Best gifts for hunter hubby – help a wife out!

Hi all – uneducated hunter’s wife asking for help with hubby’s birthday gift. It's his 40th, so it needs to be extra great. Then Christmas is 10 days later, so double whammy!

We just moved onto some land in NC and he is loving his new pastime of hunting on our land. He doesn’t have any nice gear (clothing-wise) yet, so I want to invest in a nice pair of pants and a few other items.

He’s tall (6’4”), so pant and sleeve length are often an issue. After reading some of really helpful threads in this forum (thank you!), I have chosen the KUIU Attack pants. They aren’t traditional camo, so what color would you go for – digital camo? Green? Other?

Also, please direct me to other things I can get for him that you love when hunting. Background: The weather is nowhere near where we grew up in the North (Dakota), but still gets cold and wet, so help staying warm and dry is good.

Thanks!!

If he is whitetail hunting, I’d probably look at a pair of wool trousers. Kuiu year is aimed at mountain hunting. Which means very little of it is quiet enough to treestand Hunt whitetails. Just trying to help and by no means knocking your choice. Anything g polyester and or wool based would be ideal.

Jackets need to be bought using g the same principals to determine the best choices. You want quiet and warm. Get those two pieces right, and the under garments and base layers are a dime a dozen. As long as they fit and are synthetic or wool, they’ll work great. Taylor to his needs concerning material weight. A good pair of bibs are priceless for treestand hunting as well when the temps drop.

Whitetail hunting g on the back forty is easy to outfit for. Bulk sucks. But, weight is really if no co sequence. So, wool works great. So do insulated polyester coats.

Then you get to what I consider invaluable. Vests. Most any will do. As long as they are not cotton.

If he intends to go elk hunting during bow season out west, Kuiu and others offer great options. Signs and first lite offers a whitetail line too. But, it’s spend and hunting on the back forty where the hikes and drags are short, does not require the fit and function these clothes are built for.

Good luck and God Bless

Hunters wife...best login ever! Wow...just signing up on rokslide and looking through the forums would be the best 40th birthday present. You are showing an interest in his passion and that is really special. Thank you for going the extra mile...I couldn't imagine my wife finding this site...yet alone posting a question about what she should get me for a present. Amazing!

If you need to purchase something for him I would go with wool bibs...King of the Mountain is high quality and I really love their stuff. I would assume they are still in business but the stuff I have from them is very old...but bulletproof!

woodson

FNG
The Sitka (or First Lite or KUIU) Catalog and Gift Certificate plan above is really an excellent idea. Pick a $$ number that you think would allow him to get a few nice pieces to start his gear collection. He will use those items forever. He may have different aesthetic or functionality ideas than what we might guess on here, so my vote would be let him decide. Doesn't seem thoughtful, I know, but it really is nice to be given the choice to pick exactly what you want in this sort of gear.

Trial153

WKR
I would pick out one peice from sitka to start him off if he primarily a whitetail hunter. ( here are few idea straus vest, core heavy weight hoody or zip up, equinox hoody) Then if your budget allows get him a generic GF and catalog. Make a list of several online retailers that sell sitka at a bit of a discount vs the sitka retail site so the .key goes further.

Here are few off the top of my head.
Bean outdoors
One shot gear
Black ovis
Mounatin archery

Come on guys give up a few more places am missing.

OP
H
Thanks, everyone!

Gents - Thanks for your direction, suggestions, education and encouragement! I think I'll go with the idea to get him a starter piece of some sort along with a gift card and catalog. I'm loving the education I get here. This community is fantastic. Thanks so much!

Gents - Thanks for your direction, suggestions, education and encouragement! I think I'll go with the idea to get him a starter piece of some sort along with a gift card and catalog. I'm loving the education I get here. This community is fantastic. Thanks so much!

My buddy's wife asked me what she should get him for a 10th anniversary gift a few years back...I told her Sitka Fanatic bibs. Which I knew he needed and wanted but never pulled the trigger on them.

She never wrapped the bibs...put JUST the bibs on and walked out to show him...he was VERY happy.

Hope you have a great holiday season and thank you very much for showing such an interest in your husband's passion. You are a fantastic wife!!

You got me thinking...should I log onto "Scary mommy.com" or pintrist or something else and do something similar for my wife? You got me thinking...doubt I will actually follow through and do it though! haha

Btaylor

WKR
Since you guys guys just moved there and it is a mile stone birthday if you will. Another thought is check out Century Farm Orchards and buy a couple apple trees for the new property. David is super guy to talk to and they are there in NC. I have bought apple stock from there and was very happy with the whole experience. This would an inexpensive add on to the catalog and gift card idea which I think is spot on.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about a gift card to a retailer that has more than just clothing? Blackovis for example.

AKBorn

WKR
I don’t want to rain on the gift parade for hubby – but you guys just bought a nice piece of land! While Sitka gear is praised by many, their clothes are on the HIGH cost end of hunting clothing. To put it in perspective, I have been hunting for over 40 years, and have been fortunate enough to shoot many whitetail deer, a bunch of caribou, a moose, a wolf, and a ton of different small game; I have never owned anything from Sitka, and likely never will. Each piece of hunting clothing I have purchased has cost $55 or less, with the exception of a puffy jacket with hood which cost less than $100.

Before you pull the trigger on Sitka, check out sites like Sierra Trading Post that offer quality outdoor clothing at a very reasonable price (most of my clothes have come from there, and have been tested in various weather conditions in Alaska, Maryland, and other locales). They also offer great deals on outdoor boots.

Enjoy your new land, and I’m sure your hubby will be thrilled with whatever you give him.

Trial153

WKR
Whenever someone starts with I dont want to rain on your parade. Expect them to rain on your parade.

Does he have a smoker,can't have deer without a smoker.As far as clothing,look outside and notice the colors.I purchased all new camo clothing for a week long hunt.Purchased all green camo,when I arrived in camp all the shrubbery and pine needles were brown.I stuck out like a sore thumb.Ended up wearing levis and a flannel shirt.:cool:

UtahJimmy

WKR
As was pointed out earlier, the high end clothing isn't necessary for the style of hunting that he will be doing. While it is cool to have the Cadillac clothing, I'm more about value.

Personally I'd rather get a bunch of gear and stay under budget (unless budget isn't an issue) versus getting one (dare I say overpriced) sitka item. Just my two cents.

I like the treestand or camera idea. A feeder if legal, salt licks, the apple tree is awesome, maybe some oak trees. A 4 wheeler if you don't have one. If you do have one, accessories for tilling or a small trailer for moving around supplies. Something he'll use and always be reminded of how amazing you are for supporting him!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WKR
Might consider trying to find an Ingram knife. First class and a very memorable gift. Just a thought. All the others above all have merit.

OP
H
Thanks for the great idea! You should totally check out your wife's Pinterest or Facebook pages (if that's something she has) to learn about her passions and interests. My suggestion is to take the kids somewhere overnight, book her a massage or hire a cleaning lady, but that's just my list :)