and remove easily, so I often stop and pull one out to listen. The more I hunt with them, the better I get at working around the limitations.

bbell

WKR
After reading some posts on Rokslide. I have been wearing some ear pro around my neck when hunting this year. Really hoping I remember to put them in when the time comes.

JPD350

WKR
I am not a role model for wearing ear pro when hunting but I generally keep a set of these around my neck. They stay there all day and in the event that you have time they are easy to pop into your ears.

One of the main reasons I dont have a muzzlebrake on my Creedmoor is for this exact reason.

Howard Leight Quiet Band NRR 25 Ear Plugs | Sportsman's Warehouse

I've been using these ^^^^ for a long time on construction sites, they are always around your neck and it takes just a couple seconds to put them in.

Unfortunately I forgot them in my truck two years ago on a barbary sheep hunt and I took a shot with a 300 win mag with a break, the blast bounced off a rock and slammed my right ear, yea I got the sheep but I couldn't hear for 2 or 3 hours after. That evening I noticed a little dried blood in my ear, now two years later my ear has constantly been ringing 24/7, the ringing is so loud that it is just shy of maddening. For anyone reading this, an animal is not worth your hearing loss! if you forget your hearing protection hike back to the truck, if you think you don't have the 2 seconds to put them in your ear before taking a quick shot then don't take the shot! I would trade the biggest trophy to hear silence again........ it really isn't worth it.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot over state how important it is to never ever shoot a rifle without ear protection.

When an elk bugles or a turkey gobbles and you cant tell which direction it came from you regret it. Or when a babbling brook drowns out every other sound. Or in a noisy restaurant you wont be able to hear your wife sitting right in front of you.

Just Saturday morning. I was bow hunting in a pine stand. The wind was blowing thru the tops of the trees. I was sure I could hear a deer walking in front of me. I looked and looked. After I decided I was hearing things I turned to look behind me. 3 does were less than 10 yards from me. I blew them out.

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
I keep plugs in bino harness. Always use the style that isn't foam sondoesnt require rolling. Ive never had a situation where i didn't have time to insert. My braked 7 mag will make ears bleed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
Myself and wife ran the cheap foamies this year on our deer hunt. You have to talk louder than normal but it wasn't bad at all. If I had $1000 to burn I would get custom electronics.

I picked up the Walker Razor X on camofire.com last year. I wear them on my neck and don't notice they are there most of the time. If I get into animals, or am approaching an area I think likely to hold animals, I'll put them in and turn it on. The sound quality is OK, not great. They have a little bit of white noise, but they were reduced price refurbs.

I would like to upgrade to a suppressor. It doesn't look like the Hearing Protection Act is going to happen any time soon. If I start the tax stamp process soon, I might be able to hunt suppressed next year.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
I learned my lesson on this a long time ago. I will not hunt near a braked riffle anymore. Hunting partner wants to bring one he can find someone else to blow eardrums out of. My old short barreled 300WM with a brake was a miserable beast that damaged everyone's ears that ever got near it. Never again. Longer barrels, reasonable mid weight depending on cartridge, and I am enjoying an easy shooter. Light weight guns are a lot harder to aim steady with anyway.

As noted by others, your options are to either wear hearing protection or remove the brake. Is there a particular reason you want a brake while hunting with a 6.5cm? I assume it's not ONLY for recoil reduction with a round that light. If it's for convenience (not having to re-tune your gun), I think you'd be better off spending a little time at the range re-zeroing your rifle with the brake off and a thread protector installed. Installing a thread protector may affect you point of impact but it will likely not affect your gun's accuracy at all.

I’m sitting here reading this as my ears ring- the left one especially. They have been ringing since I went on a hunt and shot a muley and an elk within a few hours of each other 4 years ago.

Both with my .300 Win Mag and no hearing protection. I shot maybe 6 times (2 at the buck and 4 at the bull- yes, I have practiced my shooting since then). I didn’t take the time to put in my ear plugs. As others have said, a mistake I’ll deal with for the rest of my life.

I bought some Soundgear amplified ear plugs. They haven’t been as effective as I had hoped, I think mainly because although my ears ring all the time, any extra noise makes the ringing even louder.

Mine are the industrial version, so not as amplified as the hunting version.

I’ve tried walking around with them all day while hunting, but having the plugs in and turned on. It’s annoying walking with them, as every footstep I hear a pounding in my head.

I keep thinking I need to go to an audiologist for a professional evaluation and long term solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimagold

FNG
There's no going back for me after hunting with a suppressor for a few years now. I run a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 titanium suppressor that weighs 9.7 ounces.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
My brothers got a muzzle brake on his 308 that makes it miserable to be next too. Can’t imagine hunting with one. Maybe you’ll just have to buy another rifle for hunting without a brake...
For suppressors I’ve heard that unless your round is subsonic they don’t make much of a difference?

bbell

WKR
I got to put the plugs into action yesterday! Was hunting with my best friend and his nephew. I put my plugs in and was able to keep the binos on the deer to watch the shot while my buddy helped his nephew. New youth hunter so he needed the help. Glad I had them

JPD350

WKR
I’m sitting here reading this as my ears ring- the left one especially. They have been ringing since I went on a hunt and shot a muley and an elk within a few hours of each other 4 years ago.

I keep thinking I need to go to an audiologist for a professional evaluation and long term solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently went to an audiologist and according to them there are no solutions for the ringing.

Tryin

FNG
(snip)
For suppressors I’ve heard that unless your round is subsonic they don’t make much of a difference?

The sonic crack is still loud, but a good suppressor will bring the overall noise level down to hearing safe.(-ish, if cranking off magnums)

Subsonic rounds through a quality suppressor will make you giggle, supersonic will keep your ears intact.