Missing/lost hunters in CO gmu 161

From a veterans group in social media:

*** BOLO (Brighton, CO) ***

we have two veterans missing, Kelly Shutika and Daniel Welsh. They left for a hunting trip on November 2nd and were supposed to return yesterday afternoon. However, no one has been able to contact them since November 2nd. Police and Search and Rescue has been notified. Their last known location was Elk hunting section 161 outside of Steamboat in Jackson County Colorado.

Driving a black 2012 Dodge Ram with Alaska Plates.

If you have information or see them please contact the Brighton Police Department at 303-655-2300.

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Veterans and Alaska plates......I would expect them to be prepared for just about anything. Sure hope they're just stuck in camp out of cell range, or are taking care of a couple animals so they're late.

OP
TheShootist
Veterans and Alaska plates......I would expect them to be prepared for just about anything. Sure hope they're just stuck in camp out of cell range, or are taking care of a couple animals so they're late.

You're right! They were able to get to a place with cell reception and have been located. All ends well!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Awesome. It would have to be at least two days past the last day of the season before my wife would start worrying. She knows I'll hunt to the last minute of legal light on the last day if need be, then add a day or two for packing out an animal and breaking down camp.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Glad their ok. Though a bad situation, it seems like they were prepared. Other then being trapped they had food water and shelter. Waited for good weather and then hiked to a high point.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wish their story included a list of "lessons learned" so it could be a teaching moment for them. I will assume they had no winch or hi-lift jack or even chains?????? They never said "how" they were stuck. On the other hand we never heard from her boyfriend. Men's and women's accounts of these types of things are usually told much differently. I'm more concerned with the logical aspects than the emotional.

Fatcamp

WKR
There is a longer article if you search for it. Not a whole lot of detail though. Slid into a ditch. Dug out twice. I assume no chains, winch, or recovery equipment.

Phaseolus

WKR
I wish their story included a list of "lessons learned" so it could be a teaching moment for them. I will assume they had no winch or hi-lift jack or even chains?????? They never said "how" they were stuck. On the other hand we never heard from her boyfriend. Men's and women's accounts of these types of things are usually told much differently. I'm more concerned with the logical aspects than the emotional.
The Boyfriend was probably too embarrased by being not prepared enough to go on camera. Sounds like they were prepared to survive but not well enough prepared to get out on time.

JWP58

WKR
There is a longer article if you search for it. Not a whole lot of detail though. Slid into a ditch. Dug out twice. I assume no chains, winch, or recovery equipment.

Should every hunter have an expedition vehicle? Or just maybe can things get shitty and you make do with what you have and go on with life? Nope, that's too logical....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Should every hunter have an expedition vehicle? Or just maybe can things get shitty and you make do with what you have and go on with life? Nope, that's too logical....

Winter type hunts in Colorado will teach you real quickly on what you need or what you're lacking. Vehicle and SHTF preparedness is just one of those things. Not unlike taking a 20 degree quilt on a hunt where it drops below zero. Sure.....you can "make do with what you have and go on with life"........maybe. But I doubt you'd try that again the next time.

In every non-archery season elk hunting destination I've ever gone to, chains are not optional. And even with chains, you may very well need a hi-lift jack with a tow chain or a winch. The logical thing would be to prepare for the worst before you head up there. If that takes an expedition vehicle, then so be it. But that's why experience counts for so much. When you experience these types of things, you'll be better prepared the next time. That is.....if you're a logical person. But everyone can learn from other's mistakes or shortcomings, and hopefully be prepared on their hunt.

But ya.......you can make do with whatever you have if you're not prepared, and hope that someone comes along to save you that is prepared. I'm not saying that this is what happened in this scenario, but we don't know what happened because we don't have any details.

Fatcamp

WKR

Well, I can make a pretty good guess on one guy that will have those things before he heads out elk hunting with his girlfriend next year.