Hunters rescued. No headlamps/Flashlights

Trial153

WKR
The darkest place I have ever experienced is the North woods of Maine. Larry Benoit said that nightfall in the Maine woods so hard that you could hear it drop.

I don’t know if I’d be quite as stoked as those guys while posing for the rescue pic for the paper.

I have been rescued once- well, partially. It’s been 4-5 years now. West fork complex. A couple buddies and I were on an annual backpacking/flyfishing trip- and the fire was on the other side of wolf creek pass and we weren’t overly comcerned. When dawn broke day 2 and we could see smoke, we talked things over and said- well the wind has changed and the fire is probably still not a problem but then that evening it was like snow as there was ash drifting into the valley- and I thought, damn I bet we are going to see that fire, and that’s not really what I’m lookin for. The next morning we were drinking coffee and talking about exfill- when low and behold- “”THERE IT IS!!!”
It was asses and elbows from there. As we got to where we would begin climbing out of the valley I stopped and took a picture of the fire. With my iPhone- so it was pretty close. Anyway- go to the trailhead and there’s the sheriff and the search and rescue folks- and they were like “it’s damn good to see you ****ers here, and not be going in there to find you”

We partied in south fork until the police evacuated us in the morning. We made the news, a buddy from Denver was watching the news in the airport in Seattle when our “rescue” made mention.
4b22183934891e66815c35af4832bda1.jpg

856e03e8603715a6bf2dee3e2609a916.jpg

ac6ec918b8476b7dfdf28d181364ca17.jpg

956389d1d384844f28b7c8afd381354a.jpg

AKBorn

WKR
Wow Juan, that would be pucker factor for sure! Thanks for sharing the story and photos, glad you guys got out of there.

And yes, bring our headlamps everyone! My hunting partner forgot his on a remote Alaska hunt a couple of years back. Could have solved by double checking his gear while we were still in town, but it served to reinforce that preparedness is our friend.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if I’d be quite as stoked as those guys while posing for the rescue pic for the paper.

I have been rescued once- well, partially. It’s been 4-5 years now. West fork complex. A couple buddies and I were on an annual backpacking/flyfishing trip- and the fire was on the other side of wolf creek pass and we weren’t overly comcerned. When dawn broke day 2 and we could see smoke, we talked things over and said- well the wind has changed and the fire is probably still not a problem but then that evening it was like snow as there was ash drifting into the valley- and I thought, damn I bet we are going to see that fire, and that’s not really what I’m lookin for. The next morning we were drinking coffee and talking about exfill- when low and behold- “”THERE IT IS!!!”
It was asses and elbows from there. As we got to where we would begin climbing out of the valley I stopped and took a picture of the fire. With my iPhone- so it was pretty close. Anyway- go to the trailhead and there’s the sheriff and the search and rescue folks- and they were like “it’s damn good to see you ****ers here, and not be going in there to find you”

We partied in south fork until the police evacuated us in the morning. We made the news, a buddy from Denver was watching the news in the airport in Seattle when our “rescue” made mention.
4b22183934891e66815c35af4832bda1.jpg

856e03e8603715a6bf2dee3e2609a916.jpg

ac6ec918b8476b7dfdf28d181364ca17.jpg

956389d1d384844f28b7c8afd381354a.jpg

I remember that fire and that same day vividly. I was working on a ranch just north of wolf creek pass. I remember talking to a guy in the bar in Creede and telling him I didn’t think the fire would jump the pass. Man was I wrong. Sheriff knocked on our door at 1:00 the next day and told us we had to go. By the time I got guests and staff evacuated the smoke was so thick I couldn’t see more than a few hundred yards in any direction. When I finally left that night at the cutoff time I was the only person on the highway going through south fork. Still the most erie drive of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Reading the article it makes it sound like they did just fine. Made a fire, weathered the night, and were found the next morning no worse for the wear. It doesn't seem to indicate if they were completely lost, or just walking out when located.

It would seem they at least had the minimum gear necessary to survive the night in the woods. Probably be carrying more gear now though.
They were yelling for help, so I'm guessing they had no clue where they were. Why would you waste time yelling if you were on a trail, or knew where you were? Those guys were lost.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

“Partied” in South Fork

At the one restaurant in town?

It was just a bar- the restaurant was closed and
A new restaurant csme next year or the year after. The brtender was pouring shots and shots and shots- people were tearing dollar bills off the wall- the guy who worked at the Flyshop next door and his roommate the forest service guy were like “no sense paying to stay in hotel that’s just going burn down in the morning!! Come to our cabin and keep partying” which we did with about 15 other folks.