First European Mount

Maceration will take care of everything from nasal cavity to the tough cartilage on the posterior side of the skull. I finally picked up an electric roaster a couple years ago. Set it and forget in the garage at about 150 degrees for about a week. No reason to add anything to the water initially. I will usually change out the water every couple of days. After about day 3 most of the large chunks will fall off. After a week the skull will be clean including the inside of the nasal cavity. Just run it under the faucet and everything will wash out.

You can be done at that step or degrease it next. Degreasing is the same way. I do add some dawn to the water in the roaster and let it sit in warm water for several weeks. Change water weekly. I’ve also just set them in dawn water in 5 gallon buckets if the temperature is warm. All the grease is removed from the skull when no more oil is visible on top of the water after a week of soaking.

I just started this way a couple year ago and have had no problem with grizz, black bears, mtn. goat, and caribou. The caribou was tricky. Need to tie the antlers up to the ceiling but it worked. Obviously would need something different for elk and moose. Moose are such a pain that I just took my most recent to a guy in town to do it for a few hundred bucks.

I no longer boil skulls. It worked OK for when I used to do whitetails and mulies that I just hung in the shop. I still have shoe boxes with mt. lion, fisher, and bobcat skulls that I need to put together after ruining in boiling water. I’ve also boiled a moose to the point of somehow calcifying the nasal cartilage. All very disappointing lessons.

None of this is gospel and try at your own risk, its just what works for me. There are numerous better ways. One day I will have a large enough shop to start a beetle colony. I still think that this the ideal method.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
One day I will have a large enough shop to start a beetle colony. I still think that this the ideal method.

When you do this, start your colony in the winter. You'll figure out real quick what they can and can't climb out of. Turns out they can scale an extension cord like it's an escalator. I have the heat off in my shop and they don't live long in the cold once they've escaped their enclosure thankfully.

I like the idea of the electric roaster for macerating. My only problem now is that it's getting colder up here in ND, and I don't have a detached garage or other outbuilding. Has anyone successfully done this outside during the winter months? Obviously, I'd need a submersible heater that's capable of keeping the water warm enough. A simple aquarium heater won't be able to maintain that kind of heat. Is the smell really so horrible that I won't want to do it in an attached garage? I think I know the answer, and really don't want to piss off the wife....

Any ideas for using this process outside during the cold winter months? It's still above 0 here, but that won't last much longer.

So here's another thought....what about an old chest freezer with one or two 1500 watt water heater elements wired in with a thermostat to control the temp? Thoughts......and go!

I like the idea of the electric roaster for macerating. My only problem now is that it's getting colder up here in ND, and I don't have a detached garage or other outbuilding. Has anyone successfully done this outside during the winter months? Obviously, I'd need a submersible heater that's capable of keeping the water warm enough. A simple aquarium heater won't be able to maintain that kind of heat. Is the smell really so horrible that I won't want to do it in an attached garage? I think I know the answer, and really don't want to piss off the wife....

Any ideas for using this process outside during the cold winter months? It's still above 0 here, but that won't last much longer.

A big horse tank heater in a smallish tank? Mine keeps a 50 gal tank lukewarm down to about 0. I imagine if you put it in a smaller tank it might be warm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR

Explore all other options besides your attached garage. You will not survive the wife, trust me. I like smaller tanks so that I can empty them easier.

At present I have 4 heads in buckets. The water temp is the driving force on getting them done. 1 of my tank heaters, all the same model and brand, must run hotter. That head was completely clean and is degreasing after just 7 days. Another one will be done in 2 more days. The other two are taking longer. I'll be adding tank heaters to those two it looks like. Water temp is key. Keep it up around 85-90 and it goes fast.

Explore all other options besides your attached garage. You will not survive the wife, trust me. I like smaller tanks so that I can empty them easier.

At present I have 4 heads in buckets. The water temp is the driving force on getting them done. 1 of my tank heaters, all the same model and brand, must run hotter. That head was completely clean and is degreasing after just 7 days. Another one will be done in 2 more days. The other two are taking longer. I'll be adding tank heaters to those two it looks like. Water temp is key. Keep it up around 85-90 and it goes fast.

Can you post a link to the tank heaters that you're using? Also, what are the outside temperatures in your area? We're in the low teens to low 20s right now, so I need to make sure I've got enough wattage to keep the water warm.

Last edited:

WKR
ND, Been using these.
Mylivell Aquarium Heater 100 W Submersible Fish Tank Water Heater Thermostat
Mylivell Aquarium Heater 100 W Submersible Fish Tank Water Heater Thermostat
In Stock
Free Shipping for Prime Members
This is a gift This is a gift Learn more

$11.99

Our temps have been 12-24 at night. Mine are in an uninsulated and unheated barn. So thinking that is what it gets to at night in there. Now I am thinking an old cooler might work better. Could probably go with 3-4 heaters and 2-3 heads in it at a time. May give that a run. Got a few more to do this year and temps keep dropping.

WKR

Those would concern me due to high temps. I'd not want the water over 90-95. In that range or slightly under, these heads will be done and totally clean in 9 days, maybe less. Then degrease and whiten.

So on the cooler option, thinking drape black plastic over the water and around the horn bases. Then put a blanket or towels on that. Have done that with the buckets and it helps a bit.

Those would concern me due to high temps. I'd not want the water over 90-95. In that range or slightly under, these heads will be done and totally clean in 9 days, maybe less. Then degrease and whiten.

So on the cooler option, thinking drape black plastic over the water and around the horn bases. Then put a blanket or towels on that. Have done that with the buckets and it helps a bit.

I wouldn't use that large of an element for just one head. It would likely be in a 50 gallon tote containing 3-4 heads. So may 15-20 gallons of water for that one element.

What type of buckets are you using?

WKR
I just use the orange home depot buckets. Take an old moving blanket, fold it up and wrap around 2 buckets. Then bungee around top to hold close. Seems to help.

great job it looks good i just bury mine and let all the soil microbes do the work and it doesn't stink or ruin a pot