Road Kill and my Frustrations

Bulldawg

WKR
So this morning before the sun comes up, I drive up on a deer that had just been hit by a car outside of Minneapolis but in the country. Deers not dead, so I stop and as I’m about to pull it off the road it runs into the ditch. I call dispatch and ask if I can shoot it because it’s got broken legs and crap and they say no there is a officer en route that will but I can have the deer if I want it. Well why not I got a deer hanging I’ll just hang it up and clean them all at once.

Cop shows up, and finds the deer as it dragged itself just inside the wood line. It’s in a state park all woods. He then says he’s not going to shoot it, going to “let nature take its course”. Jesus dude come on! I got a gun I’ll shoot it, nah that’s not happening. He says I can go cut it’s throat if I want, but I’m on the way to the gym and don’t have a knife on me and I can’t use his, ok great. I didn’t go into the woods because I didn’t need to then but the cop said it was laying there dead, I said I would run home get my truck and my kill kit basically and come back to cut the deer up he said no problem. It’s 10 degrees here now and I’m not worried about spoilage so I don’t rush back right away but when I get here the damn deer is still alive! It’s been 2 hours since it had been hit and it was just laying here alive, can’t run just freaking misery.

I’m not a bleeding heart and have seen a lot of things die but do you know how long it takes for a deer to die from a cut throat? Cause I’m still waiting. And to think this could all be avoided if he would just shoot once, or let me shoot and he wouldn’t have to do the paperwork.

I’m glad I came back for the deer because I almost didn’t, and this thing would sit here all day alive.

I don’t get it, it drives me nuts, just shoot the thing and be done with it.

Now I gotta cut this deer up and see if there is anything usable on it.

Roadkill, quarter or gut and hang???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate anything to suffer. Good job. Meat should probably be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Probably didn't want to A. Write a report on it / B. Contact his supervisor, which would probably have to contact his supervisor for notification (you may not be aware, but sgt's and LT's can make anything a big deal, depending on the person)

Yes believe it or not Police agencies are just like any other form of employment. There are great, good, avg, and terrible examples in every line of work, Policing is no different. Pretty simple concept.

Murdy

WKR
You don't have to be a bleeding heart to care about an animal suffering needlessly -- we all should. I can't imagine there'd be any problem with the meat.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin, operating under similar rules concerning road kill. My uncle's advice was tire iron to the head before you call the cops.

jspradley

WKR
Good on you for caring!

A tire iron to the noggin' would work just as well as slitting its throat too... and less messy.

There should at the very least be some salvagable meat on there, especially since it wasn't completely splatters

I live on a very high roadkill area in SW Colorado. I've cut up probably 8 deer this year alone and missed 3 times that many, easily. I've only had one that needed to be shot asap and a State Patrol ended up doing it because there was an audience by then and he didn't want to be liable for anything if I did it. I was planning on using a 22, up close, in the head...He shot it twice in the face with 12ga slugs.:confused:... I've asked several of the local cops and they all hesitantly say "yes, go ahead, if you need to".

As far as your question: I only do the roadkills gutless, and asap. There's always bloodshot meat that needs to be cut out and can be pretty bad. I got one last night that had stomach contents pushed into the one of the backstraps! Didn't get much off that one, but it's not in front of my house anymore and we got a little more free venison... Definitely worth the effort and good on you for being concerned for the dying deer.

I don’t get it, it drives me nuts, just shoot the thing and be done with it.

In 2018 a local deputy (assume deputy if it was out in the country) was apprehensive about pulling out a firearm and using it? Especially when its not imperative to public safety? Honestly I don't blame him and it even makes more sense if it was around a large metro area like Minneapolis with a nearby park. I also would tend to side with him on not giving the green light to someone else to shoot it. While you and your friends are familiar and understand your competence with a firearm you're essentially asking a public safety officer to give someone he's never met the green light to discharge a firearm (by the sounds of it now) inside a state or county park near a metro area..... I know I'd be nervous if I were him.

I'm not trying to play devils advocate here but in a past profession, I've been in his shoes and there's more running through his head than yours. While an animal suffering is not a pleasant thing to watch, it's sometimes easier to allow it to happen than to have that thing run through a mobile home park with two legs blown off and dozens of people watching while youre running around with an AR15 trying to finally dispatch it (true story) and phone cameras videoing everything. Truth is unless you hit it, you don't know exactly how injured that thing is until you punch a hole in it and it decides to get up and run 1/2 mile (saw that once to). Crap like that can make the 5:00 news in a metro area.....

Good on you for salvaging what you could though.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
So I’m not near any metro areas and the park that we were on the border of is large and they do hunts there every couple years. I know why he didn’t let me shoot it, but come on, shooting a deer? They should be able to streamline that and say yeah no big deal no paperwork needed.

I just think he was worried he’d embarrass himself and miss haha!

It took a long ass time for that deer to die with the throat cut and got blood all over my gym shoes lol. But when i quartered her out I got a front, hind, and the back straps also got the sirloin from the bad side. This was a yearling deer so it wasn’t much meat but I can get a pretty sweet smoked ham out of it.

