Gators and hogs with a bow

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to kick off my 2019 bowhunting road trip season in Feb. with Gators and Hogs in Florida. Does anybody have any knowledge or insight into a Florida outfitter that specializes in bowhunting gators and hogs?

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Gator hunting is by draw. So your outfitter will have to have drawn tags. Pretty easy, a hassle, bit costly.

Hogs are everywhere where there’s mud, green roots and habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray P

FNG
What part of Florida are you looking at? Gator season doesnt start until August. You can apply for tags in May. The success rate to get drawn is pretty decent. I believe some private ranches with outfitters can hunt year round? That will be pretty expensive. If you draw your own tags, than it will be a little cheaper for a guide to just take you. It is pretty equipment intensive with bow, floats, harpons, bang sticks etc. It will definately get your blood pumping with a 12 ft gator pulling your boat around in the pitch black! Good luck

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking for a private outfitter because of the Feb date of when I will be in FL. Im not worried about cost.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking do an outfitter, check out Kempher Ranch and Central Florida Trophy Hunts. Both will do Hunts on private land year round as long as there are enough landowner tags allocated by FWC. Both places are just outside Orlando. Once you get 30 minutes from town, the clock rolls back 100 years. Not a lot has changed in the rachlands and marsh.
Not sure of your time frame, but as the weather cools off the alligator hunting gets harder, as the Gators will hole up deeper in the marsh, but the hog hunting gets better.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
After looking at many gator outfitters I went with Ross Hammock Ranch for my "high Fence" gator hunt with a bow. I say "High fence" because to some, any time you hire and outfitter in a diff state for game animals you dont have access to in your home state, some want to pretend you are hunting in a "pen".

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
After looking at many gator outfitters I went with Ross Hammock Ranch for my "high Fence" gator hunt with a bow. I say "High fence" because to some, any time you hire and outfitter in a diff state for game animals you dont have access to in your home state, some want to pretend you are hunting in a "pen".
I've been putting in for South Carolina draw for a couple years

Ray P

FNG
Wow.........I was just logging in to get back to you and recommend Harold Ross. His ranch is 15 mins from the house! The "lodge" isnt the greatest, but you will most definately be put on the game! It is high fenced, but it covers tons of land. Hogs Galore in this part of the world! Western levy county Fl is probably 15 ft above sea level and swampy as it gets! If the weather is warm when youre here, please invest in a thermacell! We have biting gnats called " no seeums" that will make your stay miserable. Im sure you will be put on your quarry! Those guys are top notch. Good luck and let us know how you do. If you tag out early, hit me up and we will go get us some redfish!

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Im setting up another bow for the gator portion of this hunt with an AMS reel so I dont have to alter my main bow I use for all other species.

StorMay05

FNG
Sharp Things, sounds like you’re gonna be using arrow on some gator rope, my favorite way to do it. What arrows are you gonna use? I know muzzy has came out with the Gator Getters but if your a DIYer I can show you how we make them from a regular bow fishing arrow. Same concept as the GG but basically the way to do it before they were being produced.

It’s a lot of fun to hunt them like that you need to 3-5 ft for a good shot. Good luck!

StorMay05

FNG
42b6a69dc7161eef19e80043a27945dc.jpg
dc07266ba944860d94be67086b19773b.jpg
93b8dd0509585074ab309c7f2ee1b7ab.jpg
352242ac04345a75f7a2dc7823be9d03.jpg

The steps for this are pretty simple.
1. Knock the roll pin out holding the head to the shaft.
2. Cut the head off by cutting the shaft at the base of the head. Once removed drill out the shaft. You maybe able to heat the glue and remove the head without cutting or drilling, not sure haven’t had to try.
3. Drill a 1/8-3/16 hole in the solid part of the arrowhead. This is for the line to run through.
4. Make sure the blue line holder on the arrow stays on. Add a little electric tape around the shaft to keep it from sliding off.

5. Run some gator line or wire through the one hole on the line holder, run it through the hole drilled on the head and tie it off.

6. Slide the head back on the shaft, doesn’t have to be tight but not super loose. Now use a rubber band or one wrap of electric tap to hold the head to the shaft.

Once the gator is shot the shaft should work it’s way out of the head, which is why you want to run it through the line holder. When you start pulling on the line the head should pivot and hold flat against the inside of his skin.

