Does your wife/girlfriend hunt also?

My wife goes when she draws a tag but she could take it or leave it. There are 2 types if wives that hunt. There is the type that will go along and hunt with you and the type that will go hunting and is capable of doing it mostly alone. My wife is the first type and it is basically like hunting with a child. That is the con of a wife that hunts, sometimes. I still enjoy taking here because its just more time hunting. It kinda sucks when we have the same hunt though.

My wife is my best friend and hunting/fishing buddy. We do almost everything together. She does her part and then some. From scouting to stand setups, helping drive on long trips. Helps skinning, organizing our hunting stuff, making sure we have what we need for a trip. The only negative to the whole deal is I always have to buy two of everything. A very small price to pay for the tremendous enjoyment we have together.

Phaseolus

WKR
My Wife grew up hunting, fishing and camping. AJ hiked The Colorado Trail end to end just before we met. She took her first blackpowder bull elk after we were married 20 odd years ago. She gave up hunting a few years and gave most of her firearms to Nephews. It’s a natural progression with her and I am ok with that. She will go along on some of my nhunts as l9ng as they are fair weather days. i am fine with whatever
She decides to do.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No. It's a little odd. My wife works out 5-6 days a week, lifts weights and runs a few miles each workout day. I don't do anything special all year except maybe some weight lifting but no cardio at all. She gives me grief about not staying in shape, but as soon as we try to go hiking together in the mountains.....she's the one that's lagging all the time and begging me to stop. My goodness.....we barely left camp, suck it up.

KJH

WKR
My wife really likes to pheasant hunt, but doesn't do it that often. Usually once or twice a year. She loves being outside and is a 1000% supporter of me hunting for weeks on end sometimes.

chasewild

WKR
My wife is a new hunter, and she's gone at it with vigor and here's what I've learned.

1. If hunting is your identity, make sure you draw some lines early. Like, "Hey, I hunt mule deer alone ever year. Sorry, that's for me, alone, like, you can't come...but I still love you."

2. Decision making now requires more vocal explanation than hunting alone did (duh...but that was hard for me to grasp). In my head, I have everything solid, because it's just there, but she didn't have that experience, so now I have to use WORDS to explain WTF I'm thinking....sometimes that's impossible.

3. Risk assessment is a thing (which is related to words). I now have to explain that we don't need to leave the truck with 12 liters of water because there is PROBABLY water at the top, or that a scrambly-shale slide will be "totally fine" with a load of meat....the response "we'll just figure it out" will not suffice.

4. She gets cold. A good sleeping bag is essential. Good puffy is essential. Good boots are essential.

5. Share the optics and pictures mean she can relive the hunt later. My take on a hunt is "be humble and hunt". My wifes take is "this is the greatest day ever and we need to document the shit out of it." Both can coexist.

6. She has a different perspective on everything. And its a beautiful thing to hear her use new words, express new emotions, and provide a new narrative on hunting.

woodson

FNG
My wife will hunt upland birds (probably as interested in seeing the dogs work as shooting) and loves to fly fish.

Fly fishing has been a great addition for us because you can add 1 day of fly fishing to any trip, and we have in places like Alberta, British Columbia, the Florida Keys, Mexico, Colorado, Yellowstone, North Carolina, California... you get the point. No way I would have gotten to fish with great guides or locals at this many places without having this commonality that we share. When we plan a trip, she now asks what species we are going to catch for the first time.

She doesn't love back country camping on foot, but she loves to paddle and cycle and we have also done some great canoe/camp trips and road bike trips with camping interspersed.

I would live in my 1 man tent if I could, but she may never find enjoyment in that and that's okay.

I met my girlfriend as a result of hunting. We love being outside together, hunting, horse riding, hiking, camping, etc. It's all good. I've had girlfriends in the past who haven't enjoyed it anywhere near as much. I tried to compromise by doing it less or doing other things, but at the end of the day, this is who I am. I'm lucky I found someone who suits me perfectly.

Cons - Costs more money I guess, but that's a given. I also enjoy my 'me' time so we don't hunt together every time we go out. Being in Australia though means hunting year-round so it's not like we have to cram a lot of hunting into limited seasons like some of you have to over in the states.

Pros - Everything. Girlfriend time and hunting time are the same thing. We don't force it. We genuinely love being out there together. It also means I get more toys to play with, like when she buys rifles I get to shoot them, too.

MbsHl7Im.jpg

My wife drew a Utah moose tag this year and we had a great time on the hunt! I was more stressed about this hunt than any other I've been on, but it was well worth it.

oldgoat

WKR
Pro- I get lucky even if I don't shoot anything! Pro-she gets why I hunt and doesn't begrudge me going when her arthritis is bad and she only elk hunts and small game, so I get my alone time deer hunting the rest of the fall and winter, she also gets why I need good gear! I don't have any cons to list!

Azone

WKR
Long story short, some of the best times I have ever had hunting have been with my wife. She grew up hunting with her father and loves being in the mountains with me. She is not as hardcore as me and my hunting buddy but she can hold her own pretty damn well. With that being said though there is nothing that destroys an outing faster than home drama spilling over into a hunt. We are both stubborn and have a type A personality so it can get really sporty very quick with the smart ass comments and bickering. So while having the significant other tag along can be awesome at times there have also been times where hunts have been cut short due to her not wanting to go any further or arguing. If there is tension in the air I fly solo or with the guys, if everything is running smoothly she is more than welcome.

Wrench

WKR
FB_IMG_1540209217253.jpg

FB_IMG_1540209264947.jpg

FB_IMG_1540209232026.jpg

I scouted some little pockets that she'd have decent opportunity on and worked as a guide. She had a blast and broke in on a great first buck success.

Last year I skimped on her gear and we hunted in the snow and she didn't have much fun. Now she's geared up and enjoying it to the max.

Wrench

WKR
Notice that hot coffee and meals.....must have a warm meal and happy wife.

oldgoat

WKR
View attachment 81985

View attachment 81986

View attachment 81987

I scouted some little pockets that she'd have decent opportunity on and worked as a guide. She had a blast and broke in on a great first buck success.

Last year I skimped on her gear and we hunted in the snow and she didn't have much fun. Now she's geared up and enjoying it to the max.

Great point^^^ if they are taking it seriously, buy them as good or better gear than yours! Good clothes, proper good fitting footwear and a quality well fitting pack make all the difference! We all know that's true for us but I think it's even a greater difference for them, becomes an equalizer of sorts!

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Funny I was reading this thread, getting ready to go light the grill and my wife hollered that there is a huge flock of trees ducks coming up from the marsh to roost in our woods. She grew up fishing and we fish together quite a bit, not as often now as the kids are getting older and doing more activities. She really likes to duck hunt and frankly a better shot than I am. I have seen her triple on teal and widgon more than once. She is supportive of me going out west each season due to the fact she would rather eat wild game than anything from the store. I think she will start hunting deer and hogs with me this season. The only con I can think of is double the gear and the cost, but it's worth it to me that she has top shelf equipment to use and not a bunch of stuff that she has to "make work" for her.
414fc669e93522a8ffeefdd30f14d727.jpg
c7196a80e9f6875e88af1b00fe76737c.jpg
7dd27a8fb6ee7619c8b49f9f3a92736f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Pros are being able to share it all together, as mentioned be sure to plan some trips other than hunting.

Flor%20collage_zpseks56yhn.jpg