Hunters rescued. No headlamps/Flashlights

They learned a lesson and will approach the next hunt differently
... one would hope

Same for most of us to some degree, we all learn and adjust gear list for next time.

But no artificial light?
Seriously?

At least they had matches, and fortunately it wasn't raining, snowing or just a plain wet environment

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
on a trip to the weminuche we took a guy we grew up with that was a pretty decent hunter and outdoors man. sam was taking him scouting up high one mourning. they got up and sam was pushing him to get going. why we got all day--yea right. take rain gear and etc etc.

well they get half way and it is getting long toward evening and sam says we got to turn back. why. well, we did not get started early and if you are going somewhere in the mountains you start early. then a cloud came over and there was some rain. no rain gear. lots of lessons in a few hours.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
They learned a lesson and will approach the next hunt differently
... one would hope

Same for most of us to some degree, we all learn and adjust gear list for next time.

But no artificial light?
Seriously?

At least they had matches, and fortunately it wasn't raining, snowing or just a plain wet environment

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, not carrying a puffy and a light during an October elk hunt in Colorado are two pretty serious mistakes. Imagine trying to treat a injury, even a relatively minor one, without a light. The other thing is that they must have been aware of an encroaching nightfall and the fact that they didn’t have lights nor insulation. Surely they would have thought about killing an animal at dusk and needing lights of some type to deal with a kill -otherwise, why would you even go after an elk in the afternoon?

Back in Fall of 2002, I was rock climbing in Linville Gorge, North Carolina with a girlfriend. We were both highly experienced climbers and I had even done some big wall and alpine climbing. -may have even been a little bit cocky. We went out to do two very popular and also very moderate (5.6/5.7) multi pitch climbs, both of which required decents Into the gorge, the 2nd route required a multi pitch repel. I had done both of these routes several times. I had even rope solo’d one of them as well as simul climbed it with a different climbing partner in about 15 minutes. My gf and I went out with the intention of climbing both routes inside of 2 hours. I was wearing a pair of shorts (no shirt), a camel back, a light rack and a rope.

We flew up the first route, which was slightly more difficult, very quickly and rappelled back into the gorge to find ourselves stuck behind an impossibly slow and inexperienced partner. Hours ticked away before we could start climbing. We passed the slow party at our insistence and to their dissent. We climbed as fast as we could and I managed to top out just as last light faded. My GF followed the last pitch in complete darkness. With no headlamps and only a series of informal climber trails that skirted the edge of the cliff, we were left to find our way through a maze of cliff bands and rorodendrom in the pitch black. A 40 minute approach turned into an 8-10 return. Headlamp lesson thoroughly learned.

Saw “a sweet”YouTube video a while ago where a guy is posted up on a hilltop, has a buck bedded down that he can no longer see in his scope due to brush. The guy posts up all day and smokes the mulie a little before dusk at 800 something yards and then he and his buddy leave and comeback to recover it the next
Day. Buddy had no head lamp.

Why the hell waste all day waiting on a half mile shot when your budddy has no headlamp- go ahead and get in there and kill him while you have time to deal with him. I guess that’s not much of of a social Media video though.

Some stuff I don’t get.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Saw “a sweet”YouTube video a while ago where a guy is posted up on a hilltop, has a buck bedded down that he can no longer see in his scope due to brush. The guy posts up all day and smokes the mulie a little before dusk at 800 something yards and then he and his buddy leave and comeback to recover it the next
Day. Buddy had no head lamp.

Why the hell waste all day waiting on a half mile shot when your budddy has no headlamp- go ahead and get in there and kill him while you have time to deal with him. I guess that’s not much of of a social Media video though.

Some stuff I don’t get.
They couldn't brag that they shot it at 800 if he sneaked in to 200. Instafamous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
I assumed they were Texans. Sorry Texans.
As a Texan, I wish I could refute this. Unfortunately, I also think these hunters must be Texans. Only Texas or Florida can produce this level of stupid. Sorry Floridians, you know it's true.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
As a Texan, I wish I could refute this. Unfortunately, I also think these hunters must be Texans. Only Texas or Florida can produce this level of stupid. Sorry Floridians, you know it's true.

They were actually from
Phoenix, but I, too, would have guessed Texas.

Murdy

WKR
" after criminal background checks and hunting license checks, they were sent on their way."

Why did the newspaper find it relevant to mention this? LOL

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, not carrying a puffy and a light during an October elk hunt in Colorado are two pretty serious mistakes. Imagine trying to treat a injury, even a relatively minor one, without a light. The other thing is that they must have been aware of an encroaching nightfall and the fact that they didn’t have lights nor insulation. Surely they would have thought about killing an animal at dusk and needing lights of some type to deal with a kill -otherwise, why would you even go after an elk in the afternoon?

Back in Fall of 2002, I was rock climbing in Linville Gorge, North Carolina with a girlfriend. We were both highly experienced climbers and I had even done some big wall and alpine climbing. -may have even been a little bit cocky. We went out to do two very popular and also very moderate (5.6/5.7) multi pitch climbs, both of which required decents Into the gorge, the 2nd route required a multi pitch repel. I had done both of these routes several times. I had even rope solo’d one of them as well as simul climbed it with a different climbing partner in about 15 minutes. My gf and I went out with the intention of climbing both routes inside of 2 hours. I was wearing a pair of shorts (no shirt), a camel back, a light rack and a rope.

We flew up the first route, which was slightly more difficult, very quickly and rappelled back into the gorge to find ourselves stuck behind an impossibly slow and inexperienced partner. Hours ticked away before we could start climbing. We passed the slow party at our insistence and to their dissent. We climbed as fast as we could and I managed to top out just as last light faded. My GF followed the last pitch in complete darkness. With no headlamps and only a series of informal climber trails that skirted the edge of the cliff, we were left to find our way through a maze of cliff bands and rorodendrom in the pitch black. A 40 minute approach turned into an 8-10 return. Headlamp lesson thoroughly learned.

The Gorge can get hairy. I live about 30 minutes away and love to spend time in the area. You werent climbing the Mummy and the Daddy by chance were you?

There was a couple kids on youtube that had to be rescued this year by helicopter because they didn't have enough water......They were also from Texas...So yes, it would have been a safe guess.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Reading the article it makes it sound like they did just fine. Made a fire, weathered the night, and were found the next morning no worse for the wear. It doesn't seem to indicate if they were completely lost, or just walking out when located.

It would seem they at least had the minimum gear necessary to survive the night in the woods. Probably be carrying more gear now though.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
The Gorge can get hairy. I live about 30 minutes away and love to spend time in the area. You werent climbing the Mummy and the Daddy by chance were you?

Yup. Sure was. We had to find our way back to the Mountain to Sea trail from the top of the Mummy. We tried following the social trail around the rim, but it was so dark that we were having to crawl on our hands and knees to keep from stepping off the edge. You could feel the cold air but couldn’t see the edge. After getting lost and cliffed out numerous times, we just pointed uphill knowing that we would eventually hit the trail.

The day before, we did “Open Book” which has the same approach as The Daddy. That was a wild route. One of my all time favorite leads.

boom

WKR
ahahha..funny TExan comments (born and raised).

i'm sitting in my office in the middle of town, and i have a flashlight with me. there is a headlamp in my truck and a flashlight..

but i was addicted to flashlights for awhile. plus earthquakes never announce their arrival.

davsco

WKR
amazing how dark it gets 'out there' and how quick that happens. i was way up in a colo canyon and figured i'd just let gravity guide me back to the truck. for the most part it did, but even with my headlamp there were some iffy moments.