Ear Protection while Rifle Hunting

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5 CM with a muzzlebrake that I shot for the first time without ear protection while hunting mule deer. The shot really messed my ears up, I had pain in the ears for 2 days afterwards, a few hours of ringing etc. So, obviously not something I'm going to do again if I value my long term hearing.

As I see it my options are:
1. Wear ear protection while hunting - This seems unreasonable as you never know when an animal may run out to pop them in. Sometimes if you are doing a stalk you could pop them in knowing there is potential for a shot. I don't think Id wear them 24/7 as you would lose the ability to hear the environment around you. I have some of those walker ear buds and those were pretty poor the one time I tried to hunt birds with them on. The sounds directly by me such as the grass I was stepping on was very amplified and you still couldn't hear more distant sounds.

2. Buy a suppressor. I made this gun somewhat light and short which would then add probably 13oz and about 4 inches to the length of the barrel.

How does everyone else approach this issue?

UtahJimmy

WKR
Option 3: take your muzzle brake off for hunting. Makes your light rifle lighter. win-win!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Two years ago was the first time I rifle hunted with hearing protection around my neck......intending to put them on when needed. Well, I saw a coyote moving around a bottom area and ranged him and then lined him up through my scope on my 7 mag.......and pulled the trigger. Ya, it hurt my right ear pretty badly. I don't remember having that problem when shooting elk or deer without ear protection.....maybe the adrenaline makes a difference????

ckleeves

WKR
Just throw the brake away and toss a suppressor or thread protector on it. Never could understand putting a loudener on a light kicker.....

X2. Unless your doing PRS type shooting and firing hundreds of rounds in a day and needing to easily spot your own hits I don’t see a reason for a brake on a Creedmoor as a hunting rifle.

If I hadn’t done load development and have everything dialed and verified with the suppressor on my 6.5 I honestly don’t think I would hunt with it on. It’s weight and more so length isn’t really that much fun to carry all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
X2. Unless your doing PRS type shooting and firing hundreds of rounds in a day and needing to easily spot your own hits I don’t see a reason for a brake on a Creedmoor as a hunting rifle.

If I hadn’t done load development and have everything dialed and verified with the suppressor on my 6.5 I honestly don’t think I would hunt with it on. It’s weight and more so length isn’t really that much fun to carry all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning on using it for PRS shooting, I basically have a sub 9 lb with scope chassis rifle. It was my "do everything" rifle.

boom

WKR
i have those cheapo foam ones everywhere. my truck, my pack, etc.

i make a conscious effort to slip some in before the shooting begins. i find being NEXT to a shooter is worse!

besides, i wear them to sleep. i just like muffling everything. every bump in the night gets me up. (i wont do this in bear country :D )

I keep a set of earplugs around my neck when hunting, similar to the link that CorbLand posted. It's really quick and easy to slip them on really quick when you're ready to shoot

Muttly

WKR
Mine has a crush washer and has to be "Tuned" just worth it to redo it every time?

Price out some hearing aids, and compare that to the cost and weight of a suppressor. And be aware that once the ringing sets in, it does not get quieter as your hearing fades.
I don't say that to be a smart ass, but as a guy who had a few warning shots, so to speak, before that ship sailed.
I know suppressors are expensive, and the weight time involved.
I like to fool around with muzzle brakes at the range, but I know me, and I need a brake I can remove for hunting.

Go for earplugs like the ones in the link above or a set with a cord attaching them. Keep them around your neck.

There are some electronic options but they cost $$$.

The crushable foam ones are better than nothing but keep in mind it takes time for them to expand for protection.

Taking a brake off. Longer barrel. A can.

Those will all help but are no. A full solution. Yes, even the best rifle cans are not “hearing safe”.

I am middle aged now and really started to get serious about this stuff 10 years ago. Unfortunately in .mil and sometimes after that I didn’t wear ear pro while shooting. Take it from one who knows, shooting a gun unprotected ONE SINGLE time causes permanent, irreversible damage. It accumulates over time and you will eventually have hearing loss. If you are especially unlucky, like me, you will also have tinnitus along the way. All and I mean all of my hunting buddies over 60-65 have issues. Protect your ears, back and knees and your older self will thank you.

davsco

WKR
this is my first year i've hunted with a gun with a brake on it. i wore the peltor tep200 electronic earplugs. you can hear everything, and more, around you but you get the hearing protection. i've been using them at various prs, 3 gun and uspsa/idpa matches. i need to find another insert as at the end of the day my ears are a little sore. the last day on my (unsuccessful) elk hunt, i brought my pro ears 300 electronic muffs and set those beside me to throw on instead but alas never needed them.

I bought a Savage LWH a couple years ago. Never shot a barrel that short before. First couple shots hunting sent my ears ringing for days. I never expected it to be so loud. I cannot imagine what a break would be like without protection. After that I started carrying ear plugs. Next hunt got too excited and forgot to put them in.

spaniel

FNG
Last year I went on an elk hunt with my only braked rifle (338 Edge). I got a shot opportunity, it all happened very fast, I either had to take a shot without hearing protection or pass on it. And it was around my neck. I took the shot, got the elk, but I paid for it.

Even without a brake, high powered rifles are just too much without hearing protection. I grew up hunting with slug guns and muzzleloaders, it was not nearly as bad.

You should look into SoundGear. After that elk hunt I asked my wife to get a pair for me for Christmas. It makes a world of difference. YOuc an wear them all day, and unlike electronic muffs they don't mess up the sound and you barely realize you have them in. Yet when you take the shot they are quite effective. One pair of batteries will last days if you take them out when not in use (only way to turn them off). I went on a week long hunt this year, and didn't wear out a set of batteries. I now have zero excuse not to have hearing protection for every shot.

The ONLY negative I can share is that I don't consider them sufficient for crowded range use. I tried them during an F-class competition and with all the rifle reports, especially if I was setting up my rifle and someone was shooting next to me and I was somewhat even to their muzzle, it was too load and I wanted my foamies back.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Those look very interesting, so you can hear with them in?
Yeah, not anywhere as good as the electric muffs but they work well. I serve as a Range Officer at a local gun range, I prefer muffs if I'm under the covered area but they work for the open areas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk