Is Moose poaching a problem in CO?

ChrisAU

WKR
Saw this in the Gunnison CPW office. Holy smokes.

45030891_10106459044549811_7202718425213304832_n.jpg

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Obviously there is no such thing as mistaking one for an elk. Especially in a bull only unit, with antler restrictions.

oldgoat

WKR
But horses and cows get shot just about every year here too being mistaken for elk and then there was the kid archery hunting with his dad last year or the year before that got shot and killed by a muzzle loader hunter.

davsco

WKR
damn i was going to pop me a moose, but that extra $.50 just puts me over the edge.

4ester

WKR
Makes me afraid to be in the woods with some of these idiots. I’ve often thought that my dry earth FL clothing is risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm originally from Meeker, and seems to be one shot and left around there just about every year or 2, and theres not really a lot around the meeker area yet, I imagine there are several shot each year in areas where they are a little more common.

4ester

WKR
And yet I see pics of guys carrying their elk heads out........."antlers up" every year. SMH

Yeah I still don’t get that either. Way easier to carry them horns down. And on a big bull you can rest the whale tails on the ground like a kickstand and take a break. Never killed a 400” bull so maybe that’s how it has to be done but I have my doubts unless the mains are stupid long or you are 4’ 10” tall. Just got a visual of a short guy that can’t put his feet on the ground on a 400” bull haha..........hanging from his pack. Now that’s a problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

"....that elk must have gotten tangled up in some flagging tape....BANG"

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
There was a kid I went to high school with that shot a beef cow one year mistaking it for a deer, they gave him a fine but didn't revoke privileges, everyone should get a second chance. He used his second chance the next year and shot another beef cow...

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I don't get it. We saw cows last week in the gulch walking in, 200-300 yards through timber. All 4 of us were first timers anxious to just lay eyes on an elk, and we knew instantly they were beef cows without picking up binos or rifles. They behave and look very differently.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There was a kid I went to high school with that shot a beef cow one year mistaking it for a deer, they gave him a fine but didn't revoke privileges, everyone should get a second chance. He used his second chance the next year and shot another beef cow...

That's because the CPW doesn't regulate bovine shooting. That would fall to the rancher pressing charges, and the county Sheriff.