Looking to donate a rifle to a Veteran or someone in the Denver area

Hi everyone,

I've never done this, so don't know the best way to go about it, or if this is even the best place in the forum to put something like this? I am hoping some of you will reach out about yourselves, maybe a friend, or family member that could really use this rifle. It must be in the Denver area, or within an hour or so of the Denver area to meet at an FLL to do the transfer. I want to keep it local.

I am looking to donate a turn key rifle that just doesn't get used anymore. I have been fortunate enough to be able to upgrade to a few new rifles that just pushed this one out and it isn't getting used. I think its a great big game rifle for Western Hunting and deserves to be used by someone who really appreciates it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle, it's just a budget package and I would rather help someone out than make a few hundred bucks on the used market.

Rifle Details:
Ruger American .30-06, standard out of the box, no modifications
Leupold VX1 with the Leupold Alumina flip covers
Mounted in Warne Rings
Shoots Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded ammo really well - currently zeroed @ 200 yds.
I have about ~30 rounds of un-used ammo I will give with the rifle
I am the original and only owner. It has been well cared for and is in pristine condition.

Ideally I would like this rifle to go to a Veteran or maybe a young kid thats looking to get into hunting but may not have the means, or might need to upgrade his/her current firearm. I just want it to make someone smile that truly needs it. It would be great if it were a forum member, but certainly doesn't have to be.

This is 100% free and I am not looking for anything in return - I don't need any recognition, just a thank you and a handshake.

Please reach out to me if you have any ideas of who this could go to.

Ruger American.jpg

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Its a good thing your doing.
Does Denver have a wounded warrior chapter?

I don't know the laws in Colorado. In Georgia it would be easier to sell it to them for a dollar.
You could provide them with a bill of sale. They could provide you with a signed statement that they are not a felon.

OP
B

I don't know the laws in Colorado. In Georgia it would be easier to sell it to them for a dollar.
You could provide them with a bill of sale. They could provide you with a signed statement that they are not a felon.

I don't know, but thats a great idea! I am going to put Google to good use right now.

OP
B

Sounds like WWP is a no-go, I just called them and the lady told me that they cannot accept firearms as a donation. She suggested that I contact a local VA office.

ericF

WKR
Another option is to talk to the RMEF foundation about donating it to a veteran. Our local chapter up in Fort Collins and also Greeley does a Wounded Warrior hunt where they take a purple heart veteran on a hunt every year. They raise money at the banquets in the live auction and over $15,000 was raised this year at the Ft. Collins banquet. Interestingly enough a couple years ago a Medal of Honor recipient was chosen as the hunter and he had such a good time and was so impressed by the organization that he gave his Medal of Honor to the Greeley banquet to raffle off for the next years purple heart hunt.

Randle

WKR
Another option is to talk to the RMEF foundation about donating it to a veteran. Our local chapter up in Fort Collins and also Greeley does a Wounded Warrior hunt where they take a purple heart veteran on a hunt every year. They raise money at the banquets in the live auction and over $15,000 was raised this year at the Ft. Collins banquet. Interestingly enough a couple years ago a Medal of Honor recipient was chosen as the hunter and he had such a good time and was so impressed by the organization that he gave his Medal of Honor to the Greeley banquet to raffle off for the next years purple heart hunt.
That's cool . Hope someone bought it and gave it back to him.

cdods

FNG
American Heroes in Action

An excellent Non-Profit Veterans organization in northern Colorado is American Heroes in Action. I've personally gone on a trip with them, it was a Waterfowl hunt but they do all types of trips. I'd definitely suggest going through them!