Recommend me the BEST rechargeable Headlamp!

Like 204guy, I used to use the walmarts, then wanted to upgrade so I bought a black diamond, then wanted a better one so got a better black diamond, then a friend had a zebralight once and its a whole different league. "Regular" headlamps are like being in a dark room with a flashlight - zebralights are like just having the lights on instead. The best part is not only is the light super bright, but it can also go super dim - and battery life on the low settings is measured in months.

I use it for hunting (blood trailing and field dressing is where they really shine, no pun intended), grilling, getting wood from the woodpile, mechanic work, etc

I use the heck out of my zebralight and after a while, I'll think "man this thing must be getting low, I should recharge it so I don't run out next time I use it", and I'll put the battery in the charger and it'll still be 75%+.. crazy how long those 18650s last.

I use the H600Fw Mk II (floody, neutral white), which is actually on sale right now for $59. Since I've gotten mine years ago, they've come out with Mk III and now I see Mk IV as well. I don't know anything about those however.

H600Fw Mk II Floody 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White

Drop Bear

FNG
Im a buy once, cry once guy. I use a headlamp alot for camping, hunting, working around the house, etc, so I need something I can adjust brightness on as sometimes on my old Princeton the first click on is just too bright.

I think Id prefer something I could just plug in a micro usb in the truck or house like a phone. That seems to limit your options and most seem to have the 18650 batteries you have to remove and put in a cradle. I dont know.....sway me whatever way with you like with pros and cons. I know changing out to three AAA batteries is getting old. TIA

I'm using the Black Diamond Sprinter. Great headlamp, throws a fairly even broad beam (not a spotlight). I prefer the three strap design as i feel it dosn't slide around as much. Its designed more for running and has a read red light. Batteries don't last as long as replaceables but rechargeables generally don't.

SWOHTR

WKR
Petzl taktikka. I bought it two months ago. Has white, red, blue, and green lights. Dim/medium/bright. Can buy their rechargeable battery for it and it plugs into micro USB. No need to remove battery to charge. I think it was $50 and the battery was $30. I use mine a lot - walking, running, hunting. Battery life is phenomenal. Last time I charged it was over a month ago and I’ve probably got 10 hours out of this charge, using mostly the medium and bright white settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kong

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like do the Zebralights the higher models MK 3 and 4 have increased run times.

Pike40

FNG
I have a couple of them that I like. One is a jetstream that uses one 18650 battery. Good run times and good lumens. The other I use is a black diamond icon with eneloops, also a great light. I own several olight and fenix flashlights and would also recommend looking at their headlamps, good quality stuff. I am slowly moving to the 18650 platform for rechargeable, they have so much more power and can drive much higher emitters for better run times. My jetbeam was like $40 and is 800 lumen on high.

Last edited:
The Zebralights have treated me well over the years. I like the 600's. I have an older spot style beam that is great for reaching out and seeing for a distance. The flood type is great for lighting up a general area, but not so much for distance.

Esse quam videri

Muttly

WKR
Like 204guy, I used to use the walmarts, then wanted to upgrade so I bought a black diamond, then wanted a better one so got a better black diamond, then a friend had a zebralight once and its a whole different league. "Regular" headlamps are like being in a dark room with a flashlight - zebralights are like just having the lights on instead. The best part is not only is the light super bright, but it can also go super dim - and battery life on the low settings is measured in months.

I use it for hunting (blood trailing and field dressing is where they really shine, no pun intended), grilling, getting wood from the woodpile, mechanic work, etc

I use the heck out of my zebralight and after a while, I'll think "man this thing must be getting low, I should recharge it so I don't run out next time I use it", and I'll put the battery in the charger and it'll still be 75%+.. crazy how long those 18650s last.

I use the H600Fw Mk II (floody, neutral white), which is actually on sale right now for $59. Since I've gotten mine years ago, they've come out with Mk III and now I see Mk IV as well. I don't know anything about those however.

H600Fw Mk II Floody 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White

In the grand tradition of guys everywhere shopping waaaaay late for Christmas, challenge noted and accepted!!!
See if I can get this under the tree in time, been meaning to get my wife a fairly bright headlamp.
Brought home a tasmanian devil that looked enough like a dog that I was fooled by it the other day, just lucky there's still a tree up..

jp0212

FNG
I have two headlamps that are my hardcore go to's, both Petzl. The Petzl Nao+ is a reactive headlamp, so it auto dims if needed. I can also program it on my phone, which is awesome. My other is the E+Lite (older version). I saw Aron talking about it on a podcast, and immediately went out and bought one. It weighs less than an ounce so I keep it in my bino bivy. Not a big fan of the new version.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Does Zebralight make headlamps that can do both flood and spot or a good spot that has spillover?

Beendare

WKR
Does Zebralight make headlamps that can do both flood and spot or a good spot that has spillover?

Zebra makes essentially 3 options in beam spread, actually more depending on the lens; 90 deg with spill, 90deg frosted lens, and a 120 deg wide angle.

Plus Zebra gives you multiple Kelvin options [soft, daylight or bright white] Their 4,000K is noticeably softer light.

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
Do you order your 18650 batteries from Zebra or use a different brand? Also what charger is recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Do you order your 18650 batteries from Zebra or use a different brand? Also what charger is recommended?

There are a few good threads on comparing these rechargeable headlamps on this site if you search. There are some really good AA and 18650 units out there....then just pack a spare battery. I just did some informal testing, "Happy headlamp..." in the gear section.

I think the key is to stick to name brands...some are controlled [internal circuits]...some not. These rechargeable batteries can be dangerous if you damage them. I like the Miboxer C8 charger the best....link in my thread.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few. Thrunite makes a good rechargeable headlamp. Quality aluminum cosnstruction. You can get them on their website or through Amazon. I just got a Nitecore NU32 that seems slick. Has red and white LED's with separate switches, so it's pretty simple.

Hey, man! As a person who loves to hunt at night, I have also been looking for a high-quality headlamp for a long time. First of all, I was looking for this thing on Amazon because I have many hunting friends who ordered many different things from there. By the way, one of them advised me to buy head lamps. He praised the headlamp that he bought so much that I will also purchase it according to his recommendations. Well, I like the price, and I read the reviews, and I decided that I would try, if it was terrible, I would already go to a local store for hunters and buy some expensive...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw