Moose mistaken for Elk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
IMO there is no such thing as "mistakenly" killing a moose while elk hunting. Night and day difference between the two, and if they don't know the difference to start with, then they shouldn't be out there hunting for either.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Several mistakes made, hopefully he learned his lesson.

CorbLand

WKR
Super glad he self reported. Lots of mistakes made, hopefully he is punished accordingly and it doesnt happen again.

neverquit

WKR
I talked with a warden in Az once. He told me I’d shit if I knew how many mature mule deer bucks get killed during the late bull hunt.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I talked with a warden in Az once. He told me I’d shit if I knew how many mature mule deer bucks get killed during the late bull hunt.

This. As well as whitetails being killed during mule deer hunts up in Unit 8. Called one into AZGFD two years ago when a two guys had a coues in the back of their truck during my muley hunt. A simple hunter's ed class would probably solve the majority of these incidents.

I certainly wont be the one to cast the first stone. A person should be judged more so on their actions after they realize they have done something wrong. Too bad this happened but I respect him for owning up to what he did.

spaniel

FNG
An incredibly careless mistake, but one has to give the guy points for doing the right thing. Others could and have just let the animal lie and rot to escape the penalties.

Hey that's not as bad as what my mom saw about 10 years ago.

My mom works for the USFS somewhere in WA and was out in the field and came upon hunters that had field dressed a cow. Yes. a yearling black Angus. I kid you not they thought their cow tag in camp was for exactly that. The LEO couldn't hold a straight face when he arrived and the game wardens and rancher weren't too happy about it.

LandYacht

WKR
Seems to me that $1k fine is about one third of what it should be. Just a nonresident tag to hunt them legally is over twice the cost of the fine to shoot one illegally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
Already this year, six moose have been mistakenly killed in the northwestern part of the state, he said. In Colorado, an average of 12 moose are mistakenly shot annually, he said.

Mind Blowing...

Seems to me that $1k fine is about one third of what it should be. Just a nonresident tag to hunt them legally is over twice the cost of the fine to shoot one illegally.

if he had not self reported the fine would have been well over $20K . He would have gotten illegal possession, illegal take, and he would have gotten a samson law attachement which i think starts at $10K.

LandYacht

WKR
if he had not self reported the fine would have been well over $20K . He would have gotten illegal possession, illegal take, and he would have gotten a samson law attachement which i think starts at $10K.

Which is reasonable.

IMO there is no such thing as "mistakenly" killing a moose while elk hunting. Night and day difference between the two, and if they don't know the difference to start with, then they shouldn't be out there hunting for either.

Great point. How many tragic stories have we heard about another hunter being mistaken for a deer? Seems careless hunters are everywhere.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I give the guy respect for self reporting. Takes a big man to own up to your mistake's and accept the consequences. Doesn't change the fact that he's a total putz.

sndmn11

WKR
If the consequences were similar between self reporting and trying to go undetected, self reporting would be respect worthy. I think regardless of what the two choices are in any situation, most people would choose spending a few $k versus a few $10k.

If the consequences were similar between self reporting and trying to go undetected, self reporting would be respect worthy. I think regardless of what the two choices are in any situation, most people would choose spending a few $k versus a few $10k.

Depends on an individual's system of values I suppose. It's gonna vary from person to person.