Piper cub with 33's lower 48 hunts 2019

Have one point for Wyoming deer elk and antelope. Nothing in any other state. Alaska isn't an option.

Probably wouldn't go further west then Idaho/Utah realistically.

Time frame is 25th of September to about 26th of October.

Any good hunts you'd recommend if you had free use of a plane next year.

Looking for adventure more then huge trophy.

• Banned
OP
N
at 10 plus points required to draw and no random tags issued not giving anything away....

But Wyoming elk unit 2 is a great place to have a plane to do a diy hunt and kill a giant as an example

mtnkid85

WKR
Any of the land locked sections in North central or eastern MT would be a fun trip. OTC for deer in a lot of those units.
Id also be looking into the backcountry strips in the Frank Church.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, there are many restrictions on landing a plane in some of these areas. I'm no expert on the subject but it would be easy to check with the USFS,etc to get the skinny.

if I'm not mistaken, thats why Randy Newberg uses a helo to access landlocked ground...it never actually lands.

That said, I'm sure there are places you could utilize the plane...just not sure how/where.

Last edited:

bbell

WKR
I have looked around a little bit because of my interest in flying and if I was to fly, backcountry off airport would be my focus. Someday maybe. There are websites that list areas in each state that have airstrips and details about them. Idaho has a ton compared to other states if I remember correctly. Every state is different with rules, but for the most part it’s kinda like driving to your hunting area. Land on the strips that are allowed and do what ever wait time the state requires. Good luck! Would love to do something like that. Make sure who ever is flying has experience. 33” bush wheels don’t make a bush plane, the pilot does.

slick

WKR
Unlimited’s are primarily Wilderness. Not sure where you guys are thinking of landing a bush plane up there?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unlimited’s are primarily Wilderness. Not sure where you guys are thinking of landing a bush plane up there?

I was more just thinking of scouting it aerially. Unless you can’t do that? I’m not familiar with Wilderness rules.

slick

WKR
Ah makes sense.. would be neat, but not sure how realistic. Between finding them, landing, driving to trailhead, hiking in, and shooting the next morning would either have to be lucky or one bad ass SOB.

Wouldn’t hurt to try and locate them though, or do some scouting prior to the season. Those sheep use the timber and move around lots. Few things working against you, but if the guy has time and money- hell. Go for it.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I think they shut down flying for “scouting” 5 days or so before the season now in Wyoming. Seems all the primo mule deer outfitters aren’t killing quite as many big bucks now...amazing coincidence. I know a couple DIY sheep hunters years ago that had their hunt ruined by all that in season “scouting”.

mtmuley

WKR
Guess I"m of the mindset that if you need aircraft to scout or access a critter, it just ain't worth it. Good luck. mtmuley

jmez

WKR
I didn't know it was a bushplane. I figured he wanted to fly out west and hunt. Didn't consider he wanted to land it in the hunting area!

BuzzH

WKR
I think they shut down flying for “scouting” 5 days or so before the season now in Wyoming. Seems all the primo mule deer outfitters aren’t killing quite as many big bucks now...amazing coincidence. I know a couple DIY sheep hunters years ago that had their hunt ruined by all that in season “scouting”.

Here is the regulation in Wyoming...WYBHA made this happen.

ection 12. Use of Aircraft to Sport or Locate Wildlife. No person shall use any
aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1
through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the
operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game
animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.