I wasn’t too particular since it wasn’t a deer I shot so there was probably some meat I could have gotten but I didn’t have much time and I got some.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not a bleeding heart and have seen a lot of things die but do you know how long it takes for a deer to die from a cut throat? Cause I’m still waiting.

Its not like the movies, slice/drop... If you only get the wind pipe it takes a little while too. Make sure to actually cut deep to the spine and around on the sides to open up the veins.

I wasn’t too particular since it wasn’t a deer I shot so there was probably some meat I could have gotten but I didn’t have much time and I got some.

That's what we figure too. I feel bad sometimes, not getting every little piece but it seems like it's always late at night when I don't want to do it, and it's tough cutting around damaged areas but even if all I get is backstraps or one rear, it's better than seeing/smelling it rot in front of the house. BTW, I didn't notice your location till now...Howdy neighbor!

kicker338

WKR
This thread brings up an interesting subject about road kills and especially states that do not allow you to salvage them. When I lived in Ca. it was against the law to salvage them. The only reason I ever got from a warden was, if they allowed that everyone would be running into deer just to get the meat or horns, yep everyone would be crashing their $50,000 truck or car for that LOL.

This thread brings up an interesting subject about road kills and especially states that do not allow you to salvage them. When I lived in Ca. it was against the law to salvage them. The only reason I ever got from a warden was, if they allowed that everyone would be running into deer just to get the meat or horns, yep everyone would be crashing their $50,000 truck or car for that LOL.

I heard a story the other day from a local sheriff. He was told that, in another area, they were catching guys carrying around a bucket full of broken plastic, mirrors, grill parts, etc. They'd poach a deer near the road, throw the parts all over the road, then call it in for a permit and say they had to put it down....

davsco

WKR
it's a real shame that PC, or stuff along those lines, keeps someone (or is used by someone as an excuse) from humanely dispatching a wounded animal. pull out your friggin' firearm and shoot it and deal with the consequences later.

isu22andy

WKR
You should of just ran home got the .22 pistol capped it threw it in the truck and got the hell out of there all within 5 minutes. No one would of known the wiser. Cops an idiot and didnt want to do anything about it or get his shoes snowy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We have deer all over the neighborhood that have been hit by cars at one time or another. They just keep limping around and seem to do OK.

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
So,,, last night on the way home,,,

I come across a couple cars pulled over, and a spike whitetail on the yellow lines. Rear legs not moving, but he's trying to get up with his fronts and bleating. I stop. Check on the occupants of the vehicles, they're ok. Go back to the spike and drag him off to the shoulder of the road, still bleating. (this is on a rural, but very busy road in upstate NY)

Trying to decide what to do, (shoot him or cut his throat?) ask the lady who hit the deer if the cops are on the way, she responds yes. Meanwhile this little guy has managed to pull himself off the road shoulder into the brush. Decided "F this" (rifle was in the truck from hunting the morning) so I shoot the deer & wait for the cops to show up. (another 20 min) Figure I'll take my licks if I have to for the (a few) violations that just occurred.

State Police show up, seemed to be relieved they didn't have to shoot it, and couldn't care less that I did. They take care of paperwork for the lady's insurance, and issue me a possession tag.

I took him home and gutted, hung him. Got the heart, liver and tenderloins out. Backstraps, and 2 quarters look to be uninjured. At the very least he'll make several pounds of great sausage.

This may be obvious to more experienced guys, but, having shot a couple vehicle injured deer now I'll offer up the tip that typical hunting shots are not the way to go. A neck shot is much more humane & quick. With that said, I like the tire iron idea much better, as it's a lot less stressful than waiting to see if you're going to get strung up.

Good on you OP for doing the right thing and helping that deer out and salvaging what you can. It's not the easy way, that's for sure.

jspradley

WKR

Same way in TX, you can't legally possess any portion of a roadkilled whitetail deer, for the same excuses.

I know folks who have "gotten the OK" from a game warden but it's still illegal and I suspect that OK would be worth a whole lot of nothing if another game warden game along...

With all that said i'd probably Scoop, Sear, and Shutup if I came across a roadkilled whitetail in good condition... :D

jspradley

WKR
I heard a story the other day from a local sheriff. He was told that, in another area, they were catching guys carrying around a bucket full of broken plastic, mirrors, grill parts, etc. They'd poach a deer near the road, throw the parts all over the road, then call it in for a permit and say they had to put it down....

A game warden who couldn't tell the difference between a deer that had been hit bit a car and one that had been shot isn't worth his salary...

A game warden who couldn't tell the difference between a deer that had been hit bit a car and one that had been shot isn't worth his salary...

Supposedly that's part of the reason why they took away the ability to write roadkill permits from most other agencies and now you have to go through CPW. I've gotten one from a State Patrol and another from a Sheriff, but most just give you a case number and force you to go to the CPW office in the AM.