If all goes right should have some gator to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a very similar set up as StorMay05 with a few small changes. I used Steelforce Gator broadheads. I also added a foot of small metal cable that attached to the broad head on one end and the rope with the arrow and buoy on the other end, to add some abrasion resistance.

StorMay05

FNG
Never heard of steel force before, they do look effective. With this setup you can use wire if you want also. Shallow Thoughts I use a crab trap float too, just forgot to mention it in my post.

Agreed on the crab trap float, cheap and effective. I tried using the aluminum bow fishing arrows but the gator would still bend them randomly (probably gator rolled them up in the float line). I switched to the fiberglass ones like you have pictured. I've also been cheap and cut them down and used them in a cross bow. I only switched to a crossbow because my bow is set up for me and only I could shoot the gator, but now anyone can shoot the gator with crossbow.

On a side note...I think gator hunting is one of the more unique hunts you can do (depending on your method of hunting). But it combines almost everything people love about hunting. From a boat you can spot and stalk, you can call them in like elk or turkeys, and it's truly a team effort. We would spot and stalk them from the boat. Once they are located we would call them in. There was one guy running the boat and trolling motor, one guy with the spot light and directing the boat driver, and of course the shooter. Once the shot lands...that's when you find out how good of a team you are! Don't get tangled in the float line, watch the float take off, retrieve the float, fight the gator, hold gator boat side, now bangstick or pith the gator, don't forget to cleaning/butchering.

Enjoy

OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive wanted to take an alligator with a bow so In feb. 2019, I will drive to the Sunshine state to hunt gators and hogs with a bow. Im including hogs because Ive taken hogs in 3 states already and they are a fun bow hunt and good to eat. The only issue with bowhunting these two species is that I will need 2 different bows because the bow I use to do all my bowhunting is not set up for bowfishing or for gator hunting.

I will use an old compound bow for the gator bow and set it up with all the gear I need. The first step putting arrow rest on the bow that will support the 1000+ grain solid fiberglass arrow. I have an old NAP Quicktune 360 rest that I can use but the arrow support (launcher) is a bit too narrow and I can envision the arrow falling off the support during the rigors hunting of so I will need to modify it to fit my needs.

S0IUgud.jpg

The factory launcher needs to be narrow to clear fletching for typical bowhunting and using arrows with fletching but because my gator hunting arrows wont have any fletching, I can tolerate (and want) a wider launcher with more support to make sure the arrow does not fall off the rest.

The standard launcher shown below.

LP6Bj6b.jpg

I designed a new launcher and fired up my 3D printer and made a wider launcher. Here you can see the original and the replacement I made.

hp2i9ZX.jpg

VSo6bUv.jpg

wQCnCgm.jpg

The newly installed launcher.

7y4184X.jpg

Next up is mounting the bowfishing reel with the line that will connect the arrow (and hopefully the alligator) to the bow.

OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
We depart in about a week for the gator and hog hunt. Ive had the gator bow setup for a while and have been shooting it. For the hog portion of this hunt I will use my usual Bowtech. The gator bow is an old Oregon brand bow I added a big game reel to. Its set to 55 pounds draw. I designed and 3D printed a mount for my Ultimate Predator Adventure cam (like a GO Pro but better)

iQU7x5b.jpg

oOxsdla.jpg

gv6FMRB.jpg

uGxwAHE.jpg

Ive been experimenting with metal arrow slides rather than the tip. Plastic ones and a variety of fish points.

aQGeHvz.jpg

For the hog portion of the hunt Im falling back on a tried and tru Woodsman. Ie taken hogs and deer with them in the past with great results. All of these have passed through one species or another and have been re-honed and ready for service. With the adapter, they are 150 grain.

KxxJgUV.jpg

We will drive as far as Chattanooga TN for the first leg and then to Clearwater the next day where we will vacation for several days before heading to the hunt destination in Inglis FL.

OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
The first leg of the gator and hog hunt is under way. I need to acclimate to the environment in Florida. The week before departing WI we had temps with wind chills around -50F and 10 inches of snow last week so I thought it proper to slowly get used to the local conditions.

vi0mZ8w.jpg

E403EO6.jpg

3aauaV4.jpg

d0JNG6z.jpg

AuPIduJ.jpg

pQq2ts8.jpg