Meat Freezer

Mtnboy

WKR
I'm about to drop some $$$ on a nice upright freezer. 21 cu ft

Any features I should specifically look for or stay away from?

Any brands you've had bad luck with?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

been having good luck with lowes, get an extended warranty and you will never have to use it.....good so far anyway

UtahJimmy

WKR
Biggest thing is don't get a frost free. Manual defrost is the way to go. Frost free will not keep your food in deep freeze all the time. It shuts off daily to allow the temp to rise near freezing. This cycle results in a lot of wasted energy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Excellent.

Just the kind if info I was looking for.

Upright are easier to find things, but chest freezers generally keep it colder. Also, if a door is left cracked, a chest freezer will be safer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
That makes sense for sure.

I have a small chest and a small upright right now.

Going with 1 big upright is partly because it makes the most sense with our garage layout and will let us use quite a bit of space more efficiently.

Leaving a door cracked is definitely a concern, I might attach the key to the door with some string and have a strict 'keep it locked' policy.

Leaving a door cracked is definitely a concern, I might attach the key to the door with some string and have a strict 'keep it locked' policy.

That's a good policy, especially if you have kids. Also, consider an alarm that plugs into an outlet. At least if you lose power you'll know.

Agross

WKR
Biggest thing is don't get a frost free. Manual defrost is the way to go. Frost free will not keep your food in deep freeze all the time. It shuts off daily to allow the temp to rise near freezing. This cycle results in a lot of wasted energy.

This. I always had a big chest freezer. I refused to like the idea of the upright freezer. They just didn't seem like they would hold as much to me. Then all my buddies convinced me how great they were. So I bought a big upright, and love it. I wish I would've made the switch a lot sooner. So much easier. We went with the biggest one they had in the kenmore line . I knew Sears had a good sale on them a couple times a year. Just make sure you shut the door tight. My daughter left it open one day and it was a hot humid day and we had the freezer in our garage at the time. Needless to say it needed to be defrosted. Other than that the freezer has been great.

gwl79902

WKR
I have 2 chest freezers now but one is very old. I am planning to up grade one to an upright. I use milk creates in my freezers to help with organization.

ORHunter

WKR
Another advantage to a deep chest freezer is the ability to put heads/antlers in there after a hunt that you can skin out later.

With that said I'll probably go to an upright in the future for the eaze of organization.

Grumman

WKR
I have an older upright. If I was buying an upright again I would get one with an external temperature display and locking door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a GE turbo freeze 17.3 that is frost free and was pretty pumped about it but this is a bit of a buzz kill. Locking door, alarm, digitial temp control and display on door are all nice features.

The space requirement differences between this and a comparable chest freezer were huge.

Speaking of alarms, mine went off sometime this morning between 3-6am. Rain plus xmas decorations.

As for baskets, I use cloth cubes that are made for those cube shelves. I can fit them 2 deep and 3 wide. I could stack them as well not I don't. Not as strong as milk crates but it gives me 6 individual bins to separate meat.

Backyard

WKR

This is exactly what we do(blaze orange string so ya can't miss it). Just have to get in the habit of locking it every time you shut the door.