Idaho salmon zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munch

FNG
Hello all. I'm planning trip to Idaho for next year and will be hunting the salmon unit. Anyone have any tips? Looking to pack in a couple miles and set up base camp. Looking for any information I can get. I did some elk hunting in Washington state a few times but nothing like the Idaho wilderness.

OP
M

Munch

FNG
Thank you. Have been following it for sometime but never had anything to add. Now with the trip pending I have all kinds of questions

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I too am planning a similar trip and the best advice I can give you is to call the biologist in the areas you are looking at and talk with them. I was on the fence and the phone call made my decision pretty easy. You will find most folks are pretty tight lipped, and I can't blame them. All areas have elk, as stated in a lot of threads on here, but the biologists will help you narrow it down. Make sure you have a list of questions handy and they will help answer them and then some.

Good luck.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted the Salmon last year (2017). Hunted the Sawtooth region the year before. This year, I hunted Colorado for a change of pace. I still haven't got an elk, but hopefully the 4th time is a charm.

This year we are discussing the Salmon again. The camp grounds and trail heads will be full of campers. You can work past them and have large areas to yourself. Only other hunters I saw away from the roads, were 2 guys on horseback. Still trying to figure out the anterless deer tag thing. Despite everyone talking about a 2016 mule deer kill-off, we were seeing mule deer everyday. BIL did shoot a small mulie buck.

Big tip: Have chains. Biggest mistake we made was not having chains. The mud was even worse than the snow. We spent a lot of time trying to get to areas we had planned on hunting, only to be forced to turn around and try plan B and C.

Another tip. Get the Avenza app and download the Salmon-Challis NF Motor Vehicle Use Map series. There are 3 or 4 maps you will need, they do not show terrain, but show the road networks which will help you out in getting around. You can also get them for free in the forestry offices.

OP
M

Munch

FNG
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know where a good place to park and hike in? I'm also thinking of trying to find a packer to get us in a few miles. Any information on that would be helpful. Going blind so any help at all is really welcomed.

Gobbler36

WKR
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know where a good place to park and hike in? I'm also thinking of trying to find a packer to get us in a few miles. Any information on that would be helpful. Going blind so any help at all is really welcomed.

Really?? Hopefully no one puts this info on a public forum.
Get OnX and a map and start finding areas yourself then when you have a specific question maybe come back and shoot a pm or two.

Broomd

WKR
lol! Adam, notice that this advice comes from other out-of-state hunters.
Inquiring guys with ZERO cred or postings here are handed info that may take years to earn with boot leather.

Boggles the mind.

Gobbler36

WKR
lol! Adam, notice that this advice comes from other out-of-state hunters.
Inquiring guys with ZERO cred or postings here are handed info that may take years to earn with boot leather.

Boggles the mind.
Yes it does

Do your own homework and pm guys with more specific info. Maybe they help maybe not but don’t put things like this out to the masses. Does no one any good

OP
M

Munch

FNG
Adam, don't answer if you don't want to. Maybe someone wants to supply information. No need putting negative remarks. Most sportsman don't mind sharing information with other sportsman

OP
M

Munch

FNG
Broomd, LOL. You have no idea what my Cred is or time I have invested. Just looking for information. I can tell both of you guys are butt wipes.

OP
M

Munch

FNG
I will narrow my questions to those that know the answers. Those of you with no ethics or morals can just plain not reply.

Broomd

WKR
Welcome to the forum, Munch.
You have been here less than two days with zero cred, and your time invested here at this great forum is all of six postings all in this thread wanting to have valuable and hard-won information given to you, to and including where to park! lol...
I'll give you credit, that takes some chutzpah.

Spend some time here and actually interact with members, get to know people and share some insight. Maybe then will you gain some cred.
And calling active, contributing members here 'butt wipes' ain't a good start.

Brendan

WKR
Munch, what you're not getting is that these threads with specific locations can RUIN a spot... What rubbed people the wrong way is that there are hundreds, if not thousands of these "I'm not asking for your honey hole..." threads...

My opinion, and that of many here, never ever discuss specific spots on an open forum.... Dont ask, don't tell...

I will narrow my questions to those that know the answers. Those of you with no ethics or morals can just plain not reply.

And, great way to insult a whole bunch of long standing members here... You're off to a great start...

OP
M

Munch

FNG
Not looking to insult or take anyones honey hole. I'm looking for place to park my truck and walk into the woods. Where I live you just can't pull off the side of the road and hunt. But that is OK. I'm trying to delete this forum. I will do it myself. But don't be mad if I happen to stroll into your spot

Brendan

WKR
That's exactly the type of info that should not be asked for or posted in public. It will 100% direct more traffic to that spot...

Edit: Or, people will direct you to areas they and their friends don't and won't hunt....

Trust me, you're better off finding spots on your own and asking for advice on how to identify them

Not looking to insult or take anyones honey hole. I'm looking for place to park my truck and walk into the woods. Where I live you just can't pull off the side of the road and hunt. But that is OK. I'm trying to delete this forum. I will do it myself. But don't be mad if I happen to stroll into your spot

OP
M

Munch

FNG
I know better than to ask anything again. Also, I would have thought someone may PM information. But that is ok. I will figure it out

GregB

WKR
There's something to be said for doing some map research, and just picking a spot on the map and going for it. At worst you narrow down the list of areas, and maybe you'll find your own "honeyhole". And if you do find animals after all the work of researching and hiking maybe you'll understand why people are tight lipped about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.