Ear Protection while Rifle Hunting

Suppressed for me for center fire rifle.

I carry a pair of foam plugs n case someone in our group is not suppressed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should be around 6 155mm howitzers if you think that one shot from that 6.5 made your ears hurt. I'll never know what silence is from the constant ringing, but I'm still alive and that counts for something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is my first post here on Rokslide! Loving all the information here. I'm a cochlear implant / adult diagnostic audiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I've also been a hunter my whole life, so I have some perspective from both sides.

I've seen it mentioned here before, but the SoundGear active hearing protection devices have worked quite well for me. Westone and Etymotic also offer similar options, though typically at a higher price. If you don't know, the active ones have microphones in them so you can hear your environment, but they clip any impact noise so it stays at a safe level. I have the custom molded ones (perks of the job hah), and they work brilliantly. I took them on a Saskatchewan snow goose hunt where we were fortunate to average 100 birds a day -- so there was a lot of shooting. Didn't notice any problems with my ears. I've also used them on my SoDak pheasant hunts without a problem. SoundGear sells non-custom options for ~$250 a pair on sale. A pair of customs will run you $1k. (Note that they do offer military/police discounts.) These are the pricier options, but I'd argue that it's a good deal compared to the $3-6k of a pair of hearing aids. And hearing aids aren't a quick fix like glasses either. They will help you hear better, but I always tell my patients that hearing aids are just that... aid. And beyond hearing aids, quite a few of my patients have had to move to cochlear implants because of noise exposure, but you get the point.

Regarding cheaper options, foam earplugs can work well for the right user and the right ears. But I'd say most people don't put them in properly and some ears just don't accept them well due to size and shape. If they're hanging out of your ears Frankenstein style, they're not doing their job. The tree style ones can be good for quick use because they don't need time to expand like the foam plugs, but again, some ears don't accept them well. And if they don't fit well or you don't give the foam ones time to expand, you're not getting adequate protection. Custom is hands down the best option in my opinion. If you can't swing the active ones, a pair of standard custom plugs will run you $100-$200 a pair. With custom, you can ensure you're getting good attenuation without the wait time of the foam. I am a big fan of muffs for a ton of other situations because they're easy to put on and give quick, consistent attenuation. However, I assume you won't be dragging these into the backcountry with you.

One tip: If you're in a pinch and can only get one earplug in, put it in the opposite ear. So if you shoot right handed, put it in your left ear and vice versa. That's the ear that is most susceptible damage due to noise.

tl;dr - The best type hearing protection is the hearing protection you'll use. Active hearing protection has some great advantages, but they are pricey. Standard custom plugs are cheaper and provide excellent, consistent attenuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwl79902

WKR
Great first post man thanks a bunch that was great info. I was out today with my late fathers 16 gauge. It has a funky chock works like a break. I had only one shot and I deffently had some ringing in my ear after wards. I am hunting birds a lot more and am going to put some money into hearing protection.

What do you think of the walker game ears such as
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walkers-...MI5KyT7_nu3gIVQRh9Ch3SfwJuEAQYAiABEgItZvD_BwE

I've never used them personally, but the specs look good! I think the hardest part with hearing protection is finding a good fit. If these do, then they should work. Those have an NRR (noise reduction rating) of 25, which is sufficient. In general, the higher NRR, the better.

Yes- thank you Weston for the detailed info. I’m not sure if my Soundgear industrial plugs are working right or not.

I have shot with them in and felt like they didn’t cut the noise out soon enough, so my ears were ringing. But, since that fateful day when I shot the muley and bull with my 300 Win Mag without ear pro, my ears ring all the time and even more so from even small sounds like a door slamming.

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for posting sandhill. I've experienced the same thing with the Sound Gear plugs. I quit using them and have gone to a set of Howard Leight muffs. They work great. The downside is they are a bit bulky and hold sweat around the ears if using them while moving.

Yes- thank you Weston for the detailed info. I’m not sure if my Soundgear industrial plugs are working right or not.

I have shot with them in and felt like they didn’t cut the noise out soon enough, so my ears were ringing. But, since that fateful day when I shot the muley and bull with my 300 Win Mag without ear pro, my ears ring all the time and even more so from even small sounds like a door slamming.

That's a bummer they didn't work for you. I hope you were able to return them.

When I first got mine, I went into my sound booth and started clapping to try and get them to suppress that impact noise. They didn't cut the sound like some of the active muffs I had used previously. I contacted the company and they said that their algorithm doesn't cut out sound completely during the shot but rather caps the output at something like 90 dB SPL. So it's a compressor (turns down the volume) rather than a gate (turns off the volume). I was suspicious until I took them on that Sask hunt, and they performed well for me. Maybe that's what you were experiencing?

WKR
I need to start wearing plugs when I am bird hunting. Early 50s and sitting here typing this with constant ringing in my ears from last weekends bird outing.

That's a bummer they didn't work for you. I hope you were able to return them.

So it's a compressor (turns down the volume) rather than a gate (turns off the volume). Maybe that's what you were experiencing?

I still have them.

I’ve worn them turkey hunting but haven’t got a shot at one. I would also try them dove or waterfowl hunting. Walking around with them in (like mountain hunting) is too annoying to me, so I ordered some of the 3m push in plugs mentioned above.

I bet you’re right about it compressing the sound instead of shutting it off. I’m just hyper sensitive about it since I don’t want to do any further damage.

I even wear ear pro at concerts now. Also lawn mowing, leaf blowing, using a power saw- most power tools. All the stuff I should have been wearing ear pro for the last 40 years.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Walkers ear plug style, but didnt think the plug sat in my ear correctly. Switched to pro ears gold series muffs. Worked great this year whitetail hunting, but not sure if they would hold up on a backpack hunt. It was snowing when i shot my buck and i could hear through my goretex hood, but great attunation when i shot. Quick story with ear plug style. I once plugged my ear with wax due to the funny ear plug and needed it removed at the doctors to get my hearing back in one ear. That would suck if i wasnt 20 minutes from my doctor.

Andy S.

FNG
I use Peltor ear muffs. You cannot protect your ears enough IMO. Start early and protect them at all costs.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
It may seem strange but one of the worst cases of ear ringing I have had was from shooting a .22 pistol without ear plugs.