Recommendations for soft-side cooler

7Bartman

WKR
I figured this might be the right place to get recommendations for a soft-sided cooler. What I'm specifically looking for is a soft-sided cooler that I can fit in my suitcase and then use on the return trip as a carry-on to keep the meat/fish cool that I'm lucky enough to procure on my hunting/fishing trips. That being said, what I'm not interested in is any high-end (read yeti), over-priced cooler. I just want something that is reliable enough to hold ~ 20-30lbs of meat and/or fish. I'm tired of having a collection of cheap Wal-mart coolers in my basement. I'm looking in the price range of $25-$75. Thanks in advance!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought two polar bear coolers for this exact purpose. Code 5150 gets 50% off when you buy two. Think they were 68$ each

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jfone

FNG
In my opinion, going to be tough in that price range to find something that I would trust with that valuable meat. The Walmart Ozark Trail soft coolers are ok in that price range. Polar Bear and Tourit are on higher end of range. A bit more money gets you into a RTIC which does well for me on short hunting trips, kids sports, travel, etc. I think the value is there in the RTIC to justify the extra money. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I've been using Polar Bear coolers for several years now. They are great for the price. Get them half price as realunlucky states. Buy some as gifts. We've used the 48 pack size as carry-ons for flights from Alaska as well. They are a little big for the overhead bins so don't fill them all the way and they can squeeze in.

Now, fitting in your suitcase might be a challenge but I just use the cooler to carry clothes and gear on the way "up". Coming back, you can mail your clothes or whatever and get it in 20 days no problem while you bring your meat with you.

Last thing, when I bought mine, I believe, and it may have change, but there was one shipping charge. So, I got all of my buddies to go in and I also bought some as gifts. I think I had 12 coolers delivered, mostly the 48 but some 24 and we all split the shipping which made it very affordable.

colonel00

WKR
Oh, I think last year one guy brought back 40-50lbs of fish in a size 48 and still had room to stuff it in the overhead.

Also, pro tip, check that "carry-on" at the gate so you don't even have to mess with the overhead bin. Depending on the flight, they will either give it back to you at your next connection or check it all the way through to your destination. Free checked bag essentially. If the meat is frozen, it will hold just fine.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received a Yeti Hopper 20 as gift. I am not a fan of how it opens, its real PITA to get stuff in and out of it. Quality built, keeps stuff cold, but I would not buy one or recommend one. Perhaps that is why the Yeti 20 is no longer on Yeti's website and the new options open differently....

Thanks for the tips on the Polar Bear Coolers. Going to check those out... However, I really like how the RTIC SoftPak 30 opens. Sure are a LOT of options in coolers these days....

VernAK

WKR
I've been using the Polar Bear Coolers for 15 years bringing Baja fish back to AK
[2 day travel] in mid summer......45 pounds of frozen fish in a size 48. Baggage handlers haven't
destroyed or damaged any of my 12 coolers......some were used to haul fish to Germany without incident.

The 2 for 1 sale is on at this time......I get mine monogrammed as my buddies have all bought similar coolers.

LostArra

WKR
+1 on Polar Bears

When in Alaska I saw a guy who folded his 48's flat just like they are originally shipped. He placed two in a large duffel with his clothes and gear. Then he opened them up and filled with frozen halibut and salmon for the return trips. Worked pretty slick.

RCL

WKR
Just purchased a couple for Christmas gifts.
Thanks for the heads up.

I bought a hopper for that roll. Bomb proof. Keeps stuff cold for longer than I should have the right to expect.

I would echo the pain in the ass opening. If I were buying again I would go with a backpack version or other brand.

colonel00

WKR
Ends 12/20 according the email I got. Looks like the code in my email is 2112

In appreciation of your continued support, we would like to offer you our Holiday 2 for 1 Special on ALL Polar Bear Coolers.
THATS RIGHT - the entire Polar Bear product line is on-sale NOW for you, your family and your friends!

