Getting away from satellite tv?

robtattoo

WKR
For the first time in 9½ years, I now have a reliable internet provider at the house. Up until now, all I've had is my cellphone & things like Netflix, Prime tv etc... we're concepts I wasn't able to appreciate.

However, I'm now able to stream stuff & do the whole internet tv deal & I was wondering:

How many of you have made the switch away from Direct tv & gone totally digital? Is there anything you miss? Any regrets?

I'm thinking I could save myself $200+ a month, but as yet I'm not familiar enough with Netflix et al to know what's really going on/how to use it properly.

tdhanses

WKR
I dropped cable/sat tv about a year ago. I have Hulu free with my phone service, Netflix, Amazon and DirecTv Now. I can stream all to my tv or just watch the service on my phone. Much much more convenient to not be locked down to only having your services available within your house.

Wow though you pay $200 a month for sat tv? The DirecTv Now online streaming costs me $45 and I have HBO. Both Netflix and Amazon are dirt cheap.

i have not watched tv in years,i find it totally repulsive. all we do in our house is netflix and then you will realize tv is just not important in your life.
enjoy the saved money

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might look into roku tv. My hunting partner totally switched over and loves it. You can still purchase about any channel you loved on your cable package

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
We cut the cord a couple years ago. There are a few hunting shows I miss, but everything else is available through various streaming services or YouTube. Saving that $100+ a month sure is nice!

CorbLand

WKR
The only TV I have had in 8 years is when I lived in apartments that included it. Other than that I have used internet based ones. I have amazon prime and just signed up for HULU as they were running a deal for a $1 a month for a year. That may still be going on, its cheap and so far I have liked it. I bought an old XBOX 360 to hook to my TV and can run Prime, HULU and YouTube through it. I have never felt like I didnt have any choices of what to watch and it all cost me less than a $100 a year.

vanish

WKR
We only use Amazon Prime and YouTube in our house. We use Amazon Prime for the free shipping, so being able to stream was just a bonus. We either binge watch TV shows on Prime ( where you watch the whole series in a row ) or follow niche stuff on YouTube (like Randy Newberg, The Hunting Public, BRO ).

You watch what you want when you want to, or you find something more productive to do.

EastMT

WKR
We have cut the cord altogether. No internet, no cable for years. The phones do most of what we need, can run a hotspot on the phone if we absolutely need to use a laptop. Extra $3000 a year for retirement( by retirement I mean hunting trips)

Use amazon prime tv, bought a nice digital antenna, get 9-10 channels depending on the weather hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
We have cut the cord altogether. No internet, no cable for years. The phones do most of what we need, can run a hotspot on the phone if we absolutely need to use a laptop. Extra $3000 a year for retirement( by retirement I mean hunting trips)

Use amazon prime tv, bought a nice digital antenna, get 9-10 channels depending on the weather hahaha.

All we had growing up was an antenna. Good times climbing in the attic to move it so we could get a specific channel.

efnm

WKR
If you need TV shows or football games, I suggest checking out YouTube TV. I'm on a friend's plan and it solves all of my occasional needs.

13 years since I've had a dish or cable. I hated paying to not watch TV. Now because of kids we have Netflix, Amazon prime and a antenna. I have saved tons of cash probably enough for a fully guided elk hunt to New Mexico. I wonder where that money went. Lol

cnelk

WKR
To get the most channels from your antenna, go to TV Fool

Enter your address and antenna height
TV Fool It will give you the best direction and distance to 'Over The Air' digital TV channels

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
Over the air Digital TV is surprisingly good where we live down in a ravine. Once the trees leaf out in the spring that may change. Local channels in HD at the cost of the antenna is just fine.

We did have to change our internet to unlimited data to accommodate the usage. But dropping cable TV covered the cost difference.

Cutting the cord only presents an issue for visitors that "have" to watch their TV stuff. Sorry grandpa, no Fox News for you to scream at all day and night. Sorry NFL junkie on thanksgiving, you are going to have to talk to the rest of us.

We decided to go with Sling TV at first and then Hulu had a $0.99/month for a year deal this last weekend. Not sure how the viewing will pan out between the two.

bobr1

WKR
I haven't had cable or satellite for at least 6 years. We bought a smaller TLC roku tv for like $130 a few years ago. Pretty awesome little setup and typically just watch netflix, amazon prime, youtube and AMC. But as others have said you can add more channels some are free and some cost money.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
i have not watched tv in years,i find it totally repulsive. all we do in our house is netflix and then you will realize tv is just not important in your life.

What do you watch Netflix on if you have no TV?

I ditched Direct TV a year ago when they raised their rates again. We now have Sling, which is average at best. I hate waiting for channels to come up via the internet. But worse than that is it going on cruise control whenever it feels like it. We'll be watching a movie and it suddenly goes to a new screen and say "Preparing recommendations for you"..........or "I'm sorry I didn't get that". What the heck??? Then I have to start it all over, let it load up, anf then go back to where we were in the movie. That happens at least 3-4 times a day. But it's also not $100/month. I guess you get what you pay for. I really miss the Direct TV channel guide.

jspradley

WKR
Cut the cord!!!

I haven't had TV service the entire time I've lived at home and haven't missed it one bit.

Think about what you can do with an extra $200 per month and all that time saved not watching the idiot box!!

Billinsd

WKR
Netflix is fantastic, best $11.99 a month I ever spent for cable by far!!!!

Last edited:

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
We use YouTube TV along with Netflix and Hulu. Save about $100/month on cable. I still get live sports and local programming.

Jason

One person mentioned Sling and it’s pretty legit too. They also get both sportsman’s and outdoor channel which is what convinced me to sign up. We also have the Netflix and i steal amazon tv from my moms account. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the digital offerings out there

Kilboars

WKR
I've dropped my cable to the lowest amount possible and only get Netflix or PrimeTV when it's a free offer.

5000 channels and nothings on. Try to watch movies but 9 time out of 10 I end up pissed I wastes the time to watch it.
To many greats reads on real events to stare at the boob tube. IMO