Supplements

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
So what kind of supplements and or energy bars are you using to keep pushing through the trek ? Whether its hunting or hiking or marathon running ? Going to do the Bataan Death March in the spring and going to need help I'm sure.

Last edited:

KJH

WKR
For the Bataan Death March, I'd be more worried about chafing than energy bars... Comes from experience.

HookUp

WKR
I shot an elk in a hell hole this year. 4-5 hour round trips nearly straight vertical. I wish I could say I was a hunter athlete and it was not problem. After day one I started to develop cramping muscles, I had prepared for this with salt tabs I had left at my camp. I took 2-3 pink salt tabs a day and got my legs back with no cramps. Lot nearly 15 pounds in 4 days, left the hunt just a little tired. No back pain (thanks Kifaru) and no sore muscles or cramps. Grabbed an extra bottle for next year, made me a believer.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Elec...UTF8&qid=1543684601&sr=8-3&keywords=flow+salt

For chaffing my system is EXOFFICIO underwear and monkey butt powder. Havent had an issue in years. The regular EXO's work better for me than the sport cuts which can bind up in my pants.

530Chukar

WKR
Choose what you like to eat. I tend to stay away from bars because they get boring fast. You will need carbs before and during the hike. I’d focus the protein for the evenings to help muscle recovery. Pop tarts, Oreos and gummy bears worked wonders for me this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
It's probably about 70/30 haters/believers in general on supplement use. I'm someone that doesn't feel like I NEED supplements, I have enough willpower to grind through about anything physically challenging on a hunting trip, I have and I will. That being said, why not use a supplement if it makes that grind a little easier to deal with? They won't give you wings but they sure as hell will up your energy level for a rough pack out or getting back to camp after a 20 mile death hike trying to find brown. Even just to the point that during a hard miserable day something to flavor your water gives you a little relief, and I realize that can be done with anything from Chrystal Light to Gatorade but I like to flavor with something that has some kick too. I would try out several, you'll hear they're all the same and for the most part that's true. In that case I purchase based on company philosophy, I like companies that give back 2% or more to conservation so I tend to gravitate toward them.

As far as bars go, I like to pack all kinds of stuff, protein and calories are important but so are natural ingredients, in my opinion. I carry a diverse variety of stuff. From jerky off the shelf, lot of preservatives, to jerky I've made. From break the bank Perfect Bars to Justin's nut butter. Off Grid trail mix is something really satisfying but so is Great Value trail mix.

In the end, experiment a lot in the offseason, you'll figure it out.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hating on supplements seems to be a popular thing but if everyone actually hated them, they wouldn't stay in business. Are they necessary, absolutely not. Do they help whether placebo or legitimately, in my opinion yes.

If you're going a supplement route, you probably don't want a typical preworkout. That run through a brick wall feeling is short lived and comes with a crash at the end of the boost. I'd check more into an endurance tailored mix like Tailwind Nutrition or Hammer Nutrition.

For 20+ mile days I pound a Nalgene of electrolyte mix in the parking lot and then carry a Ziplock bag of trail mix, Ziplock bag of smokehouse almonds, 1 snickers bar, 1 protein bar, two Salomon soft flasks of supplement mix, and a bladder with plain water. All of it can be consumed without stopping. It all carries in my Salomon ADV Skin 12 really well with no chaffing on nipples or shoulders. Personally I haven't done anything that this won't cover for a solid effort throughout the day.

Apollo117

WKR
I'd say your hydration and diet the days before are more important than the day of the activity. Example is marathon runners eating a ton of carbs and a little protein the day before a race. Immediately before the race they eat slow burning, easily digestible carbs (supplements). During the race they hydrate with water or electrolyte mixes. Also, they eat gel based supplements that are predominantly sugar with some slow burning carbs. At the end of the race they take more electrolyte mixes and later eat a protein and carbs heavy meal. It's proven that the energy consumed the day before is what is used during the activity. Any additional energy added during the activity is just replacing what's being used.

Why is this important? Your body breaks down and absorbs carbs, fats and protein at different speeds and requires different amounts of energy to break down and absorb each type. Carbs require the least amount of energy to break down and can be turned into usable energy quicker.

With this is mind, I'd recommend a carb heavy meal the evening before and the morning of the activity. During the activity I'd suggest energy gels and electrolyte mixes. After the activity take more electrolyte mixes and a protein supplement.