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:
1) Add two or more coolers to your cart (mix & match is fine)
2) Go to the cart and type in coupon code 2112 in the "Promo Code" field
3) The price for all coolers in your cart will be reduced to 50% OFF!

MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
Polar Bear Coolers offers text or monogram embroidery on all NYLON and SOLAR BEAR coolers (except 6-Packs). Simply click the "Customize" button before adding the item to your cart. Whether you choose to add a nickname or initials, a personalized Polar Bear Cooler is the ultimate holiday gift!

SEND US YOUR LOGO!
Are you a business owner or marketing guru? Co-branded Polar Bear Coolers make excellent holiday gifts for employees and customers alike. Simply click here to send us your logo, and receive a layout with pricing within 24-Hours. It's quick, it's easy and it's free!

NO LIMIT ON ORDER QUANTITY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST
SALE ENDS 12/20/18

colonel00

WKR
I'll also add that Polar Bear Coolers was great in helping me with a broken clip. On a trip to Alaska last fall, we had the cooler loaded down pretty heavy. One guy went to grab the cooler and pick it up from the side where the zipper portion clips to the side. Not really meant to bear weight there. Anyway, the clip broke but I contacted them and they sent me a new clip without issue.

tdhanses

WKR
Dang did polar bear really increase their prices or am I just remembering wrong, I thought I bought 2 of the 48pack for $48 a few years ago.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I know that you said no yeti, and I wouldn't have bought it unless it wasn't 60% off last year. Size wise, a 40 can size will fit in the overhead bin. Just leave the zipper cracked open or it will pressurize during the flight making it difficult to get out. I can fit a weeks worth of hunting clothes in mine and then put it in a suitcase. Flying home it will hold just over 50 pounds of frozen and wrapped meat. With all of my hunting clothes and junk back in my suitcase. Any of the soft side coolers will work great, just stay around that 40 can size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RAPTOR

WKR
I know that you said no yeti, and I wouldn't have bought it unless it wasn't 60% off last year. Size wise, a 40 can size will fit in the overhead bin. Just leave the zipper cracked open or it will pressurize during the flight making it difficult to get out. I can fit a weeks worth of hunting clothes in mine and then put it in a suitcase. Flying home it will hold just over 50 pounds of frozen and wrapped meat. With all of my hunting clothes and junk back in my suitcase. Any of the soft side coolers will work great, just stay around that 40 can size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'll echo this, but I use a 30. I use it as my "personal item" as a carry on for binos, fishing reels, basically expensive shit I don't want baggage handlers to break or lose, in addition to my backpack. Then on the way home, that stuff goes in my backpack, and I pack the cooler full of meat/fish and carry it on. Have brined whole turkey in it, used it for tons of shit and it's still perfect. Worth what I spent. Also, have your wife check TJMaxx if she goes...thats where I found mine for almost 50% off.

OP
7Bartman

7Bartman

WKR
Been looking for a good deal online and not finding much. I'm starting to wonder if the 24 will meet my needs vs. the 48. Numerous reviews have said the 48 is too big to count for a carry-on. Any idea how much fish I could fit into a 24 (I'm thinking maybe 20lbs)?

colonel00

WKR
Been looking for a good deal online and not finding much. I'm starting to wonder if the 24 will meet my needs vs. the 48. Numerous reviews have said the 48 is too big to count for a carry-on. Any idea how much fish I could fit into a 24 (I'm thinking maybe 20lbs)?
Just get a 48 and gate check it. Just got back from a trip to Alaska. A 48 will hold an emperor goose, Pacific eider, couple smaller ducks, 2 fox skulls and hide. A 24 will work as a carry on but it's really pretty small. If you have to carry a 48 on, just don't fill it all the way so it compresses.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR
I see polar bear advertising a waterproof model. Any reason to but that model

Tried to use that promo code but it would not work.

Last edited: