Pole building with living quarters

kipper09

WKR
Off topic a little bit from the usual here, but thought I would throw it out there. I’m looking at selling my place and maybe building another. I came up with an idea and thought I’d see if you all have any input. I’m thinking of building a pole building on the new property, making part of the pole building living space to live in while I have the the house built. Save from renting and finding storage for boat and all my other gear. My thought is a pole building 30x48, 30 wide 48 deep. Garage doors in Gable end. Thinking of petitioning off the back 14 feet and making living quarters. So it would be 30x14 or so. Still have main storage for boat and stuff of 30x34. Have a bathroom with shower and a small kitchenette type thing. And of course a main living area. After the House is built I figure I could make it a place for visitors or a gym or game room/ kids area or something of that nature. Anybody ever put living space in a pole building? Is it reasonably cheap for what you get? Anything I should consider or watch out for or prepare in advance? Any input or advice I would love to hear.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been thinking of doing this, but living in it full time. From what little research I've done, it's way cheaper than a traditional type house.

Randle

WKR
We were looking into this also. Up you have to have building engineered for a dwelling. Not a big deal . I would double the size you think you need . A shop is never big enough. Hahaha.

My cousin put up a metal pole building and made it into a house. Inside you couldn't tell and it was actually quite nice with the tall ceilings.

My wife and I hope to purchase some land in the next year or so. Or plan is to build a garage with an apartment loft and live in it for a while and then build a house. The garage will be for our camp trailer and other "stuff" so our back up plan is to just build the garage and live in our camper inside it for a while.

County could shut it down. Point is make sure the county or whatever will allow it as a residence.

A heavy topic for sure. A couple of thoughts. How much cheaper is it to do the pole thing where you are? If you plan to build it and insulated it. Ie stud walls an actual ceiling windows, etc. A slab. I think what you pay vs what you get compared to a conventional foundation, stud walls, floor joists, etc. It may not be a great deal. I am not against it, btw.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Well my thought behind it was I could have the building after the conventional house was built. I always need extra storage so the pole building should fit that. I just figured I could enclose the back of the pole building and make it living space to live in while I was having the house built. Figure I could throw up some walls. Insulate it. Put some creature necessities in it like water and shower, bathroom haha. Put a little kitchen in it. I’m not contractor so my abilities are pretty limited but in my brain I thought it would suffice for a place to live cheap to keep from renting and finding places to put tractors and boats and hunting equipment. Always have it for an in law place or something for visitors. Appreciate the input. Love to hear more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Another alternative is to put a travel trailer it for your kitchen and bath temporarily and then have a heated room for a living area that would turn into the gym/game room/etc... You woudl need to build tall (I think 12' walls) with a tall door to fit. Your climate should work - a camper in a building wouldn't freeze if you had the heat on even a tiny bit.

Have a 30x50 Morton Building - nice to have for sure. Great company to work with.

keller

WKR
its a great idea lot of people in Wisconsin do this for cabins or their houses.as far as price goes once you get into finishing it the price is not a whole lot cheaper than stick built.of course it depends on the year a hurricane for example wood material price doubles or triples.steel price has been gradually climbing each year.i have been pricing out a 50'x100'x16' pole shed about $50k no concrete.my buddy lives on a lake he had plans for a 50'x120'x18' he is going to finish 30' off and have 2 stories.then keep the rest for boat,pontoon,snowmachine etc... storage.he priced out both stick built and pole depending on the builders the prices varied drastically both ways.

Randle

WKR
One other thing to check. Up here when your house is complete ,the residence in the shop has to be removed as in plumbing and such to make it storage instead of a 2nd dwelling.. That is required before the CO is issued for the new house.

I just built a 28x30 pole barn using attic trusses. This gave me a 14x30 room above. That being said not sure how much I really saved over a stick build to be honest.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
My relatives framed in a L shaped living quarters into their pole barn and raised a family in the house while running a tire shop and auction out of the other side. This was in west Texas where you are free to live as you see fit. Where I grew up in the northeast you need a permit for damn near everything and your property got reassessed when you closed it out. It's great when you think you are going to save money in the long run going with higher efficiency upgrades only to have your taxes raised significantly

andy57

FNG
Here in the midwest this is common. We have no real zoning where I live and I know several who have done this .Some as full blown houses and some as shop?home.

cnelk

WKR
Its not a problem. Just get the necessary permits and classify it as a residence.

I build a 'pole barn' house for my mom and dad many years ago here in Colorado.
We put hot water heat in the concrete floor, had 6" wall insulation and an attached garage.

Code says you need a 1 HR rated wall between the garage and living area and any door must have a closer on it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Use your search engine and look for “barndo” and you’ll come up with a lot of ideas and pictures.